Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Josun Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Fitness Facility Closed Every First Monday

The first Monday of the month, the hotel's fitness facility is closed. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

The Westin Josun Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:39 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I think Chosun location is rotten but the hotel is quite nice. Newly renovated rooms. I also got a room with a loaner cellphone and a ipaq. Fun for those who have never used them.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:33 am

There are several schools of thought about the best location is Seoul, which is a sprawling city with bad traffic congestion at rush hour.

The areas which may interest visitors are:

1. Central Seoul (Westin, Lotte, Plaza; Koreana and Hilton a little further, Shilla even further) near City Hall, within walking distance of a number of old palaces, national museum, antique district, Namdaemun traditional market, corporate headquarters, etc. There is hardly any nightlife in this area.
The traditional Seoul elite favors a work out and breakfast at the Westin since its renovation (the Lotte health club was the previous favorite). The Shilla has its fans, but they tend to have a less busy schedule (traffic in that area is always bad).

2. Kangnam, 'south of the river' (Ritz, I-C, JW, Sheraton, etc.), which is a recently developed area with mostly financial/tech companies, and upscale nightlife for many young professionals who live and work in the area, but no cultural sites.
Due to the building restrictions in central Seoul, all of the recent luxury hotels were built in Kangnam.

3. Itaewon (Hyatt; Holiday Inn?), with relics of Korea's recent past as a developing country, such as shopping for knockoffs, bars for US Army personnel, etc. Self-respecting Koreans hardly go to that area except for a quick shopping trip when needing Nikes or suitcases.
The Hyatt, which is isolated atop a hill, is a nice hotel, however, and I believe popular with expats.

It all depends on what you want to do in Seoul. For a leisure visitor in Seoul, that means choosing between sightseeing or shopping/cafe hopping/nightlife, I suppose.

Commuting between central Seoul and Kangnam is impractical, except perhaps by subway. The Hyatt requires taking a taxi to most destinations, but is located between the two.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Great post, Monahos. Right on the money, in my experience.

I think it comes down to the fact there is no ideal hotel in the perfect location in Seoul. Pick what you are comfortable with in terms of the brand and reviews and go with it. The concierge team at any of those mentioned above can help make a good experience.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 11:36 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Also second Monahos' comments.
Keep in mind that the subway system is pretty good in Seoul, so you aren't necessarily stranded during the day in one part of town.

Traffic can really truly be horrible. At rush hour in the rain, it has taken me more than 2 hours to get from near the Chosun to the Ritz (15 minutes late at night with no traffic).
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Decide on where you want to be or spend the most time. Cab fares are cheap getting around and the subway is extensive. However, there are basically 2 downtowns (City Hall and Gangnam) so pick wisely as it is 30 minute ride between the two even though are on the same line.

I have stayed at both the Westin Chosun and Grand Hyatt and enjoyed both however, choose the Westin in winter and the Hyatt in summer. Grand Hyatt is a hike up the hill with irregular shuttle service but fantastic outdoor pool and gym. Westin has a very nice indoor pool and spa facilities. I thought the view was nicer from the Hyatt because it is on a hill but even as Diamond, I did not get a suite. However, the Westin rooms were smaller but very well appointed and Club was better along with free Internet access computer in room! But for me the big choice winner was the Heavenly Bed.

Other notes, Ritz Carlton is fairly expensive but somewhat removed and there are 2 Intercontinental hotels within blocks of each other with only one associated with the global brand which adds some confusion.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Jun 16, 2003, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Westin Chosun using SPG50 or Grand Hyatt on FFN? Help please.

