Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Lisboa Lisbon, Portugal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Lisboa Lisbon, Portugal [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2000, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Lisboa Lisbon, Portugal [Master Thread]

Any experiences with this property? Brigitte and I will be staying there for few days next week and would like to know what to expect.
Old Apr 4, 2000, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Deja vu all over again. Didn't we already cover this or was that for someone else?

Anyhow, it's in a business area and a bit far to walk to the touristy locations. I got upgraded to the Club floor which was OK. I would expect the normal rooms to be quite normal and plain.
Old May 11, 2001, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
?? re: Sheratons in Lisbon area

I am currently scheduled to attend a two day meeting at the Le Meridien Hotel in Lisbon Portugal.

For the two nights of the conference, the company has booked a group rate. However, when I checked on staying a couple of extra nights both before and after the conference at the Le Meriden, the price at the Le Meriden was well beyond what I would expect to pay (upwards around $350/night!!!).

Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Towers? I have found a rate on the internet of around $105/night for a cheapo room (hopefully by then I will be Platinum and get an upgrade ) at the Sheraton Lisboa. What about either of the other two Starwood properties (in Algarve) in Portugal? These are quite a bit more expensive. Are they worth the price? Are the Algarve properties close to Lisbon as I will be flying in and out of Lisbon. What prices did you pay for your stays?

Any tip and/or suggestions that I should know about? Things to do around the area? Places to avoid? Must see and/or do activities? What's the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? How much should a cab to and from the airport cost?

Thanks for any and all help.

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 05-11-2001).]
Old May 12, 2001, 4:12 pm

I have stayed in the Lisbon Sheraton.

It's fine if unexciting. Not the most central of properties but not too far from the centre of town.

An inexpensive taxi ride from the airport (and I almost never take taxis from airports except from Edinburgh).

I'd give it a go.

Stephen
Old May 12, 2001, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You should be able to find lots of previous posts about the Lisbon Sheraton here. It's OK, but a long way from the Le Meridien. I've stayed at both hotels, and unless I needed to be near the Sheraton, I'd stay at the Le Meridien since you can walk to many central attractions.

But if it's your money and $200 difference, then I guess I'd try the Sheraton and take cabs to centro. You can walk to the Castello where you can spend an afternoon. Try Cais De Ribiera for excellent seafood. Carefull if you walk there since you have to go past a slightly crummy area. Barra Alta has plenty of good restaurants some of which are very authentic. Good clubs too.

Taxi's are pretty cheap as I recall.

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 05-12-2001).]
Old May 13, 2001, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
Originally posted by onedog:
[b]
Any tip and/or suggestions that I should know about? Things to do around the area? Places to avoid? Must see and/or do activities? What's the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? How much should a cab to and from the airport cost?

Thanks for any and all help.

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 05-11-2001).]
i am current visting sheraton lisboa regularly. a decent hotel, but upgrade is by luck (for Plt). however, you got the full breakfast at the lounge for sure. and the lounge has the best view of lisboa, since it is the highest building in town. if you are lucky, your room as well.

however, the hotel itself is low 5*/ hi 4* level if you are not in the tower/club. as it was said, nothing exciting. but worth your 105$. (your rate is even loweer than my corporate rate, where did you get it?

the location is great. it is at the other side of the park at marquis de pompal (i disagree with stimpy about the location) there are a lot of shops around at suldanha areas, and it is closer to the Metro than Meridien (i stayed at regent/4season as well before, which is right next to le meridian).

taxi from meridian to sheraton is less than US$2! (taxi is cheap at lisbon, but not all drivers are honest -- there is 300ESC for trunk fee and about 20% higher during the night.
if you go from airport to downtown, taxi should not exceed 1500ESC, i was charge 3000 the first time )
--- this also answers your question of best way to airport, taxi, but watch the meter carefully and ask fo receipt and driver's license # if in doubt.

the other 2 sheratons are in the suburb (i believe one is close to the sintra area, and the other to the south of tagus river) where there are nice beaches and upscale resorts, but if you want to see lisboa, you should proabably stay at the city.

let me know when you will be there, we could have breakfast if schedule fits;_)

about lisboa, a great city. good seafood.

metro pass cost 280 ESC/day (US$1.3)
lisboa pass with all MEtro/Bus/many museum cost <10USD per day for up to 3 days.
get a map form the hotel, the conceige will show you the tourist spots. 2-3 days is about enough time to see the city

another must see, the view of lisboa before you land and after take off. the plan always tour you around the city before landing ;-)
you will first see the airport at the north, then go across the city to the south of the river tagus, then U-turn back to pass the downtown, and sheraon lisboa, to land in the airport 10 miles north of downtown.

