Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens (a Starwood property)

Syntagma Square · Athens 10564 ∙ Greece · Phone: +30 210 3330000 · Fax: +30 210 3228034
http://www.grandebretagne.gr/en/ (English web pages)
e-mail: info.gb starwoodhotels.com

Reservations: United States 1-800-325-3589
GB France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom: +800-325-45454
CN China 8008 688 688; IN India 000 800 650 1405; RU Russian Federation +353-21-4930492; SA Saudi Arabia 800 844 1348

Dining options: link

In-room amenities and gifts available: link

Synopsis: Historical hotel at Syntagma (Constitution) Square, across street from Parliament, views from rooftop garden of Parthenon, Acropolis, Lycabettus and much more. Some great view rooms, some patio rooms.

Getting there from ATH / Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos" (Διεθνής Αερολιμένας Αθηνών "Ελευθέριος Βενιζέλος"):

Express bus X95 to Syntagma (Constitution) Square, c 20 min 24 hrs, duration ~70 minutes. EUR 6.00 per person.

Metro number 3 from airport (signed Aghia Marina) to Syntagma Square (but watch for thieves and pickpockets). You can also connect from this metro to Line 1 at Monastiraki to Piraeus and its cruise and ferry ship terminal. EUR 8.00 per person, 36 minutes.

Taxi: From Door 3 of the Arrivals Level: 5 AM - midnight €35 and
Night Service midnight - 5 AM: €50. Athens Taxi Tours costs EUR 38 - link About 45 minutes. Note: The charge is determined by the time of arrival at the destination and includes all applicable surcharges and extras. No extra baggage, toll, etc. charges, and if they tell you there are, it's a lie to get more money.

Arranged transport: I use Greek Taxi / PK Travel for EUR 50 for a carload; they wait for me at the terminal with a name sign, can stop at an ATM and the like, and use modern, comfortable Mercedes vehicles. Hotel can also arrange vehicle, limousine or VIP transfers.

We used George’s Taxi for 5 different airport transfers and 2 tours and they were fantastic- they also charge EUR 50, have Mercedes cabs, meet and greet and assist with luggage, and have friendly, English speaking drivers. https://www.taxigreece.com/
Print Wikipost

Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:45 pm

I stayed there twice in June/July 2007. Great hotel. My opinion may be biased in that I was upgraded during both stays because of my Gold Status. The 1st time to a butler rooftop/balcony room, and the 2nd time to a suite. The top notch spa is totally free (except for things like seaweed wraps). The rooms were great. The only complaint I could make was the marble floors around the toilets were staining a tad yellow (happens with time), and the showers were so air/water tight in my rooms that the steam could not escape and some mold was visible on the ceiling of the showers. Otherwise, the rooms I were in had padded silk lined walls, LCD TVs, TV in the bathroom above the tub in the suite, and great beds. Was totally worth 12000 points/night.
-W
Old Aug 5, 2007, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
As a Platinum woman travelling solo (but on a paid corp rate) for one night, should I be getting a 'complex' on my lack of those 'great' upgrades golds and others seem to get (butler floors, great amenities, wonderful treatment etc) ?? Granted, I was there on a Sat night-- but from the look of the website prior to my arrival, there was lots and lots of availability, but all I got was a choice of view or suite, and as I mentioned when I spoke to others who were non elite-- they were given the same choice ??
PS: Here are some pics of my room, the hotel and the views:
http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=690...=SYE/otsi=SALB
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:10 pm

Hmmm, from your pics it doesn't seem like you got much of an Acropolis view. Unless you didn't take pictures of that from your room. I think the Acropolis pics that you took were taken from the rooftop restaurant, right? But if they gave you a choice of Acropolis view or Suite, I'd say that that satisfies the Plat recognition. I don't know how the Gold guy got a Suite on the Butler floor, I guess he lucked out. ^ Maybe the hotel was very sold out and they needed to upgrade people so they upgraded based on status or something? Who knows. I did notice that you checked in downstairs. I did the same, but then they said "Oh I see you are SPG Plat, please check-in upstairs (on the Butler Floor) at the Exec. check-in where they will have welcome drinks and snacks for you". I went up and checked in up there and they had a choice of champers, wine (or was it juice?), or Evian as well as some cookies up there during check-in. ^ Of course I chose the champers. I don't know why they didn't send you up there for check-in, maybe it was cuz you arrived early???................(I arrived around 5PM on a Fri night).
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:31 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
There was a bit of a view far to the right from my terrace, and until I read the comment about the Butler floor in the previous post, I had no idea there was such a floor. As for other areas for check in, I went to the Starwood desk and presented my Plat card along with my cc & passport. There was nothing mentioned about any other area, and in fact at 1pm when I was told I'd have to wait an hour, I was merely told of the various restaurants to wait in and directed to the downstairs Ladies room to 'wash up'. Which additionally goes to show why I don't consider this a Luxury property. Looking at the website, there were lots of rooms & suites available at a variety of rates-- I did tell the desk, I would prefer a view of the Acropolis and that's what I got. Whether that was considered an upgrade or merely being accomodating I'm not sure.
Yes, most of my pics of the city/Acropolis came from the dining room/bar on the 8th floor.
PS-- also looking at the pics of the front of the hotel, shows at no time anyone out there!! I was not the only one noticing this, I saw others struggling with luggage up the steps and into the revolving doors with no assistance being offered from any hotel staffer (as there never appeared to be any in sight), nor was anyone asked if they needed a taxi etc upon exiting the hotel.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:30 am

I visited the hotel in June. My circumstances when I arrived were a bit unique. My cab driver tried to rip me off, so I actively sought out the doorman. He was very helpful explaining to the driver that it doesn't cost 86 Euros to get to the hotel from the airport. He also took my bags. As a gold booking on discounted points, I was upgraded to the butler floor/balcony and had a Parliament view (which afforded me a great afternoon view of the daily protests by the anarchists). I wasn't given a suite/Acropolis option but wasn't expecting one. I was satisfied with the check-in process.

The hotel in general and the room were very nice. I didn't feel like it was run down at all. It was clean and nicely decorated. The location was great. The butler service was very helpful. I'm sure the regular concierge would've been fine, too, but I had no reason to check. I had dinner and breakfast once each at the rooftop restaurant and enjoyed both. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Athens. (I'd probably recommend they visit Santorini instead but if they're visiting Athens, they should stay at the GB).
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:12 pm

It was unclear from the previous posts that I searched as well as from the hotel website:

If I hold a reservation for a Junior Suite and am SPG Gold, can I use the upstairs / executive check-in area? We are looking forward to our visit and I want to make sure that we take advantage of any little "perks" that we can.

Thank you,
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by wsbombers
He was very helpful explaining to the driver that it doesn't cost 86 Euros to get to the hotel from the airport.
What's the "real" price?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:10 pm

30 with bags
Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I was there in June for a 4-night paid stay (but arriving at about 4am). While I was given great service before arrival (car booking, restaurant booking at the Roof Garden), a lot of requests were never fully fulfilled.

I was not given any upgrades (perhaps due to my arrival time, I'm a gold, btw). I doubt the hotel was THAT full while there were a lot of tourists, I think I saw 1 other guest the whole time while walking to and from my room on my floor, and it was a long walk too. My room was near the service elevator.

I asked for a room with a view to the Acropolis or at least outside, all I got was a view to the inside courtyard. When I booked the Roof Garden, I asked for a table close to the Acropolis side, I didn't get that either.

Every single staff was excellent though, maybe except the check-in guy, but it was 4am...
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
BTW, I got a nice upgrade to a Jr. Suite (with a Parliament Building view) as an SPG Plat when I was here about a month ago. Classy room, classy hotel, very newish furnishings, nice fruit/water/chocolate amenities............we loved it there! ^

Just returned from a one night stay there as Plat after arriving from a Silversea cruise. It seems that quite a few passengers from our ship decided to stay at the GB as we recognized many faces in the lobby.

While many Silversea passengers lined up in the lobby for check in, we were invited to check in on the 7F reception area.

We were upgraded to the 8F (Butler floor) with a spectacular terrace view of the Arcropolis, Syntagma Sq and the Parliament building. In exchange for the view, our room was smallish--but well appointed.

We did not receive the fruit or chocs, and only discovered the water just moments before checking out.

Location is excellent, with the Metro steps away!

During our visit I did venture over to the Hilton to renew pleasant, past memories--and that hotel is as nice as ever (at least the public portions) with a nicely appointed almost rooftop Executive Lounge--something the GB does not have (and I wish they did).

But the Hitlon is located 1 Metro stop away and is not in as prime a location as the GB.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
BTW, when I was at the GB, I went over to the King George next door for a comparison. The staff there was very friendly, even when I said I was staying next door and I just wanted to do a comparison. The girl that showed me the room was very cute too, but I digress...

They showed me their standard room, which was slightly more expensive but in the same bracket as the GB.

The overall interior seemed older. While the floor area for the room was probably the same, it seemed smaller than the GB. The King George had a lot of decorations, vases, etc, to take up space, overall, it felt smaller. The bathroom was small (like a standard 3*), with no seprate showers, but they did have a tiny 'lounge area' with a sofa and table, which (my room in) the GB didn't have. The rooftop restaurant was also smaller, but there was a bit of a ballroom attached to it which they didn't use as the restaurant. The ground floor bar was quite nice though, less formal and less rigid as the GB.

Overall, I'd properly still take the GB but maybe drink at the King George.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:11 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
What's the faster option to the hotel: taxi or metro? Our flight will arrive in ATH at 5:05 PM on a Sunday in September.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:46 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Taxi is likely faster on a Sunday (no traffic) but it will certainly be MUCH costlier...if convenience and money is not an issue, go for it.

As a Hilton guy I was definitely not impressed with this hotel at all...I got an "upgrade" to a tiny room with no view after they had upgraded me to room with a view and I insisted on a bigger room with no view. Just some service issues and the slowest checkout I have ever had (computer problems). IMHO, I found this hotel way over rated with the two best things about it being its location and the free wifi in Syntagma Square. I also found the outdoor pool extremely small and just so crowded we left almost right away. Next time we are going back to the Athens Hilton a subway stop away.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just had a great 2-night (reward) stay here about 2 weeks ago. As a SPG Gold it seems we were upgraded to a "deluxe" room, with a view of Parliament. My only complaint was that check-in was slow and crowded, but I think we just hit an unlucky rush as I never saw it that busy again. Well, the other complaint was that we had to get the room keys re-coded since the 2 nights were under separate reservations so the keys were blocked at noon on the second day, and then we had to get them re-coded again at noon on the last day since we were using the 4pm late check-out.

Pool area was packed on Sunday but pretty empty when I actually used it on Tuesday. Food was pretty expensive, but that's to be expected at any luxury hotel.

Rooftop restaurant was very good, not great, and you're definitely paying for the view/ambiance, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that. Liquor was very expensive, while wine was much more reasonably-priced.

As far as transport, we took the subway both ways, because we timed it well. They only leave every 30 minutes -- at the top and bottom of the hour both from the airport and from Syntagma. The subway trip is about 35-40 minutes. The price is EUR 6, or EUR 10 for 2 people. I'm not sure how much a taxi is, I guess that depends on whether or not you get ripped off...
Subway was pretty convenient although there were a fair amount of stairs to climb at the exit that leads directly to the hotel.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:41 am

Am I right in saying that if I'm carrying luggage, subway is NOT recommended because of the stairs?

How much is taxi? Are we talking about something like 40~50 Euros from ATH to the Grande Bretagne?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.