Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Walked as Plat 100 by Westin St. Francis on $ 781 room rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walked as Plat 100 by Westin St. Francis on $ 781 room rate

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
How anyone would troll the op is beyond me. My condolences for the issue.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
How anyone would troll the op is beyond me. My condolences for the issue.
who trolled the OP?????
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
When arriving late, say after 7PM I always email the hotel in advance, then call again on day of arrival. When arriving around or after midnight, this is critical.

It sounds like they changed your reservation in some form which prompted an automatic email.

Did you tell the Palace that you're Plat when you learnt they didn't know?
I am not sure this would have helped the OP in this situation. He already had a prepaid stay. That should count for more than a phone call saying "I am still coming but will be late".

I would bet that the OP would have been walked regardless. Bottomline, the hotel messed up big time. Walking six Platinums? That's ridiculous especially with a prepaid reservation.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by emrdoc
I am not sure this would have helped the OP in this situation. He already had a prepaid stay. That should count for more than a phone call saying "I am still coming but will be late".

I would bet that the OP would have been walked regardless. Bottomline, the hotel messed up big time. Walking six Platinums? That's ridiculous especially with a prepaid reservation.
agree. which is why calling is really not gonna move the needle either way. i have not been walked in over 500 nights at SPG and i have never called once... this "seasoned traveler" has managed just fine without calling, but even if i did call in OP's position, it would have been a futile effort. i have been walked one time at a Hyatt as a diamond.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
I thought perhaps the walk procedure was not followed completely.

Let OP report back the recovery offered by the GM. It is a chance for the GM to set things right.

Hope the rest goes well in the end!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I have been contacted by a director of the Ambassador operations team (I guess based on them monitoring Flyertalk), who wants to discuss this with me over the phone today or tomorrow. That's nice, but the very reason I am here is because of business meetings, and while I like to vent here when I find the time in between, this issue is not my primary concern over the next few days, so I will contact them when I have time.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: spg plat, AA PLAT, Hertz 5 star
Well I learned my lesson the hard way when The Westin NY Times Square walked us after arriving around 1AM. It gets better, they gave us $15 for taxi fare to Aloft Harlem, when it came up closer to $30.

Since then I always specify my time of arrival, I also make sure and email the hotel directly to make sure my room is kept for me.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
When arriving late, say after 7PM I always email the hotel in advance, then call again on day of arrival. When arriving around or after midnight, this is critical.
This might be good advice, but for me, it's more trouble than it's worth and would actually increase my stress. I have enough things to worry about to even think about the slim possibility of getting walked. Calling ahead increases the worry and may not help anyway. It would be like worrying about a plane being late; nothing can be done about it and it's something we usually find out about too late anyway.

Also, it's not possible to call if arriving in Asia after an overseas flight.

If I get walked, I will try to enjoy the experience........ and related
compensation.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by kevino
This might be good advice, but for me, it's more trouble than it's worth and would actually increase my stress. I have enough things to worry about to even think about the slim possibility of getting walked. Calling ahead increases the worry and may not help anyway. It would be like worrying about a plane being late; nothing can be done about it and it's something we usually find out about too late anyway.

Also, it's not possible to call if arriving in Asia after an overseas flight.

If I get walked, I will try to enjoy the experience........ and related
compensation.
+1
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
That maybe your view, but any seasoned traveller does this to prevent being walked. Not all hotels have strong systems, and we often are arriving off flights after midnight, or even as late as 6AM the next morning.
You are mistaken. I almost never check into hotels before 10pm and I have only once (when my check-in was going to be after 2am) called the hotel, and I have NEVER been walked by a Starwood property. (Once by a Marriott property, odd situation where the main computer didn't sync to the hotel property - and I was really happy to get that walk because it gave me that night free, 2 more nights free, and $200 cash).

Last edited by sbrower; Jan 13, 2015 at 10:45 am
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
who trolled the OP?????
I didn't say so. The fact that the OP mentioned he was prepared for negative comments were what sparked my comment. And then I mentioned if anyone would troll the OP = unbelievable. At the time of my posting (haven't finished reading but got to your post), I had witnessed none - just this behavior on FT to not have sympathy when someone deserves so (as noted by the OP with his remark) is a culture that I hope will change.

PS Saying that people should call/email the hotel ahead of the stay is ridiculous. A customer paid for his room, he deserves his room. "Rest Easy"? Yeah like that's rest easy...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I thought "standard" walk comp is one night points at current category level. OP, given absurdly high rate which was pre-paid, should be compensated at least two nights worth of points.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
OP: "DYKWIA??!!!!"

That being said, I'm sure the hotel (or at least the GM) hates walking guests, let alone plats, knowing they would loose loyalty to the property and more likely to complain, due to travel experience. The FDC however has shown much less empathy than expected, he/she might thought he was doing you a favor (upgrading you to a LC, his opinion), and perhaps they walk people fairly often.

Compare the empathy between a genius at a small town apple store and the ones at 5th Av.

Last edited by miloworld; Jan 13, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
My sympathies to the OP. This sounds like lousy treatment by the hotel in a number of respects. Hope you get adequate compensation for this mess. You're very entitled to vent!

As for the notion that the OP should have emailed ahead to let the hotel know of late arrival...yeah, a good idea in theory. But as someone who takes many overseas trips for work and play I have to admit that I rarely if ever do this. (And as noted, it's unlikely that this would have done the OP any good in this situation anyway.) For one thing, I'm usually too busy attending to many personal and business matters before getting on the plane. And like the OP I tend to rely on the Starwood (and other hotels') assurances that I should "rest easy" about my reservation - to me that conveys an assurance that I don not have to sweat the possibility that anything is not in order.

Adding a bit of insult to injury, the very high room rate and Plat 100 status of OP makes this an extra service failure by the hotel, though it's not a good way to treat any customer.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I have a late arrival planned for the Sheraton Seattle coming up. As I was reading this, I thought, "maybe I should update my arrival time." Just then I got an e-mail from their VIP and Club Manager asking about my arrival time and any requests for my stay. Fancy that...and at a US Sheraton, no less!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.