I know this is a ever ending topic. On my search only three items in the last six months searching by Chosun. So please help me. I have a reservation at the Westin Chosun using a SPG50 and also the Grand Hyatt on Faster Free Nights. These nights are never really free so I figure the price is a little less at the Hyatt. I have top tier status at both. My number one priority is to be a tourist. I like taking a couple guided tours and then resort to just walking around. I'd like a upgrade based upon my status and just enjoy being lazy in my comfortable room. Free if possible internet access from the room is nice. Is this still the case at the Westin Chosun? I prefer some shops around so I can buy water and snacks. Not spending my bucks at the Hotel. Spa facilities would be nice. How are the prices for such? It sounds like KAL bus transport from ICN to the hotels is it. Right now I lean towards the Westin. Please please post your comments as they are appreciated and I will not be bored. Thanks

[This message has been edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE (edited 06-16-2003).]
Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:06 am

Programs: SPG Plat, lowly UA Silver
I just finished a one night stay this weekend and was pleasantly surprised when I was upgraded to a Deluxe Suite as a platinum. A great room with a nice 42" plasma screen TV and computer.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH Silver, KL/AF Gold, *wood Plat, Amex Cent, Amex RED
Also got an upgrade to a suite with a 42 inch plasma screen. Very impressive. Chosun was also, surprisingly, the cheapest out of Seoul's Super Deluxe hotels at the time of my last booking (March).

However, overall I have a slight preference towards Shilla over Chosun. Main reasons are less noise and a much nicer gym.

Hyatt rooms were weary as (apart from brand new Hyatts) they tend to be, in my experience. JJ Mahoney at Hyatt, however, has the best talent out of all nightclubs in Seoul.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 11:43 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I just stayed at Westin Chosun.
It was a great stay using Y27 free night promotion(2 free nights).

I was upgraded to Junior suite(XX05).
The room has flat panel PC, Fax, Cellular Phone, and suprisingly 50"(?) plazma TV and washlet(Japanese style bidet). This was the first time to see plazma TV in any hotel room.

The room has about 600sq in size and spacious.
Good executive lounge and its services.

Easy access to Shopping & restaurant area and subway station.

I recommend the hotel.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:18 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. I am leaning towards the Hyatt. But also have a reservation at the Westin.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 12:13 am

Programs: UA GS 1M, AA Gold 1M
I stayed in the Westin Chosun in March. It was a very nice Westin indeed. I was upgraded to a suite with my Platinum status (which I have loss since :-( ). The plasma TV is ridiculous for a hotel, but why would you expect anything less from the flat panel display captial of the world. There was a computer in the room with free internet access. The bathroom is also larger than most Westin suites that I have enjoyed in the past.

Another reason why I liked the Westin Chosun so much is because the sultan of Malaysia was staying there while I was there. Can't go wrong with royalty. The hotel had a small, and very elegantly done sign welcoming the sultan's royal entourage. A nice and subtle touch.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 7:12 am

I am getting tempted. Plasma TV, suite upgrade and computer with internet access. Oh my.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 8:07 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
All depends where you plan to spend most of your time and what you wish to do. I have stayed at both and found that the Westin room was much nicer- better bedding, fast computer in room, more luxorious bathroom and toiletries. More of a business oriented hotel due to amenities and location. There are two lounges as well with great full breakfast. I do not remember a lounge at Hyatt.

However, Hyatt has a resort like atmosphere as it is on a hill overlooking the river and south Seoul. It has an expansive outdoor pool and a nicer gym. It also has a spa plus the evenings are more lively with an a great luau style seafood buffet poolside and the nightclub JJ Mahoney's.

As for locations, Hyatt is near touristy Itaewon which I particularly did not like, but your opinion may differ. It is a 20 minute hike down and about 30 back up. Shuttle service is about every 30 minutes but I found it to be late most of the time.

Westin is about 1 block from the subway and surrounded by many restaurants. Hope this helps. If you want to be secluded and simply enjoy a nice hotel and a good value, look into the Hilton Grand, the one closer to the airport, not the train station Hilton.

------------------
Going back to the bAAsics
Feed the world for FREE! One click daily- www.thehungersite.com
Old Jul 10, 2003, 8:18 am

Ahhhhhhh! I thought I had this all figured out but no I need to do a rethink. After a day of being a tourist I let cooling my jets in the plushest room I can get based upon my status. Does the Westin have a Club lounge? Please advise. Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:25 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Westin has 2 lounges, one on the top floor and one on the 7th I believe. The 7th has less people at breakfast time. Concierge are all wonderful and speak good English. Nice view over square from both and separate alcoves with library if you need more privacy.

------------------
Going back to the bAAsics
Feed the world for FREE! One click daily- www.thehungersite.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.