Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood properties near Dulles airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:16 pm
RZR
Original Poster

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium

Hi, I'll be transmitting thru Dulles airport and am looking for the closest Starwood. Perhaps someone with local knowledge can recommend the 2 or 3 closest and which they would select.
Will be checking in 9pm .
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by RZR
Hi, I'll be transmitting thru Dulles airport and am looking for the closest Starwood. Perhaps someone with local knowledge can recommend the 2 or 3 closest and which they would select.
Will be checking in 9pm .
Westin is right to the East, and there's an Aloft right to the north, take your pick. I personally always preferred Westin because of their heavenly bed.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:29 pm

Sheraton Herndon Dulles is close and has good weekend rates too .. $59!

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=1998
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Aloft is a bit of a ways from the airport--prob 5 miles down the highway--though it still probably has a shuttle since it calls itself "Aloft Dulles Airport." I've been there and the breakfast was grab & go style from the downstairs area and was a really rubbery bagel and questionable egg something. The sheets were also not very good. Don't recommend.

The closest ones to the airport (in terms of driving) are the Westin and Sheraton Herndon Dulles. I've been to the Sheraton Herndon Dulles and it's nice enough. Lounge is basically the elevator lobby of the 6th floor (which is key restricted), though it's not refreshed on the weekends. Sheraton Reston is a bit nicer if you're willing to venture 10 minutes away from the airport (as opposed to 3-5 min for Herndon Dulles)--probably same time in the car as Aloft.

Can't compare either to the Westin, though...
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
Sheraton Herndon Dulles is close and has good weekend rates too .. $59!

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=1998
Their shuttle stops running at 12am. What a bummer ...
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:42 pm
RZR
Original Poster

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Thx much. I'll pick "Westin Dulles airport"
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RZR
good choice....i end up staying here a few times every year & highly recommend it....
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by RZR
The Westin doesn't really upgrade (and there aren't many suites) but they give platinums free breakfast buffet vouchers for the main restaurant. Its rates aren't much higher than the Sheraton and the Aloft so I agree that it's a total no-brainer to book here.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
There are at least 4 SPG properties that have free shuttles from Dulles: Sheraton Dulles, Sheraton Reston, Aloft Dulles, and Westin Dulles. And it seems to me that I've seen seen 2 Westin shuttles, but I'm not sure where the 2nd one is from.

I've had good experiences at all 4 hotels, although there is a horror story on this board about the Aloft. Certainly one can't argue with choosing Westin Dulles; as noted, they give free breakfasts to Plats. On the weekend that is usually true for Plats at Sheraton Dulles, as they typically upgrade Plats to Club Level, but since the lounge is closed on weekends, they give you a free breakfast instead.

The one thing that is not great about all of them except Sheraton Reston is that they're not within walking distance of much. But for a 1 night stay, that shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy your stay. tls
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by thelostshark
There are at least 4 SPG properties that have free shuttles from Dulles: Sheraton Dulles, Sheraton Reston, Aloft Dulles, and Westin Dulles. And it seems to me that I've seen seen 2 Westin shuttles, but I'm not sure where the 2nd one is from.
Westin Reston operates a Dulles shuttle as well. It's right next door to the Sheraton Reston.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Both the Sheraton and Westin were pretty straightforward for finding Best Rate Guarantees, at least when I was looking in the area last year. The Aloft was impossible.

So, a potential 2000 point bonus there.

Closed lounge at the Sheraton on the weekend meant free breakfast and free appetizer in the bar. Plus there were still cans of soft drinks available at the lounge on the 6th floor, presumably just not replenished.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Both the Sheraton and Westin were pretty straightforward for finding Best Rate Guarantees, at least when I was looking in the area last year.
where are you looking????i haven't had a successful claim at both properties for a while now....
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:01 pm

there are 5 properties around
Aloft -- highly suggested against. Far away, and untrained staff
Then
a Sheraton/Westin pair really close to Dulles. The Sheraton is a sister property of a Hyatt Place, and they'll actually match prices one to the other. Needless to say it not really meet Sheraton standard. Most shabby breakfast ever for a Sheraton for me. But, the price has always been right.
Westin Dulles is much better.

Then, another Sheraton/westin pair on Reston township. Now these two are sister properties. Only stayed at the Westin and got $26 allowance for breakfast -- that's 13/pp for two. Also different people translate this allowance differently. So, I don't think this is a well managed property to have this kind of confusion between staff in the first place, and a strict $13/pp for continental breakfast is being nickel and dime as well. The hard product is good, though.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Dulles - Which SPG?

This is a very helpful thread as it seems there are a couple of SPG's right at IAD, (Westin & Sheraton Dulles) and a couple of others just a few minutes further (Westin & Sheraton Reston) with an Aloft over to the north.....

I arrive IAD mid-afternoon on a Saturday, yet leave IAD 7:50am on a Sunday.

(will get "breakfast" on the flight, so Sunday morning lounge access/free breakfast isn't a huge thing for me )

Last edited by skye1; May 26, 2015 at 8:27 am
Old May 26, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by skye1
This is a very helpful thread as it seems there are a couple of SPG's right at IAD, (Westin & Sheraton Dulles) and a couple of others just a few minutes further (Westin & Sheraton Reston) with an Aloft over to the north.....

I arrive IAD mid-afternoon on a Saturday, yet leave IAD 7:50am on a Sunday.

(will get "breakfast" on the flight, so Sunday morning lounge access/free breakfast isn't a huge thing for me )
If suite upgrades aren't important, then the Westin IAD is by far the nicest. If you want easy access into DC, then the Reston properties are close to the Metro's new Silver Line. If you want the cheapest rate, Sheraton or Aloft IAD are likely to be lowest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.