Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Skyline, LHR London Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Skyline, LHR London Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
I don't actually need a shuttle as I will be driving there.

I just want to know if this is a nice place to take my wife and daughter for a little break this weekend and if the pool is nice
I really like this property. Arguably it is perhaps the best and most consistent SPG property in London, albeit there isn't terribly stiff competition.

I have had some iffy experiences but on the whole it is a good property. In all my stays there I have only ever had one of the 2 available junior suites (both internal facing) when paying for them.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD

Saw this hotel on the website and the pool area looks very nice.

Is it as nice as it looks on the pictures?
Personally I love pools - but wouldn't consider using the one here. A lot of the rooms overlook the pool and they also put a lot of chairs and table for restaurant guests out next to the pool.

This property is nice as they have a starbucks inside but the restaurnat prices are a little steep.

As for the sheraton heathrow (the other spg property) it has just had a complete renovation of the reception and restaurant area and I find its location much better... premier inn across the road offers good cheap food - you also have a maccas and convenience store (aka texaco) across the road. Plus it is also usually a lot cheaper than the skyline.

Rooms at either are average for the standard rooms.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

I don't actually need a shuttle as I will be driving there.

I just want to know if this is a nice place to take my wife and daughter for a little break this weekend and if the pool is nice
Umm, did you see the quote in my response, I was responding to someone else's post not yours.

But back to your post.... I would say the Marriott right next door is a better hotel, nice pool and gym, the rooms are much newer and the in house restaurant is better than the Al Dente in the Sheraton. If you're just trying to get SPG stay credit then the Skyline is perfectly acceptable. I stay there 12 to 15 times a year for the past 4 years (as a Platinum) and have never, ever been upgraded to the fabled junior suite. The lounge is decent with all day wine and a reasonable breakfast with bacon and eggs plus all the usual other things and a happy hour when they bust open the beer fridge. The location is far better than the Sheraton Heathrow. I have never experienced indifference from the staff, in fact when I arrive early in the morning they always give me a room to use if there isn't a 3rd floor club room available until the club floor room is ready.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Umm, did you see the quote in my response, I was responding to someone else's post not yours.
Oops I see that now!

Actually you are mistaken because Hilton do actually offer a free bus service every 30 minutes.

But back to your post.... I would say the Marriott right next door is a better hotel, nice pool and gym, the rooms are much newer and the in house restaurant is better than the Al Dente in the Sheraton. If you're just trying to get SPG stay credit then the Skyline is perfectly acceptable. I stay there 12 to 15 times a year for the past 4 years (as a Platinum) and have never, ever been upgraded to the fabled junior suite. The lounge is decent with all day wine and a reasonable breakfast with bacon and eggs plus all the usual other things and a happy hour when they bust open the beer fridge. The location is far better than the Sheraton Heathrow. I have never experienced indifference from the staff, in fact when I arrive early in the morning they always give me a room to use if there isn't a 3rd floor club room available until the club floor room is ready.

Mariott did look very nice and modern when I drove past it on my way to the airport, however I have no status there and I am quite partial free upgrades to exec floors, lounges etc

I have stayed at the Hilton T4 a couple of times and found it quite acceptable too, especially as I have always been upgraded to exec floor with lounge access etc, the breakfast is also very nice and they have Costa Coffee which I prefer to Starbucks.

The look/layout of the Mariott does look quite similar to the Hilton although from the outside I would say the Mariott looks nicer as the Hilton looks a bit grotty from the dust it has gathered over the years. Someone should really get out there with a jet wash

Food is quite important to me too, as I also like to eat well

When I called the Skyline to check a couple of details I asked about how busy they were and what the chances of an upgrade would be and was told they had plenty of availability and to call back after I had made the reservation so they could change it. Did you ever try this?

Also, probably the wrong forum to ask this but.... any idea what my chances are of a status match with Mariott from SPG or Hilton gold?

Update: LOL, that was far too easy, 1 phone call and I am now a Mariott Platinum, 18 nights until june 30th and I get to keep it for the rest of the year, doubt I will do that but it should make this weekend more interesting anyhow

Maybe I'll try the Skyline next time when I can book a while in advance and get a better rate.

Last edited by PanGalactic; Mar 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

When I called the Skyline to check a couple of details I asked about how busy they were and what the chances of an upgrade would be and was told they had plenty of availability and to call back after I had made the reservation so they could change it. Did you ever try this?
Maybe I should have been clearer re the upgrades. I am 100% for upgrades from the room I booked (lowest available rate) to club floor. I am 0% for 4 years at 10-15 stays per year for the junior suite upgrade.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I should have been clearer re the upgrades. I am 100% for upgrades from the room I booked (lowest available rate) to club floor. I am 0% for 4 years at 10-15 stays per year for the junior suite upgrade.
They do only have 2 junior suites from circa 300 rooms. There are actually more suites over at the Sheraton Heathrow. I thought they considered the Junior Suites as speciality rooms at the Skyline, has anyone used a suite night award there?

Whilst they are a lot larger than the runway facing top floor club rooms, they aren't that much better, except if you want to have a party in your room.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops I see that now!

Mariott did look very nice and modern when I drove past it on my way to the airport, however I have no status there and I am quite partial free upgrades to exec floors, lounges etc

I have stayed at the Hilton T4 a couple of times and found it quite acceptable too, especially as I have always been upgraded to exec floor with lounge access etc, the breakfast is also very nice and they have Costa Coffee which I prefer to Starbucks.

