Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris Marriott Charles de Gaulle Airport Hotel, CDG, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Just FYI the Marriott at CDG does not have a lounge but in the past used to provide members with drinks and food at the bar. This ceased as of the August 18th merge as Marriott's without elite lounges were no longer required to accommodate elite members. I have frequently stayed at this property but this will be my last stay. In fact I am on the phone with Marriott customer care as we speak to move my 9 day reservation to the Sheraton which is physically located at the airport and has better access to the metro and an elite lounge! For a hotel that requires a shuttle bus from the airport and no lounge I wonder just how many elite members will skip this property in the future, I know I will. FYI the Munich Marriott and Munich Airport Marriotts do not have lounges either and used to do make similar accommodation (drinks and eats at the bar), I presume that these hotels have also discontinued this service. Next time I am considering these properties I will be calling the property to inquire before making a reservation.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I hope you will communicate the same info to the hotel GM. That's who can make a difference. Please let him know why you are cancelling your 9 day reservation!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would add that an airport hotel located away from the airport and convenient transportation to the city surely isn't getting many guests who are willing to stay for 9 nights unless the price is very low. IMO such a property should be eager to offer special perks.
fdem likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Just an update, they no longer provide water at turndown either. Without a longe ithe bottle of water is critical. I am a lifetime platinum premier member staying at hotel I frequented in the past on a 9 night stay... if they treat me this way what is the experience like with no or lower status. This hotel has a wonderful breakfast, it is quit and the evening appies and drinks along with the marriottt connection made it my go to hotel for meetings in Paris. No more! I did talk to the manager and they acknowledged that many platinum members were complaining but the hotel was busy and sold out almost every night. Message is we can save money now that we don’t have to provide elite benefits if don’t have a lounge and if you don,t stay someone else will that will be more profitable for us. What a way to destroy brand loyalty!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Its not the first time we've gone to reception and asked for water (or more water) in hotels that don't have a lounge. Only once have we been knocked back and that was the Swansea Marriott.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I remember going to this property and being treated amazingly. My traveling partner's exact words were "these guys treat you like you're best friends!" -- it's a shame they've gone downhill
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ddaley
Just FYI the Marriott at CDG does not have a lounge but in the past used to provide members with drinks and food at the bar. This ceased as of the August 18th merge as Marriott's without elite lounges were no longer required to accommodate elite members.
It's interesting that some hotels have used the August 18 program changes to justify service reductions.

If a hotel branded as a Marriott Hotel does not have a lounge (or the lounge is closed), the hotel is still required to provide breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1.

Even before August 18, a Marriott Hotel without a lounge was not required to provide hors d'oeuvres or any kinds of drinks in the evening, However, some did so anyway. Smart GMs considered it to be good business to attract guests with Platinum status, and to keep them coming back.

If a Marriott Hotel front desk claims, "we wish we could provide better benefits to you, dear Platinum Elite member, but Marriott's corporate office won't let us," then management has directed the front desk to lie to guests.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:19 am

Just FYI the Marriott at CDG does not have a lounge but in the past used to provide members with drinks and food at the bar. This ceased as of the August 18th merge as Marriott's without elite lounges were no longer required to accommodate elite members. I have frequently stayed at this property but this will be my last stay. In fact I am on the phone with Marriott customer care as we speak to move my 9 day reservation to the Sheraton which is physically located at the airport and has better access to the metro and an elite lounge! For a hotel that requires a shuttle bus from the airport and no lounge I wonder just how many elite members will skip this property in the future, I know I will. FYI the Munich Marriott and Munich Airport Marriotts do not have lounges either and used to do make similar accommodation (drinks and eats at the bar), I presume that these hotels have also discontinued this service. Next time I am considering these properties I will be calling the property to inquire before making a reservation.

Really sorry to hear this as booked before the 8/18 for a night this weekend in between two Hilton nights. I didn't know they had also cut back on giving out the free drink vouchers as well. At this rate we could end up taking our own sheets and pillow cases. Is the shuttle to/from the airport still free do you know?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:59 am

Bristol Royal Marriot in the UK have done the same. Pre-merger you'd get drink vouchers as they "don't have a lounge". Post-merger they say tough luck as scheme rules have changed. Sneaky downgrade.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe someone should start a sticky or wiki to list all of these stealth downgrades to elite status benefits at properties that formerly went somewhat above and beyond but have discontinued the practice.
EuropeanPete and jtwiz like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Horace
It's interesting that some hotels have used the August 18 program changes to justify service reductions.

If a hotel branded as a Marriott Hotel does not have a lounge (or the lounge is closed), the hotel is still required to provide breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1.

Even before August 18, a Marriott Hotel without a lounge was not required to provide hors d'oeuvres or any kinds of drinks in the evening, However, some did so anyway. Smart GMs considered it to be good business to attract guests with Platinum status, and to keep them coming back.

If a Marriott Hotel front desk claims, "we wish we could provide better benefits to you, dear Platinum Elite member, but Marriott's corporate office won't let us," then management has directed the front desk to lie to guests.
This.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Horace
Or, an ignorant fdc doesn't know why and rather make an effort to find out, just fills in the blank with whatever occurs to him/her.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Message is we can save money now that we don’t have to provide elite benefits if don’t have a lounge and if you don,t stay someone else will that will be more profitable for us. What a way to destroy brand loyalty!
How many companies have done this in the past in the good times and had some nasty surprises in the not so good times...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark
Or, an ignorant fdc doesn't know why and rather make an effort to find out, just fills in the blank with whatever occurs to him/her.
Such a situation, again, points back to a GM under whose watch there is inadequate training and monitoring of front desk employees.

A front desk employee doesn't have to memorize all the clauses of the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions for 29 Marriott brands in regions around the world. But a front desk employee should understand the benefits for all Elite levels at the hotel where he or she works, how that hotel provides those benefits, and should be able to explain it honestly and accurately to guests.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
thanks for the warning. We should keep track of those hotels and avoid them. This week that Sheraton DUS where the lounge was closed there were snacks and drinks in the restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.