Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 19, 08, 1:11 pm   #1

Arrow Sheraton Skyline, LHR London Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom 2008 on [Master Thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucer View Post
The Hotel Hoppa at 4 GBP each way is rather expensive, though I don't know whether this has anything to do with the hotel.
The Hotel Hoppa has nothing to do with the hotel, or any of the hotels in fact. It is a complete rip off operated in tandem between BAA and the bus company. When staying at the Bath Road hotels they can be reached far quicker and for free by using public buses from the central bus station. All bus routes within a one mile radius of Heathrow are free of charge.
worldtrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 08, 6:36 am   #2
MKB

I'm not sure about "one mile", but it's all the bus routes shown in the shaded green area here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...s123-13970.pdf or here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...nal5-14065.pdf

There is at least one local bus service -- and I'm not referring to the long-distance coach services operated usually by National Express -- that operates from T4 that is not included in the Freeflow Heathrow scheme, as I found to my cost last year. I checked out what the driver said with TFL, and it turns out not every London bus company has signed up to the Freeflow scheme.

Last edited by MKB; Dec 22, 08 at 6:44 am..
MKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 09, 1:54 pm   #3

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, SPG Plat
Stayed a Fri-Sat night at the Skyline - great value for money (helped by the plummeting GBP exchange rate) with EUR67 including tax etc.

As expected, we were upgraded to a runway view club room. Therefore, the EUR67 included more than adequate snacks and self-serve wine during the happy hour, and breakfast for two, in the lounge.

It seems that buses 285 and 555 are the best ones between Heathrow Central and Hatton Cross. However, when flying to T5, the GBP4 rip-off fare of the Hoppa seemed nevertheless acceptable to avoid the hassle of getting to Heathrow Central first.
timol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 09, 8:44 am   #4
MKB

You can get bus 423 from opposite the Skyline to get to T5. It runs every 20 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes at other times. I did that myself just last Friday and it was quicker than the hoppa.
MKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 09, 9:36 am   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timol View Post
Therefore, the EUR67 included more than adequate snacks and self-serve wine during the happy hour, and breakfast for two, in the lounge.

t.
The self serve wine is actually free all day, the happy hour is for the beer in the fridge. Having said that, the white stuff they serve is horrendous, the red is more palatable.
Old Feb 15, 09, 3:27 pm   #6

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Thanks for the great info. Is the lounge open on weekends or not? That might tip my hand toward them for a nine day stay coming up starting next week.

Cheers!
DawgmanOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 09, 4:03 pm   #7

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Amb, BMI *G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH View Post
Thanks for the great info. Is the lounge open on weekends or not? That might tip my hand toward them for a nine day stay coming up starting next week.
The lounge is open at weekends and still serves breakfast and does a happy hour from 6-8pm as well.

Having stayed at both the Skyline and the Sheraton Heathrow in the past week, I can definitely recommend the Skyline out of the two as being worth the extra cost.
RAPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 09, 7:19 am   #8

I spend a night yesterday in the Heathrow Sheraton. The lounge was nice, but the evening food was *weired* for my taste. Has the Sky better food ?
BalluBallu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 09, 7:47 am   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalluBallu View Post
I spend a night yesterday in the Heathrow Sheraton. The lounge was nice, but the evening food was *weired* for my taste. Has the Sky better food ?
Do you mean the Sheraton Skyline? The Sheraton Heathrow is a different hotel.

Once again, my last 2 stays there required me to do follow up to get my platinum amenity points, even after specifically mentioning it at check in both times. I wish they could fix this problem.
Old Feb 19, 09, 10:39 am   #10

Yes, I try to find out if the lounge in the Skyline is as bad (regarding the food, the place is fine) as the Heathrow lounge
BalluBallu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 09, 10:53 am   #11
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody
In my personal experience, the lounge at the Sheraton Skyline is better than the one at the Sheraton Heathrow, especially for atmosphere and coffee - jug of brown water at the Sheraton Heathrow, coffee machine at the Skyline.
JOUY31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 09, 11:38 am   #12

I would say the food is better in the evenings at the Skyline. I prefer the breakfast at the Sheraton Heathrow as they have a few more cooked options, but besides that the Skyline is better across the board.
Old Feb 19, 09, 12:04 pm   #13
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody
During my last week-end stay at the Sheraton Heathrow, breakfast was not available in the lounge, but offered at the restaurant.
JOUY31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 09, 12:13 pm   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOUY31 View Post
During my last week-end stay at the Sheraton Heathrow, breakfast was not available in the lounge, but offered at the restaurant.
Indeed - that is standard at weekends there as the lounge is only open Monday to Friday. A nice option as it is a good breakfast in the restaurant
Old Feb 24, 09, 1:25 am   #15

Programs: Severals Golds (BA, BD, AB and LH), Highest tier with HH, SPG and ICRA, lawyer, sometimes a nice guy
T2 -> Sheraton Heathrow

I remember T2 -> Sheraton Heathrow could easily be done by public bus. However, I do not find the information. www.tfl.gov.uk gives me bus every 30 minutes stopping at Colnbrook Bypass, however, I remember there was a bus every few minutes. I even remember there was a wonderful little map on baa.co.uk showing the routes around LHR, however, there is now only a not so detailed map. Can somebody enlighten me, please: What's the way from T1/T2/T3 bus station to the Sheraon Heathrow???

Do not feel offended by my posts - remember, I am a simple minded litigation lawyer.
Flying Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote