Any SPG transfers from HHonors?

Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Any SPG transfers from HHonors?

I have been Gold at Hilton for the past 4 or 5 years and have around half a million HHonors points in the bank. Yesterday, while talking with a rep on an unrelated Amex Platinum issue, the rep mentioned that my Amex Plat card gets me a free bump to SPG Gold. I've stayed at a few Sheratons many many years ago, but tend to keep my stays to either Hilton or Marriott properties. Between the points devaluation and the pretty crappy customer service I've been experiencing with Hilton as of late, I'm seriously contemplating making a full switch somewhere else.

So thus my question - any former HHonors members that made the switch to SPG? Thoughts, dislikes, likes? One of the best things I like about Hilton is the easy cancellation policy without a higher rate - which is appears that SPG (sometimes?) charges a higher rate for a reservation that can be cancelled without penalty.

For a reference point, I usually stay in a hotel 30-50 nights out of the year for both business and pleasure. My travel is usually within the Continental US, with various trips to the Caribbean, South America, Western Europe and SE Asia. Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Quite a few people did after the major devaluations some years back. I've certainly not regretted the move.

Earning and burning rates are lower on SPG properties than Hiltons (even now), but after ~4 years as Platinum with SPG vs. maybe 4 with Hilton as Diamond I feel SPG and their hotels make a bit more effort on status and they undeniably have a much wider range of hotels to choose from.

One factor against that is that Hilton Gold is (was?) a much better status than SPG Gold. SPG Gold won't really get you much of anything nowadays, but Hilton Gold at least when I was last there was almost as good as Diamond. If you did stay 50 nights in a year (or 25 stays) you'd make SPG Platinum which in my experience has been very much worthwhile - especially outside the Continental US.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Quite a few people did after the major devaluations some years back. I've certainly not regretted the move.

Earning and burning rates are lower on SPG properties than Hiltons (even now), but after ~4 years as Platinum with SPG vs. maybe 4 with Hilton as Diamond I feel SPG and their hotels make a bit more effort on status and they undeniably have a much wider range of hotels to choose from.

One factor against that is that Hilton Gold is (was?) a much better status than SPG Gold. SPG Gold won't really get you much of anything nowadays, but Hilton Gold at least when I was last there was almost as good as Diamond. If you did stay 50 nights in a year (or 25 stays) you'd make SPG Platinum which in my experience has been very much worthwhile - especially outside the Continental US.
Thanks EuropeanPete - this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. HHonors Gold still offers about the same benefits as Diamond (sans the 48 hour guaranteed room), but other than the bonus points, it has not really been worth much as of late. I can't remember the last time I received a room upgrade and if you ask, the clerks all seem very annoyed at the question (I'm guessing they get it a lot from Gold/Diamonds).

Possibly most importantly, have you found award redemption to be easier/more available/more "affordable" with SPG points?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I don't quite follow this. Hilton even post devaluation has a significantly better earn to burn ratio than SPG, has a larger property footprint and a more consistent free breakfast proposition. There is much to fault with HH these days (not least the lack of standard reward inventory) but a fair comparison is in order. I don't feel especially special or valued as a platinum at SPG properties anymore. I think the balance shifted after the programme changes 3 years ago.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by aves17
I have been Gold at Hilton for the past 4 or 5 years and have around half a million HHonors points in the bank. Yesterday, while talking with a rep on an unrelated Amex Platinum issue, the rep mentioned that my Amex Plat card gets me a free bump to SPG Gold. I've stayed at a few Sheratons many many years ago, but tend to keep my stays to either Hilton or Marriott properties. Between the points devaluation and the pretty crappy customer service I've been experiencing with Hilton as of late, I'm seriously contemplating making a full switch somewhere else.

So thus my question - any former HHonors members that made the switch to SPG? Thoughts, dislikes, likes? One of the best things I like about Hilton is the easy cancellation policy without a higher rate - which is appears that SPG (sometimes?) charges a higher rate for a reservation that can be cancelled without penalty.

For a reference point, I usually stay in a hotel 30-50 nights out of the year for both business and pleasure. My travel is usually within the Continental US, with various trips to the Caribbean, South America, Western Europe and SE Asia. Thanks!
These should be of help and a good start. If you have more questions, you can search this forum or the Hilton forum, for comparison threads.

