Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG ?)
If a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%.
"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG (only exception is when there is no availability on the Starwood website)
• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)
• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.

Differing currencies
• "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Practicalities During/After Stay
• Reconfirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
• If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If not contact the BRG office to arrange to have them posted.

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "send confirmation" link for the BRG reservation
• reload the page and you should be able to now select "apply SNA to this stay" link
Print Wikipost

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
They must be back on business. Only 2 Hours response time. ^^^

Hotel Name: The St. Regis Houston
Dates: 5 nights in March 2016
Number of Adults :2
Number of Rooms : 1
Room Type On Reservation: Superior, non-smoking
Starwood Rate : USD 2509.65
Competing Website : galahotels.com
Competing rate : USD 1797
Comments : All taxes and fees included.
BRG Reward : twentyPercent
Actual confirmed rate: $273.70 USD per room per night plus taxes and fees ($342.12 USD less 20%)

However, the actual confirmed rate above is higher than i expected. it should be 245.74$ per night plus taxes and fees (which is 17%) according to my calculation. so i replied back to them and ask for re-processing my claim.

maybe they didn't see the same rate i saw due to geographical location when accessing the competing website.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
follow up my previous post.

they replied me back within 30 minutes!!! and also approved my claim at lower rate ( exactly the same as my calculation) ^^^

Actual confirmed rate: 245.74 USD plus taxes, per night

Starwood BRG is back on track, Im sure.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
BRG Team is indeed on the ball this week. ^

I had an approval within 40 mins moments ago and while the approved rate is a couple dollars higher, I will leave as is.

Job well done as usual with Starwood BRG process.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
33 minutes for a response & an approved brg....great to have things back on track again....^^
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
So I had a claim approved by the BRG team without making a reservation. When the approved mail came in, they said that it is now required to make a reservation when submitting a claim. I then replied back by saying If the T&C's has changed, then why does the new claim form gives me the choice to select that I don't have a reservation?

They replied the following:

One exception to submitting a claim without a confirmation number is when our website is completely sold out for your dates; however, is there we have any availability (even for a different room type) a confirmation number would be required.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Got a response within 90 minutes, now that's impressive!

Hotel Name: The Westin Leipzig
Dates: 04/01/16 - 06/01/16
Room Type On Reservation: Classic
Starwood Rate: 89 EUR
Competing Website: hotel's own website*
Competing rate : 83 EUR
BRG reward: points
Actual confirmed rate: 83 EUR per room per night

*for some reason, the hotel website's Offers section uses an external booking API rather than SPG's own, so I thought I'd try my luck and it worked!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:14 pm

Does anyone know if there are any limitations on back to back BRG claims? I've had a successful claim approved for a 3 night stay. I now realise I've got to stay on for another 2 nights, there's another possible BRG claim for those nights and obviously I could claim another 2k points if approved but don't know if there's any limitations (ihg I know is 50 miles or 7 days)

if I attempt to change my original bookin, this should invalidate the claim.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by cstorrie
Does anyone know if there are any limitations on back to back BRG claims? I've had a successful claim approved for a 3 night stay. I now realise I've got to stay on for another 2 nights, there's another possible BRG claim for those nights and obviously I could claim another 2k points if approved but don't know if there's any limitations (ihg I know is 50 miles or 7 days)

The terms say something along the lines that you can't get 2 BRGs in the same city within the same week, but it has been a bit confusing. You most likely will not get back to back BRG 2k points on extending your stay, they will only give you one bonus of 2k.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by cstorrie

What the BRG dept will do is honor the lower rate but you will only get one award.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:58 pm

Think i got lucky on this one. Wasn't aware of the recent T&C change where you had to have an existing booking so i thought i would give it a go without one.

Hotel Name: Walt Disney World Swan Hotel
Dates: 21/01/16 - 28/01/16
Room Type On Reservation: Traditional
Starwood Rate: 255 USD + taxes + resort fee
Competing Website: www.hotelsclick.com
Competing rate : 183USD + taxes + resort fees
BRG reward: twenty percent
Actual confirmed rate: $130.14 USD + taxes + resort fees, per night ($162.67 USD less 20%)

Pretty happy with that considering its pretty hard to find Disney Hotels at a cheaper rate to start off with
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:41 pm

I am a newbie on flyer talk and this is my first post.

I entered a BRG claim without reservation and got pointed out this is no longer possible but they would process my claim anyway.

However I got denied the claim because they took the higher room rate from the competing website. The competing website had a different rate for twin or double. The BRG team simply took the highest rate they could find for a wonderful room in a W which was the double. They also showed me their screenshot which actually shows the lower twin rate as well.

The argument made is that the room type cannot be guaranteed. I do not exactly understand what is Starwoods point here but it sometimes makes sense to book on competing websites cause you get lower rates?

The BRG seems a bit like cheat because I cannot find anything in starwoords conditions about this.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Note: When it's said "the absolute lowest rate on SPG", AFAIK this does NOT include AAA/AARP rates, only lowest available rate. It also does not include promotions I'm pretty sure, as I've made BRG claims against hotel rates that were only higher under "lowest available", but would've been lower using e.g. a promotional discount, and it WAS approved. So if there's a promotional rate that's lower it might be hit/miss on whether the SPG team will approve your claim or not.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Smiley90
When it's said "the absolute lowest rate on SPG", AFAIK this does NOT include AAA/AARP rates
It's the lowest "standard" rate that doesn't require membership. They also don't include SET rates.

if there's a promotional rate that's lower it might be hit/miss on whether the SPG team will approve your claim or not.
I've never had them use a promotional rate.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's the lowest "standard" rate that doesn't require membership. They also don't include SET rates.

I've never had them use a promotional rate.
That's my view too, I was responding mainly to this post:

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
As someone else said... exactly.

Unless the difference is less than 1%, they just compare your rate and the absolute lowest rate on spg.com, promotions etc included. It doesn't have to be a non-flexible rate on spg.com. Just the very lowest. Though of course you hardly ever find a flexible rate lower than a prepaid rate. But it does happen.

Then they amend the actual rate when they approve it.

Only the rate is amended; the reservation retains it's flexibility or cancellation penalties, as the case may be. That does not change.
I'm disagreeing with the bolded part. Promotions are NOT included, only lowest available rate.

I just didn't want to make a general statement in case some people had promotional rates used - personally, I've never experienced it.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:06 pm

I'm disagreeing with the bolded part. Promotions are NOT included, only lowest available rate.

I just didn't want to make a general statement in case some people had promotional rates used - personally, I've never experienced it.

To clarify, by "promotional" I meant rates available:
- under the "Offers" tab, shown on the main SPG website for the hotel, and
- rates that show up when you tick the box "Promotions & Packages" at the right-hand side of the booking page

If you are referring to those, I've definitely had BRG claims rejected, the BRG team citing those rates as lower than my qoted 3rd party rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.