Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

March 2015 : Plat members with 50 nights can choose their reward benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

March 2015 : Plat members with 50 nights can choose their reward benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:16 pm

I don't think I criticized anyone or griped about people's griping...some folks here are being overly sensitive. I didn't mean to offend anyone and reading back, really don't think I said anything that anyone could have taken offense to. This isn't a car forum, lets not get all offended over nothing.

With that said, it is accurate to say that people complain about the way SNAs are handled. That's not offensive to say that. It's a fact. I'm not complaining that I have to read your complaints. I will acknowledge some may have been annoyed at my comment of 100% SNA success. I apologize if that was seen as rubbing it in.

Lets get back on track...

I don't think they're going to move Ambassador Service or 24 hour check in down a level. if it's not going to be bonus points or discounted redemption, what else is something that could improve your stay that would not normally be extended to you as a guest in a standard room? I guess the other part of it is, what could it be that you would want 10 coupons for that are worth $100+, or potentially several hundred dollars, depending on the hotel.

Free laundry?
A bowl of snacks/drink vouchers/bottles of wine in your room (I already get this at some hotels every time I check in)?
Free Dinners?
Spa access/massage?
Free Luxury Airport Transportation?
Inclusion in some of the SPG Experiences (or whatever they're called - the events/concerts, etc you can bid points on)
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
same for me; SNA success 99,5% (1 failed in the US but got a suite without SNA)

Originally Posted by fmcfad01
There's a lot of griping about SNAs. I've literally had 100% success rate. if you are going to exotic places or on international travel, you get to experience some really amazing rooms and views.

That said, I tend to only use them on personal travel, which I may not use all 10 a year.

It would be awesome to have a better cash+points or points for free nights redemption. I'd also love some free nights vouchers. In the 10 years I've belonged to SPG, I've gotten one free night...and I don't even recall how.

If they made it 4x pts for 50 nights and 5x pts for 75 nights, that would be cool, however, I'm not sure how that would further dilute the points we already have.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
1. 10 more SNAs
2. 35% off redemption
3. 2000 bonus starpoints at checkin.
4. 3 guaranteed suite upgrades.
5. Free Swedish massage every 5th checkin.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FozBoy
what used to be offered courtesy on hitting 50 nights as a complement to 10 SNAs (i. e. platinum requalification gift) is now becoming a either/or award...
I suppose that's better than last year, when they didn't even offer a platinum requalification gift at all.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:05 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by jb3t
1. 10 more SNAs
2. 35% off redemption
3. 2000 bonus starpoints at checkin.
4. 3 guaranteed suite upgrades.
5. Free Swedish massage every 5th checkin.
The three guarantee Suite upgrades will be very valuable. That was what Suite Night is suppose to be about.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I feel like the "we've got a big surprise for you, but won't tell you for 2 months" approach could really backfire on Starwood if they don't come up with something legit. Two months of Flyer Talkers proposing free massages, suite guarantees, and bathtubs full of caviar could make that subscription to Fly Fishing Fancy feel really underwhelming....
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
I feel like the "we've got a big surprise for you, but won't tell you for 2 months" approach could really backfire on Starwood if they don't come up with something legit. Two months of Flyer Talkers proposing free massages, suite guarantees, and bathtubs full of caviar could make that subscription to Fly Fishing Fancy feel really underwhelming....
Agreed. Expectations management is pretty important for just about anything and everything these days.

On the other hand, it doesn't matter what changes are made, or how wonderful they might be, some posters around here will gripe and complain.

SNAs have worked out well for me, so I'm happy either way.

Cheers,
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:30 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
If SPG allowed 50+ members to choose instantaneous or unlimited SPG point transfers to airlines, I would be ecstatic. THAT would be a SERIOUSLY good benefit in lieu of SNAs! That also would make working toward SPG 50 a truly worthwhile goal for FAR more people.

For those wondering, I saw an article quoting an SPG exec who indicated there will not be an option of reduced point award redemptions or more earned point bonuses. So everyone hoping for either should not hold your breath.