SPG vs HHonors
Do you prefer SPG or HHonors?
Hilton - Starwood - difference
Marriott / Hilton Gold beat out SPG Platinum
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
These should be of help and a good start. If you have more questions, you can search this forum or the Hilton forum, for comparison threads.

SPG vs HHonors
Do you prefer SPG or HHonors?
Hilton - Starwood - difference
Marriott / Hilton Gold beat out SPG Platinum
Thanks KENNECTED. I did do a search, but I did not go beyond 2014 postings. I did read through the last post you linked to before posting though ^
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I don't quite follow this. Hilton even post devaluation has a significantly better earn to burn ratio than SPG, has a larger property footprint and a more consistent free breakfast proposition. There is much to fault with HH these days (not least the lack of standard reward inventory) but a fair comparison is in order. I don't feel especially special or valued as a platinum at SPG properties anymore. I think the balance shifted after the programme changes 3 years ago.
Would you say your lack of feeling especially special or valued as a SPG Plat is limited to just certain properties, countries or continents, or is it across the board? That is my big issue with HH right now - they've done nothing to really make me feel like a valued customer. When that is combined with an atrocious redemption value (for example, 50k points for a $189/night hotel), I just have a hard time continuing to spend money at their properties.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SPG Gold gets you guaranteed 4 pm checkout times except at resorts and convention centers. It's also good for an enhanced room in the same category as was booked. IIRC you get a beverage or 250 points (125 at the cheap brands) as a welcome amenity. Free wifi used to be a choice, but I think (check the rules) that's free now anyway.

The SPG website has some charts summarizing elite benefits which are spelled out precisely in the T&Cs, also posted on the website.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Free wifi used to be a choice, but I think (check the rules) that's free now anyway.
As long as you book directly through Starwood.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
When that is combined with an atrocious redemption value (for example, 50k points for a $189/night hotel), I just have a hard time continuing to spend money at their properties.
One has to look at earning rates as well as redemption rates.

Hilton, Marriott, and IHG each have 3-4X the worldwide property count of SPG. If you travel widely (and into medium & small markets), you'll need more than SPG.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you travel widely (and into medium & small markets), you'll need more than SPG.
When I go to an area with no SPG, there usually aren't any other chain hotels there, either.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One has to look at earning rates as well as redemption rates.

Hilton, Marriott, and IHG each have 3-4X the worldwide property count of SPG. If you travel widely (and into medium & small markets), you'll need more than SPG.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When I go to an area with no SPG, there usually aren't any other chain hotels there, either.
I generally tend to do double-dip to earn miles and points on my stays as I value Avios/AAdvantage miles much more than Hilton points. I have 4 trips coming up (Detroit, Peru, Argentina & St. Louis) and will definitely be taking a look at the offerings at all 4 locations. I will also book at least one stay with a SPG property during those trips to see how it shakes out.

From everything I've read so far on SPG Gold status reports, it's much like HHonors Gold - Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed, haha. Really do appreciate all the insights all!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Would you say your lack of feeling especially special or valued as a SPG Plat is limited to just certain properties, countries or continents, or is it across the board? That is my big issue with HH right now - they've done nothing to really make me feel like a valued customer. When that is combined with an atrocious redemption value (for example, 50k points for a $189/night hotel), I just have a hard time continuing to spend money at their properties.
Across the board for me with a few honourable exceptions.

That combined with severely limited footprint is why IHG gets 3 times as many night from me as SPG.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I generally tend to do double-dip to earn miles and points on my stays as I value Avios/AAdvantage miles much more than Hilton points. I have 4 trips coming up (Detroit, Peru, Argentina & St. Louis) and will definitely be taking a look at the offerings at all 4 locations. I will also book at least one stay with a SPG property during those trips to see how it shakes out.

From everything I've read so far on SPG Gold status reports, it's much like HHonors Gold - Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed, haha. Really do appreciate all the insights all!
Quite the variety in upcoming stays

I actually think HHonors Gold gets me more benefits than SPG Gold. The option for free breakfast is nice, really utilized it in Seychelles (like 40 euros PP on the house).

I like SPG hotels more than Hilton, but also agree that Hilton tends to be in more places.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I know from previous posts that you've apparently not had much in the way of recognition in SPG at the moment, but for me it's definitely the opposite. You're agreeing with me on the earn to burn ratio, so not I'm not sure what you're not following.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.