Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel package receiving charges?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
a 50 pound box of 9mm ammo
Are there no rules or regulations about having this type of package shipped to a hotel and have them 'look after' it until you take delivery ?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
If it's a package of papers or a small shopping parcel delivered to the hotel for me and I'm already there registered as a guest, I would not expect to pay a fee for receiving it.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If it's a package of papers or a small shopping parcel delivered to the hotel for me and I'm already there registered as a guest, I would not expect to pay a fee for receiving it.
In general it is either a fee or no fee for receiving parcels/papers. When you start creating exceptions in this case the size of the package there is always a gray area as then people question why some items are exempt and others aren't. A small shopping parcel to one person might not be small to another party.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:09 pm

You rarely get room service without a delivery charge at most properties these days. Why would other deliveries be any different?

Cheers,
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:05 pm

Hotel package receiving charges?

OP: i had previously discussed this with the manager at this property and this particular hotel outsources their package /business shipping department to a 3rd party company so even if they wanted to they can't waive the fee. the bellman can hold things in their storage area for free but if it gets delivered via one of the major carriers it's out of their hand..
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Are there no rules or regulations about having this type of package shipped to a hotel and have them 'look after' it until you take delivery ?
It's state specific. Nevada has fairly liberal gun laws in general, so I'm assuming it would be similar to my home state (Texas) where you just need an adult to sign for the package. Kind of like having wine delivered if you have ever done that (and to mention another area with state specific laws).

Now the hotel could always have their own rules due to liability issues, so I'd imagine it would be a good idea to ask first.

As far as the package size, ammo is very heavy relative to its size. After all, it's primary components are lead, brass and gunpowder, none of which is especially light. I'd imagine that a 50 pound box would be fairly small.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by luna6
In my opinion, no 50 pound box should be described as small. Never mind that it is ammo being sent to a hotel!
Weight and size are not the same thing
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You're lucky - if you tried that in Europe you'd have been arrested. For Vegas in general I assume everything has a charge.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: SPG lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite, Priority Club Platinum Elite,
Unless I'm getting a crate delivered, I would be FURIOUS if a hotel nickel-and-dimed me like this.

This has happened to me twice in 2 years. Once at a Sheraton in LA and once at a Westin in New Orleans. Both times I complained and refused to pay and they waived the charge.

This is the kind of little ........ that would seriously make me change hotels.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You're lucky - if you tried that in Europe you'd have been arrested. For Vegas in general I assume everything has a charge.
I would hope that anyone travelling to a country takes the time to educate themselves on the laws specific to that country. If not, they are just asking for trouble. Another example would be shipping a bottle of vodka to your hotel in Saudi Arabia, or having some chewing gum sent to you in Singapore.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:17 pm

This year I have a conference at a hotel which accepted my packages last year for free. This year they will refuse all packages not sent through the conference service provider (at their $110/100 pounds, minimum 200 pounds exorbitant fees or whatever).

It's actually making me think that I'll stay at the Hyatt a few miles away instead of the conference hotel.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by djibouti
This year I have a conference at a hotel which accepted my packages last year for free. This year they will refuse all packages not sent through the conference service provider (at their $110/100 pounds, minimum 200 pounds exorbitant fees or whatever).

It's actually making me think that I'll stay at the Hyatt a few miles away instead of the conference hotel.
Sounds like the hotel is getting quite a kickback!

You might look for shipping services that allow you to have them hold the item at their office and pick up yourself or arrange a private courier that will deliver to your room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.