Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

Please use this thread to post failures or difficulties in securing Platinum upgrades, based on the published benefits of the Platinum level, which are :

"Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites"

qualified by

"Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel.
Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally.
The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties"

For a detailed discussion of the Platinum upgrade benefit, see the wiki at I'm Platinum. Why didn't I get a complimentary suite upgrade? [Master thread].

Starwood do not publish which of the various categories of Suites at each hotel are 'Standard', and which are not, so we don't know which Suites are in the 'Upgrade Pool', and which are excluded. So, if a Suite is available under the terms and qualifications of the benefit, but an upgrade is denied, and it is not absolutely clear that the Suite in question is not a "Standard Suite", then we should report that as a failure.

If you only manage to secure a rightful upgrade after challenging the front desk on check-in, or have instances where SNAs (Suite Night Upgrade) were not honoured, then you may report this too.

You may also report instances where suites are showing as available online, but not actually available at the hotel, due to (apparent) differences in real-time availability online.

Please post in standard format :

Property :
Dates(s) :
Room booked :
Room received : (if different than above):
Award stay :: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.)
BRG stay : (yes/no)
SNA(s) requested : (yes/no)
Comments :

...and include in the comments, particularly, the 'non-Standard' Suite category that you failed to secure an upgrade to

Previous years discussion:
Report your Platinum Upgrade Failures
Report your Platinum Upgrade Failures 2011
Post your Platinum upgrade FAILURES 2012
Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]
Print Wikipost

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:18 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Property: Sheraton München Westpark
Date(s): 09/19-20/2015
Room booked: Superior Room
Room received: Business suite, then Club room
Award stay: no
BRG stay: yes
SNAs redeemed: returned, I think
Comments: The hotel GM had personally informed me that I had been downgraded the final night claiming the hotel had 8 suites and I was not entitled to any of them. I was fine with downgrading, but I went from a room that was clean and functioning to one that was clean and not functioning at all. I was profoundly annoyed by that, and got the room rate adjusted downward as compensation for my having to wake up at 6am to move and for the inconvenience caused by nothing working.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
If i see platinum eligible upgrade room available on OTA but not available on SPG.com
Is it failure ?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by nongsom
If i see platinum eligible upgrade room available on OTA but not available on SPG.com
Is it failure ?
NO!
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Sheraton Austin

Property : Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol
Dates(s) : 11/3-5
Room booked : Traditional
Room received : (if different than above): Same
Award stay : (yes), type (FAN)
BRG stay : (N/A)
SNA(s) requested : (no) Does not participate
Comments : They do not offer standard suites (just a Pres Suite) but do offer Superior, Deluxe and Club rooms. The hotel was sold out one of my nights so I had no expectations, especially since reviews say Plat upgrades are not a priority here. However, in my nearly four years as Plat I've stayed in many sold out hotels but this is the first time I didn't get at least an enhanced room upgrade.

To their credit, they cheerfully provided Club Lounge access after (4 pm) check-out; I asked about waiting there after learning my flight was delayed 3 hrs.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Sheraton Austin

<deleted>

Last edited by megalab; Nov 7, 2015 at 8:31 am Reason: Network glitch, posted twice
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Post Sheraton Towers Singapore

Property: Sheraton Towers Singapore
Date(s): December 2015 (1 night)
Room booked: Deluxe
Room received: Deluxe
Award stay: Yes (Sheraton Weekend Free Night promo)
BRG stay: No
SNAs redeemed: N/A
Comments: No upgrade though other room categories were still showing.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Property : sheraton anchorage hotel & spa....
Dates(s) : 2 nights in december, 2015....
Room booked : traditional king....
Room received : (if different than above): traditional king....
Award stay :: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.) no....
BRG stay : (yes/no) no....
SNA(s) requested : (yes/no) no....
Comments : i booked a traditional room & that's exactly what i got....at check in there were deluxe rooms, rooms with a view & club rooms available online but i got no upgrade whatsoever....
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Property: Westin Georgetown
Date(s): December 14-18
Room booked: Deluxe
Room received: Deluxe (SPG Floor)
Award stay: No
BRG stay: No
SNAs redeemed: No
Comments: When checking-in I was informed of my Gold amenity. When mentioning that I was Plat, the clerk mumbled something about a better room. It's smaller than the room I stayed in back in July. Scratch this property.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:12 am

Property: Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa
Nov 27-30
Room Booked Premium deluxe room Queen Bed High Floor
Room Received Premium deluxe room Queen Bed High Floor
Award stay No
BRG stay No
SNA requested no
Cash paid for room
Customer Status Platinum

Comment: modern room
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
I have 17 stays this year after being platinum, I only got 3 suite upgrades, deducting the 2 that they really got no suite (checked from web 1hr before check-in) + 3 were stays in Aloft (which does not have this benefit covered), > 50% of my stays were suite available but I am not able to get them.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by fakeman
I have 17 stays this year after being platinum, I only got 3 suite upgrades, deducting the 2 that they really got no suite (checked from web 1hr before check-in) + 3 were stays in Aloft (which does not have this benefit covered), > 50% of my stays were "suite available" but I am not able to get them.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by fakeman
I have 17 stays this year after being platinum, I only got 3 suite upgrades, deducting the 2 that they really got no suite (checked from web 1hr before check-in) + 3 were stays in Aloft (which does not have this benefit covered), > 50% of my stays were suite available but I am not able to get them.
Frequency of successful suite upgrade is disappointing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.