Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Tampere City, Tampere, Finland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat

So I did not see a thread for this hotel yet.

This is a newish hotel, openened in January 2020, it is a newbuild courtyard in Tampere Finland.

229 rooms, attached to Tampere Talo which is a congress venue.

It it clean and fresh, but true to courtyard standards not much on offer beyond basic hotel offerings.

Only standard rooms available in a King or Twin Bed confiuration. The hotel does have ONE junior suite, but as a mere platinum I was not offered a upgrade.

Showers only no bathtubs here.

Rooms have a TV fridge and a coffee machine. The coffee machine is NOT very good, I had two units and both did not produce even a dl of coffee.

Bar downstairs has a nice and has a nice selection. Prices are standard hotel bar prices but no promotions.

Restaurant is open for breakfast daily and dinner Tuesday to Saturday. Lunch is served on weekdays.

There is a small kiosk in the lobby as well.

No Sauna which is a first for me in a Finnish Hotel.
Small gym on the first floor.

The hotel staff is very engaging and service oriented.

Location is a bit on the side but walking distance to stores and restaurants, as well as the central station

nacho and platbrownguy like this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Look a lot better than the Sokos hotel in Vantaa!
kauppias likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by nacho
Look a lot better than the Sokos hotel in Vantaa!
A different type of hotel for sure
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
This hotel build sounds like a direct transplant of US design configuration to Finland. Were they doing much business?

David
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
This hotel build sounds like a direct transplant of US design configuration to Finland. Were they doing much business?

David
Very quiet, but then again in these times many hotels are.

Some very quirky details in the hotels, and F&B is a little lost IMHO.

Staff are great though.
The hotel is situated next to the congress/music venue which is pretty much shuttered now.

I am amazed that they are not doing anything to promote the F&B spend here.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: BONVOY Lifetime Platinum , Ay Platinum, Hhonors Diamond
I also visited the property about a week ago, and same feelings that Kauppias posted. Nice clean property with fresh basic rooms, but absolutely nothing to "lure" elite status members in. Breakfast voucher offered only for 10usd, not even €. Seems that US courtyard style have landed in Europe too. Heard that they are already doing some refurbishment for a new room category, but guess that room size is going to be untouched, so basically just some make up.

Had a pleasure of also staying in the only Jr. Suite during summer and it surely was a better room, but towards "wrong" direction so the views were lore or less a highway property style.

I kind of liked the bar, easy going feel and great GT:s.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kelju
I also visited the property about a week ago, and same feelings that Kauppias posted. Nice clean property with fresh basic rooms, but absolutely nothing to "lure" elite status members in. Breakfast voucher offered only for 10usd, not even €. Seems that US courtyard style have landed in Europe too. Heard that they are already doing some refurbishment for a new room category, but guess that room size is going to be untouched, so basically just some make up.

Had a pleasure of also staying in the only Jr. Suite during summer and it surely was a better room, but towards "wrong" direction so the views were lore or less a highway property style.

I kind of liked the bar, easy going feel and great GT:s.

From what I understood they are only changing the very bright LCD cooling panels to a smaller version that wont light up the room...
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Breakfast voucher offered only for 10usd, not even €. Seems that US courtyard style have landed in Europe too.
This is what I dislike about the Courtyard brand. Before MB launch, there wasn't even the US$10 per person for breakfast. I prefer a full service hotel with full free breakfast for Plat and above.