I honestly don't know what the benefit options might be. We'll have to wait and see. FWIW, I am perfectly fine with the 10 SNAs as it exists now...even though I ordinarily get suite upgrades ANYWAY. I would love guaranteed upgrades at time of booking, but I doubt SPG will give 10 of those. Perhaps SPG might offer 2-3 guaranteed upgrades in lieu of the 10 SNAs...and more for 75 and 100 nights. That would keep me coming, too.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
Here is my shot in the dark about what it might be--Amex platinum is saying they are having a large new award come spring 2015 also. I think it will an award tie into with Amex. Centurion lounge access and Amex Platinum and up will get SPG Platinum.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:01 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
Here is my shot in the dark about what it might be--Amex platinum is saying they are having a large new award come spring 2015 also. I think it will an award tie into with Amex. Centurion lounge access and Amex Platinum and up will get SPG Platinum.
I doubt that...and besides, that has NOTHING to do with a possible 50+ night benefit for SPG Platinums. They're not getting any Amex benefit by virtue of staying 50 nights.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:04 pm

I am surprised Starwood just doesn't offer a simple solution. SNA's either expire at the end of the calendar year and get converted into.... 10k points per SNA. Or the SNA never expires, which will work as an incentive to keep staying with Starwood forever......so that you can one day hopefully get them all approved.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:13 pm

The Hyatt confirmed suite night awards are a better option. I have 10 suite night awards which can barely get approved in the best of circumstances.

Hyatt members have (up to) 28 days of CONFIRMED suite nights. No matter how I slice or dice my stay'n'prays in Starwoodland, I still will at MOST only get use them for 10 days.

Meanwhile all the Hyatt members take a week long trip to the Park Hyatt in Paris with a CONFIRMED SUITE UPGRADE. Maybe they stop over in NYC for a week at the Park Hyatt and get another CONFIRMED SUITE UPGRADE. At this point they must be restless from staying in such luxurious rooms, so maybe they stop at the Beaver Creek Park Hyatt for some ski-in/ski-out vacation with a CONFIRMED SUITE UPGRADE. If they get bored after 7 days at Beaver Creek. Maybe they consider another week at the Park Hyatt in so-cal.

It sure must suck to be a Hyatt member.......

Staying in all of those suites........

Smiling as you look at the bill for over $1000/nt - that you don't have to pay.

Meanwhile Starwood Platinum 100 members will be standing around, begging to be upgraded out of the 270 square foot closet they were upgraded to, because their suite night award wouldn't clear for a real room.

Originally Posted by boolean64
Slightly OT, but remember that the confirmed Hyatt upgrades are only good on revenue stays. As i imagine most plats like to upgrade to a suite when they are on vacation (i certainly do), and therefore more likely using points, the hyatt confirmed suite upgrades are not a better option.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:36 pm

1) Don't even. Cancer has a higher approval rating than resort fees. Waiving a $25 resort fee is a stick in the eye
2) What? Seriously? No, quit giving them bad ideas. All of us already have personal hotspots. Yes, plural, global + US hotspot. I am happy with having three internet options. I don't care about giving someone more bandwidth to watch Hulu, and this is by far the least feasible idea EVER. If SPG can't even force their hotels to recognize their most frequent guests, what makes you think SPG can mandate a hotels internet speed provided to every guest? What do they do for the hotels in remote locations? Does Starwood get into the business of digging ditches and laying fiber? No
3) Personal Ambassador, what a joke. We already have them and they provide no value. I can't really use them for anything. They don't make my life easier. I can't call my ambassador and ask them to wait on hold for 20 minutes (for me), and then 3 way call me when someone on the other line is there to pickup. I can't have my ambassador act as my personal secretary. If I want something done, I can call the hotel directly and ask. Ambassadors have done nothing for me.
4. SPG can't mandate their hotels to do anything. Your24 is wildly ignored by most all properties, and Your24 is just as much of a joke, if not more of a joke, than a stay'n'pray award. Your24/SNA = the biggest joke of the SPG program. Between the Your24/SNA program, you really get a sense of "Starwood has absolutely ZERO control over these hotels". Meanwhile Hyatt seems to maintain COMPLETE control over their hotels. FORCING them to give us upgrades. It isn't up for debate. It isn't to availability. It isn't up to a hotel employees mood. It is a fact of life if you stay at Hyatt.
5. You are seriously just insulting me and other Starwood members. I am honestly just angered by this item here. I have nothing positive to say to you about this...
6. Read what I said in item #5, and this item here has angered me even greater. Honestly, why don't you ask for something less important like a paper notepad with a Starwood advertisement?

Hyatt offers up to 28 CONFIRMED SUITE NIGHTS, where the difference could be as much as $700/nt for a suite. I would value the Hyatt diamond status, on the top end of the range; at almost $19,500. And probably as little as $4800-5000.

So honestly, if Starwood offers something that I cannot perceive to be anywhere in that range, it will only solidify my argument and rational for going "Hard Hyatt" in 2015.