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 05-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 05-13-2001).]
Old Sep 2, 2002, 11:24 am

Sheraton Lisboa and Sheraton Skyline Heathrow

Thanks FT, IF, Starwood, Qantas and BA. Taking my Parents on a Special trip to Europe in early October...BA First Class for the flight. Any insight on the Sheraton Lisboa in Lisbon (04) nights and the Sheraton Skyline at Heathrow (01) night. Trust the Sheraton Lisboa is nice. Are these Sheratons good for PLAT room/suite upgrades, (almost all in US have been great)?

Will be taking a one day tour with either Portugal Tours or Viator...Any insight on these or other sights to see? Mom is disabled and can walk only a block or two. Will be bringing a transport chair for any long distance walks.

Look forward to your insights.

Tks

JDR
Old Sep 2, 2002, 3:10 pm

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Sheraton Lisboa is a nice hotel, if not exactly centrally located; downtown can be reached by at fast subway connection (10-15 minutes). The hotel has been recently renovated; try to go for the upper floors ( I have always been upgraded), with west view. Good breakfast at the lounge.Actually the downstairs restaurant has a good lunch buffet at very reasonable prices. I would rate it a better than average business hotel. The bar on the top floor has a fantastic view of Lisbon (west). Service can be a little erratic, though, but the view makes up for that.
Have a nice trip!
Old Sep 2, 2002, 8:42 pm

there is usually no one at the lounge (except breakfast time),

the breakfast at the lounge is good. the cocktail hour supply also fine.

ring the operator if the champaign/Port is running out.

didnt get upgrade at my first stay, but later always got the tower floors (nice view of the 4-15 bridge at top floors). but no suite

location is fine, right next to the subway station. 15 minute from airport by taxi, 5 min taxi to downtown (10 min by subway).
[but note lisboa taxi drivers often cheat, though the taxi fare is cheap, e.g. ~1500 ESC hotel-airport]

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 09-02-2002).]
Old Sep 3, 2002, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
As a P I stayed at the Lisboa property
earlier this year. I was very surprised and
pleased with the service. I did not need to
ask for anything. Upgraded to suite on high
floor. View was ok. Recognized as P and
amenities given. Location is very so so as
nothing is happening around the Hotel. Did
the day tour thing and walked around. Nice
city. Enjoy
Old Sep 3, 2002, 5:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Got upgraded and also got a bottle of wine last week.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 8:36 pm

yes....i collected a "half-bottle" Port every day...and ended up with over 2 dozens
Old Sep 4, 2002, 4:19 am

Yes, the view over downtown Lisboa is much better than east which will give you a view over some dull suburbs and evntually the airport. Due to a horrible building to the left of the hotel when looking west you are better off if your room is higher than the 10th. floor and as much to the right (north) as possible.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 4:25 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
dunno about you - we drank all the port!

I found the Lisboa property very nice when we there for a week last year on an award stay - upgraded to a top floor club room that had just been redecorated in a sorta weird "Portugese modern" theme. Somebody'd sold em some Pergo-type flooring (looks like wood but isn't) and put a scatter rug next to the beds. Easier to mop, maybe? But cold and squeaky underfoot and the rug was a "slip and fall" type of thing that the lawyers would have vetoed in the states. The bathroom was pretty elaborate as I recall - the usual Euro acre of beige marble, etc.

But the lounge for breakfast and the neccesary pre-dinner snack (nobody eats 'til 10 so Americans need something to keep 'em going) was great - lots of champers and smoked salmon, as I recall. Great service in the room and we thought the location was fine: subway right outside, 10 minutes walk to the top of the Libertador (not exactly the Champs Elysee but the local analog) and maybe 10 more minutes to downtown walking.

The west side park views were fine but so is the east as it faces downtown and the harbor - nothing to insist on. Great health club and steamroom; small outdoor pool good as well.

We really enjoyed both the hotel and Lisbon - terrific little city that isn't appreciated as much as it might be but that's to your benefit as it isn't as overrun as some more popular European capitals.

We particularly enjoyed the Alcantara Cafe: a bit of NYC Soho near the docks in what is Lisbon's clubland district. Great food, cheap prices (dinner for two w/drinks and wine for about $75) and stunning decor. Be sure to check out the mensroom - amazing. Best to be sober the first time you do.

Old Sep 10, 2002, 1:25 pm

No cars are necessary (parking is difficult). Good subway connections and plenty of good and reasonably priced taxies. Trafic is latin.
Spanish will be understood by most Portuguese eventhough you will probably receive an answer in Portuguese! Younger people will generally understand at least some rudimentary English, others are quite fluent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.