Last edited by CIT85; Feb 20, 2021 at 7:31 pm Reason: Left out the negative. CY was one brand that never offered free breakfast in US. $10/person was only recent years .
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:17 am

Programs: BONVOY Lifetime Platinum , Ay Platinum, Hhonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CIT85
This is what I dislike about the Courtyard brand. Before MB launch, there was even the US$10 per person for breakfast. I prefer a full service hotel with full free breakfast for Plat and above.
Exactly. Marriott should try to straighten all the different policies with different brands. Now it's more or less chaotic even for a frequent traveller. Not an easy task to do for sure.

i have a few nights missing from LT platinum status with 9 years of "service". For what i remember this is the first property that charges me for breakfast outside US, guess that i've just picked the right properties so far.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly. Marriott should try to straighten all the different policies with different brands. Now it's more or less chaotic even for a frequent traveller. Not an easy task to do for sure.

i have a few nights missing from LT platinum status with 9 years of "service". For what i remember this is the first property that charges me for breakfast outside US, guess that i've just picked the right properties so far.
I never get free breakfast at European CYs unless the rate I book is included in it. It really doesn't matter whether you are Titanium/Ambassador.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 4:31 am
Original Poster

At the hotel again, alot of construction going on so quite alot of disturbing noise to be aware of. Also none of the construction. Crews wear masks nor does the hotel mgt seem to take measures to fix this! Might not bother them, but it does bother me 😂

Restaurant is now open for takeaway only due to covid-19 restrictions. Dinner is delivered to rooms at no extra charge. Breakfast also in room only with a 15€ extra delivery charge.

also NO alcohol service for the time being.

Breakfast definitely NOT worth buying here. VERY BASIC imho.

My favorite dish has been the courtyard burger but it seems lately either the cook has changed or his attitude has as my medium rare burgers are now constantly overcooked and very well done/dryish. Several mentions of this to staff has NOT made a difference.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What would you rate the Courtyard compared to Scandinavian brands like Radissons or Sokos or Scandic? I have stayed in all 3 in Finland. Mr. stayed at the Sokos at Vantaa and it was terrible, but the one we stayed in Oulu was pretty nice. Breakfast at Sokos was ok - pretty standard Scandinavian, Scandic and Radissons in Helsinki were much better. I went to Finland before I was into hotels and points
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

What would you rate the Courtyard compared to Scandinavian brands like Radissons or Sokos or Scandic? I have stayed in all 3 in Finland. Mr. stayed at the Sokos at Vantaa and it was terrible, but the one we stayed in Oulu was pretty nice. Breakfast at Sokos was ok - pretty standard Scandinavian, Scandic and Radissons in Helsinki were much better. I went to Finland before I was into hotels and points
I have only stayed at solos hotels twice both were ok, and value wise I thought they offered better value then courtyard and the breakfast was MUCH better. Even the Holiday inn breakfast beats the CY breakfast here.

Radisson much better, but to be honest it has been years since I stayed there tthere
I honestly don't understand the need for a CY brand, what does it bring value wise? Definitely a odd brand to start with
nacho likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kauppias
I have only stayed at solos hotels twice both were ok, and value wise I thought they offered better value then courtyard and the breakfast was MUCH better. Even the Holiday inn breakfast beats the CY breakfast here.

Radisson much better, but to be honest it has been years since I stayed there tthere
I honestly don't understand the need for a CY brand, what does it bring value wise? Definitely a odd brand to start with
Me too, my Radisson stay in Helsinki was when they offered SK check in at the hotel (we couldn't do it because they didn't do it during summer). Last time I was in Finland was like 10 years ago.

My first CY was CY by HAM airport, the first going to a hotel in Germany that we got a real double bed (not two combined into one kind), and the bed was substantially better than the other brands. I can kind of see CY as a more premium brand in Germany but certainly not in the US.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Me too, my Radisson stay in Helsinki was when they offered SK check in at the hotel (we couldn't do it because they didn't do it during summer). Last time I was in Finland was like 10 years ago.

My first CY was CY by HAM airport, the first going to a hotel in Germany that we got a real double bed (not two combined into one kind), and the bed was substantially better than the other brands. I can kind of see CY as a more premium brand in Germany but certainly not in the US.
I can honestly say it's my least favorite of the Marriott brands, I double I will stay again if I have ANY other options....

It's a ok airport night type of brand but just does not being anything to the table for me...
Kelju likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.