It seems cheap money has made it easier for hotels to expand. I haven't run the numbers, but I would dare say Hyatt is growing faster than SPG. And Hyatt is growing where I want them to grow too. They aren't building dozens of properties in cities in China that 99% of the American populace will not visit. Before you know it, Starwood is going to be a asian brand attempting to appeal to american markets. Rather than an american brand trying to appeal to the asian markets.

At the rate Starwood is going, Starwood will be a great brand for asian business travelers who don't travel abroad much - but who desire strong brand presence in the continent they spend most of their time.

And soon you will hear americans saying, "What is that Starwood brand? I hear they have all those asian hotels? Oh is that the place we stayed at in Florida? You know, the Westin Diplomat we stayed at in Florida? Oh they don't have Westin anymore? Do they even have hotels in America anymore?"

Originally Posted by Alex_I
There are other possible options:
1) Waiver of the resort fees
2) Faster Internet
3) Personal Ambassador
4) 24 Hr check-in benefit
5) Free magazine subscription
6) Free luggage tags
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by factory81
The Hyatt confirmed suite night awards are a better option. I have 10 suite night awards which can barely get approved in the best of circumstances.

Hyatt members have (up to) 28 days of CONFIRMED suite nights. No matter how I slice or dice my stay'n'prays in Starwoodland, I still will at MOST only get use them for 10 days.

Meanwhile all the Hyatt members take a week long trip to the Park Hyatt in Paris with a CONFIRMED SUITE UPGRADE. Maybe they stop over in NYC for a week at the Park Hyatt and get another CONFIRMED SUITE UPGRADE. At this point they must be restless from staying in such luxurious rooms, so maybe they stop at the Beaver Creek Park Hyatt for some ski-in/ski-out vacation with a CONFIRMED SUITE UPGRADE. If they get bored after 7 days at Beaver Creek. Maybe they consider another week at the Park Hyatt in so-cal.

It sure must suck to be a Hyatt member.......

Staying in all of those suites........

Smiling as you look at the bill for over $1000/nt - that you don't have to pay.

Meanwhile Starwood Platinum 100 members will be standing around, begging to be upgraded out of the 270 square foot closet they were upgraded to, because their suite night award wouldn't clear for a real room.
Might I suggest, then, that you stop staying at SPG hotels and switch to Hyatt? You have a choice. So make the choice that you obviously feel is better.

I love SPG AND Hyatt--but mostly for their upscale/luxury properties. SPG has far more than Hyatt, currently, but Hyatt is improving. I love PH and Andaz, and sometimes GH. I love StR, W, and LC. But for me, SPG's LM and Westin are, more often than not, better than HR and Hyatt hotels.

Hyatt's confirmed SUs are only for paid stays. They are awesome, but a paid stay at the PH Vendome or PH NYC is VERY expensive. Hyatt Diamond doesn't get me automatically upgraded to standard suites when available, but SPG Platinum status does--without any special upgrade needed at all. SPG SNAs work on award stays; Hyatt SUs don't. Even when I don't use SNAs on award stays, I am able to get upgraded to standard suites based on availability--which for me almost always happens.

You are welcome to choose Hyatt over SPG. I like both, for different reasons. Together, they meet my needs quite well.

Your sense of entitlement for one chain to give you what another chain gives you--without recognizing that the other chain doesn't give you something that the one chain does--is amusing.

I wonder if Hyatt members complain as harshly as you have here that Hyatt doesn't automatically upgrade Diamonds to standard suites in the same way that SPG does based on availability...

Only twice in the past year have I NOT been upgraded to a standard suite (or better) at any of the StR, W, LC, LM, and Westin hotels at which I've stayed (and I was at 96 nights last year). I'm pretty happy with my SPG Platinum status...and I only used my SNAs once (for 4 night StR SF paid combo business/leisure stay, and I was triple upgraded into a speciality suite).

Please feel free to move your business to Hyatt. It will make you happier, it seems, and mean I have less competition for my SPG suite upgrades.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:17 pm

Preach it brother. I lived a lie in 2014, subscribing to all the SPG lies. I am already deep into my "Hard Hyatt 2k15" strategy. I will end 2015 with;

Hyatt Diamond Status
SPG Plat 75 (no reason to go 100....)
IHG Diamond
Marriott Silver (or better)
Club Carlson Gold (or better)
Hilton Gold

I agree, PH brand is minimal compared to the (ever shrinking) SPG Luxury footprint (I don't care if they build 50 luxury properties in the middle of china if they lose their best properties in Western Europe. CHINA <> EUROPE).

