Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG ?)
If a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%.
"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG (only exception is when there is no availability on the Starwood website)
• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)
• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.

Differing currencies
• "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Practicalities During/After Stay
• Reconfirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
• If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If not contact the BRG office to arrange to have them posted.

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "send confirmation" link for the BRG reservation
• reload the page and you should be able to now select "apply SNA to this stay" link
Print Wikipost

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by supatight80
But regardless of our experiences now, the terms havent changed. It is still 24-48 hours response time. And it is found after your submit your claim....."Thank you a brg team will contact you within 24-48 hours, etc. Etc"
I don't see that either. This is what I received from the BRG team two days ago:

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your email to the Best Rate Guarantee team. We appreciate you taking the time to email us.

This is an automated reply to let you know we have received your email and we will reply as soon as possible.

The Starwood eCommunications Team
I think flyertalkers made up that rule because generally we would receive a reply within 24 hours. In my case, I have never seen that term.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:05 pm

The reality is, and I suspect SPG knows this, the longer it takes to review claims, the fewer they will have to approve. Not saying that's the reason for the delay, just a point that is frustrating for us members.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I don't see that either. This is what I received from the BRG team two days ago:

I think flyertalkers made up that rule because generally we would receive a reply within 24 hours. In my case, I have never seen that term.

Not in the email..After you click "submit" on your brg claim form, that's when it states response time will be 24-48 hours.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:47 pm

Not in the email..After you click "submit" on your brg claim form, that's when it states response time will be 24-48 hours.
I just filed a claim and clicked submit and this is what I got.

Thank you for completing a Best Rate Guarantee claim, it has been submitted for validation.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I know it can become quite frustrating due to the longer response times. But the brg team are doing their best to review claims as fast as possible. But one thing I know for certain is that they are NOT delaying the review process so that they can and will deny brg claims. I have 45 reserved paid nights so far and all are brg rates.

Case point, a few days ago i submitted a claim for palacio del inka cusco. It got denied as the rates from the OTAs and spg.com were in parity by the time they reviewed my claim (trust me, i checked and indeed the OTA rates were in parity after more than 24 hours of wait time).

Fast forward yesterday, the OTA rates went down again. So i resubmitted my claim(s). Today, after more than 24 hours when i resubmitted my claim, they were approved with a much lower rate than i expected.

Property: Palacio del inka cusco
Date: May 2015 (3 nights)
Spg.com rate per night: 218$ + s.c. & tax
My brg rate per night: 211.46$ + s.c. & tax (kayak) or 206.66$ + s.c. & tax (otel.com)
Rate brg team found while reviewing my claim: 186.91$ (kayak) or 194.13$ (otel.com)
Took 20% off
Rate i'll be paying: 149.53$/night + s.c. & tax (went with kayak)

So there...when they review your claim even after 24 hours and the OTA rates go lower, they approve it. It really is all about timing and luck.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
It really is all about timing and luck.
Which is new.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
Which is new.
Ok i'm going to shut up now..just sayin' there's really nothing we can do if they're receiving thousands of brg claims.. At least they now have more brg folks to process our claims as compared to 2 years ago...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Ok i'm going to shut up now..just sayin' there's really nothing we can do if they're receiving thousands of brg claims.. At least they now have more brg folks to process our claims as compared to 2 years ago...
Sure there is....we can petition them to return to 10% to bring wait times back to reality.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
I tried to search but can't find relevant info in this forum, if I can find a room in hotels.com, while SPG website saying "full", can I claim? Or at least can I get the booking under SPG because no points can be gained when booking with agency.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by fakeman
I tried to search but can't find relevant info in this forum, if I can find a room in hotels.com, while SPG website saying "full", can I claim? Or at least can I get the booking under SPG because no points can be gained when booking with agency.
You can try, though may or may not be accepted.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by fakeman
Wiki:

"• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify. "
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
St. Regis, Osaka: Confirmed rate: 16,457.18 JPY, per room, per night, plus taxes and fees (20,571.48 JPY less 20%)

If I loose platinum status at the end of this month, will this reservation still receive benefits?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Had a bit of a squeaker just now that made me a but nervous.

I submitted a BRG claim late on 28JAN and received an approval with an immediate rate adjustment this morning at 629 Eastern Time, just 9 hours before check-in time.

The fact that the BRG team is up and on it at 630 am Eastern impresses me a bit, since I am not a morning person.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
40 hours later ... and denied. The SPG rate dropped about the 24-hour mark. At least they were nice enough to call, albeit not with any good news. It is rather disappointing that exceptions are not being made when they are the ones responsible for the denials.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:00 pm

Mine as well got denied. They claim that the rate on the competing website disappeared, however, upon checking, it's still there.

Now I have to submit another claim and wait another 48 hours. Why couldn't they check properly?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.