The look/layout of the Mariott does look quite similar to the Hilton although from the outside I would say the Mariott looks nicer as the Hilton looks a bit grotty from the dust it has gathered over the years. Someone should really get out there with a jet wash

Food is quite important to me too, as I also like to eat well
The Skyline is a MUCH better property than the Hilton T4 the rooms are significantly more spacious (even the regular rooms, particularly the vast majority of outward facing rooms especially those on the 3rd floor). the Hilton lounge and dining options are better. I like Zen a lot there, the Skyline dining options have become a little poor since Al Dente closed. We had a relatively poor experience the one time we ate in the new restaurant area by the pool and would not be keen to repeat it.

The Hilton lounge has a broader range of drinks options during evening cocktails that would be the main plus point.

As for food, there is always the Marriott and Raddison next door, Room Service is pretty good at the Skyline and a short walk away in Harlington there is a decent Indian Restaurant and pub.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Skyline is a MUCH better property than the Hilton T4 the rooms are significantly more spacious (even the regular rooms, particularly the vast majority of outward facing rooms especially those on the 3rd floor). the Hilton lounge and dining options are better. I like Zen a lot there, the Skyline dining options have become a little poor since Al Dente closed. We had a relatively poor experience the one time we ate in the new restaurant area by the pool and would not be keen to repeat it.

The Hilton lounge has a broader range of drinks options during evening cocktails that would be the main plus point.

As for food, there is always the Marriott and Raddison next door, Room Service is pretty good at the Skyline and a short walk away in Harlington there is a decent Indian Restaurant and pub.
I have now booked the Mariott for this Saturday just to try it out, sorry SPG

Dont worry SPG, you will be getting plenty of spend from me in the next few months due to the Restaurants and Bars promotion going on at the moment, I'm planning to take Mrs P to at least a couple of the restaurants in London between now and the end of June and will easily spend more than what a night at an airport hotel would cost. Also I'm trying to organise a BAEC board do at the W in Leicester Square some time soon, just waiting for someone to get back to me with a date. Plus I am trying to get to 20,000 SPG so I can make a transfer to BAEC and get the 5k bonus, only around 9k to go

Last edited by PanGalactic; Mar 28, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
There are actually more suites over at the Sheraton Heathrow.
Sheraton Heathrow does not have any suites at all, only classic and club rooms here.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Sheraton Heathrow does not have any suites at all, only classic and club rooms here.
Yes it does. There are at least 2 two bedroom suites (which were renovated relatively recently) and a presidential suite. They do not appear when checking availability at SPG.com but the property definitely has them. I have stayed in a 2 bedroom suite there.

I think the image gallery at SPG.com has pictures of at least the presidential suite too.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Yes it does. There are at least 2 two bedroom suites (which were renovated relatively recently) and a presidential suite. They do not appear when checking availability at SPG.com but the property definitely has them. I have stayed in a 2 bedroom suite there.

I think the image gallery at SPG.com has pictures of at least the presidential suite too.
Ah, so in addition to "select suites", this property must then have a new room category, "secret suites", which aren't listed on the website, aren't bookable, and have never offered to me as an upgrade in the many times I have stayed here.

Granted there is a presidential suite, I remember seeing it on the room plan.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Ah, so in addition to "select suites", this property must then have a new room category, "secret suites", which aren't listed on the website, aren't bookable, and have never offered to me as an upgrade in the many times I have stayed here.

Correct, they aren't normally bookable except via the hotel directly. They should be considered more as spare rooms for VIPs (on the off chance that one takes the wrong turn and ends up at the Sheraton Heathrow...) or as compensation for major problems. i.e. They are used a fair bit for the latter. As Land-of-Miles says, there are definitely a couple of suites besides the Presidential suite there. There is also a sub-category of Club rooms which are the 10 or so renovated test rooms they kitted out a couple of years ago. You don't tend to see these on Platinum upgrades either, they hold these back for compensation issues and a few long stay regulars.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How is this different from many other properties? These are not select standard suites (neither are the junior suites at the Skyline AFAIK), and this property isn't the only one which has issues in presenting it's suites online. They can be booked by calling the property however.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:11 am
Suspended

But back to your post.... I would say the Marriott right next door is a better hotel, nice pool and gym, the rooms are much newer and the in house restaurant is better than the Al Dente in the Sheraton.
Just got back, if you are saying the food in the Mariott is better than the skyline, the skyline muse be REALLY poor!

I'm sitting here in pain at the moment holding my stomach and visiting the toilet about once every 15 minutes at the moment after some Ribs from the Mariott that clearly didn't agree with me.

Also, I didn't get fantastic treatment as a Plat either.

Stood at the "Elite" check in desk for a good 5 mins while they checked in several people before me, then it was "Can I help you sir?" but in a tone that felt like they thought I was at the wrong desk. Also, had stuff from the minibar I never even touched charged to my bill and told that Internet access was limited to 2 devices and that any more would be charged for.

If you're just trying to get SPG stay credit then the Skyline is perfectly acceptable. I stay there 12 to 15 times a year for the past 4 years (as a Platinum) and have never, ever been upgraded to the fabled junior suite. The lounge is decent with all day wine and a reasonable breakfast with bacon and eggs plus all the usual other things and a happy hour when they bust open the beer fridge. The location is far better than the Sheraton Heathrow. I have never experienced indifference from the staff, in fact when I arrive early in the morning they always give me a room to use if there isn't a 3rd floor club room available until the club floor room is ready.
I had a look at the Skyline while I was there, the pool area did look OK, but not as nice as it does on the pictures, also the restaurant looked a bit dark and claustraphobic.

I think I'll be sticking to the Hilton T4 from now on honestly. It just seems nicer than either of these in many respects. Also you get a full breakfast as gold, not this "continental" BS.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:00 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Has the Hilton at T4 redone the beds? Last I was there (sometime in 2011), the beds were hard as a rock. At least I could get a good night sleep at the Skyline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.