I don't mind how the stay is acquired. Points, cash, points + cash, points + shamrocks, I don't care. I get confirmed suite upgrades with no "stay'n'pray" required.

With 100% confidence, I can tell people something and come through with what I say. I don't have to stay'n'pray.

I will be honest. SPG platinum does NOTHING for me. If SPG platinum got me the same type of recognition IHG platinum got me - I would be in heaven. AND IHG IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BRAND ALL THE BUSINESS TRAVELERS HATE!

I am not sure where you are in life, but as a road warrior who takes advantage of any vacation time available - I find myself with vacation time available when every other person in the country has it available. What does this mean for me? I can't use my SNA's. I can't even hardly use them on business, unless I want to use them at the Pittsburgh Airport Sheraton.............

Half the hotels don't even have suites anymore. Sheraton clubs are becoming as nostalgic as Pan Am airlines.

I have so many curse words I could use to try and describe the closets SPG has given this 100 night platinum member, these upgrades based on availability you speak of. It is a laughable topic for me really. Because I just can't help but laugh at how foolish I was.

People tell me, its my staying patterns. Sun-Friday is difficult time to upgrade people. People tell me, there could be SPG 200 members staying next to you. People tell me that even though my Tuesday-Friday stay isn't as difficult as my Sun-Fri night stays - that because it is peak season or a popular time for the property there will be no upgrades. I have had ZERO SUCCESS with Your24. Your24 remains the biggest mystery for me......

How do the "true starwood platinum members" like this? Do you guys stay 300 nights a year?

I have request Your24 now at least half a dozen times and been denied all half a dozen times.
Honestly, I just want everyone who brags about SPG being awesome to post their account activity and help us analyze their stays better.

Because it seems like 2% of the user base is casting this image of "awesome upgrades and amazement", meanwhile 98% of us get stuck with the broom closet.

Don't get me wrong. I will still earn SPG points for the sake converting them to airline miles. But I will not quit leaving 1 star reviews on Tripadvisor and Yelp. I will not quit talking poorly about SPG on here. I will not quit advising new hires/coworkers to stay at Hyatt/any other brand but SPG.

STAY AT REAL HOTEL BRANDS THAT OFFER A GUARANTEE, AND COMMIT TO THEIR PROMISES

I am starting a new hotel brand tomorrow. All of you can stay in my apartment and earn 200,000 factory81 points a night, and you can all have unlimited suite upgrades based on availability. Unlimited prime rib dinners based on availability. Unlimited limo rides based on availability. Unlimited wives based on availability. Unlimited money ,based on availability.

WELCOME TO STARWOOD. YOUR WORLD IS BASED ON AVAILABILITY. AND GUESS WHAT? NOTHING IS AVAILABLE.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Might I suggest, then, that you stop staying at SPG hotels and switch to Hyatt? You have a choice. So make the choice that you obviously feel is better.

I love SPG AND Hyatt--but mostly for their upscale/luxury properties. SPG has far more than Hyatt, currently, but Hyatt is improving. I love PH and Andaz, and sometimes GH. I love StR, W, and LC. But for me, SPG's LM and Westin are, more often than not, better than HR and Hyatt hotels.

Hyatt's confirmed SUs are only for paid stays. They are awesome, but a paid stay at the PH Vendome or PH NYC is VERY expensive. Hyatt Diamond doesn't get me automatically upgraded to standard suites when available, but SPG Platinum status does--without any special upgrade needed at all. SPG SNAs work on award stays; Hyatt SUs don't. Even when I don't use SNAs on award stays, I am able to get upgraded to standard suites based on availability--which for me almost always happens.

You are welcome to choose Hyatt over SPG. I like both, for different reasons. Together, they meet my needs quite well.

Your sense of entitlement for one chain to give you what another chain gives you--without recognizing that the other chain doesn't give you something that the one chain does--is amusing.

I wonder if Hyatt members complain as harshly as you have here that Hyatt doesn't automatically upgrade Diamonds to standard suites in the same way that SPG does based on availability...

Only twice in the past year have I NOT been upgraded to a standard suite (or better) at any of the StR, W, LC, LM, and Westin hotels at which I've stayed (and I was at 96 nights last year). I'm pretty happy with my SPG Platinum status...and I only used my SNAs once (for 4 night StR SF paid combo business/leisure stay, and I was triple upgraded into a speciality suite).

Please feel free to move your business to Hyatt. It will make you happier, it seems, and mean I have less competition for my SPG suite upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.