Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Lake Como Hotel, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:19 am
Original Poster

The Grand Hotel di Como

http://www.grandhoteldicomo.com/

is joining Sheraton on April 1 as the Sheraton Lake Como Hotel

Source:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ll/detail.html
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Nice! Thanks for the info!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, A3-Gold
As I was planning to be in Milan in July anyway, this is great news.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great news.^^ Not bookable yet. Hopefully, it actually opens as Sheraton on April 1.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:36 am
Community Director Emerita

I love staying on Lake Como. It's a challenge to find a decent property as so many are old, small, and not very well maintained. I'll be interested to read FTers reviews of this property. For now, here are the Trip Advisor reviews. It appears this is not immediately on the lake but across from it? or a couple blocks back?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I love staying on Lake Como. It's a challenge to find a decent property as so many are old, small, and not very well maintained. I'll be interested to read FTers reviews of this property. For now, here are the Trip Advisor reviews. It appears this is not immediately on the lake but across from it? or a couple blocks back?
It is not immediately on the lake and it is also not really close to the city centre of Como, hence it will be branded as a 4 star Sheraton. Judging from the information available at the moment, it will be a nice bridge property between the low end SPG properties in Italy (many have left already) and the really really upscale ones.

Anyway, any new hotel in Europe is highly appreciated, we even take 1* properties in a heartbeat these days.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:04 am

I'm sure George will let you sleep on his couch if you want to stay on the lakefront
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Nice news ^
Italy has lost over a dozen hotels in the last 2-4 years and gained only St Clemente in Venice which Cat 7 (). We tend to go on 3 weeks vacation at a time and while I average about 200K points a year, I view Cat 7 more like a curious animal. I hope this one is Cat 4 or 5. Everything has become Cat 6 nowadays which is 67% difference in points to Cat 5.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, Sheraton and Lake Como don't go together.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
+1
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Medved
Nice news ^
Italy has lost over a dozen hotels in the last 2-4 years and gained only St Clemente in Venice which Cat 7 (). We tend to go on 3 weeks vacation at a time and while I average about 200K points a year, I view Cat 7 more like a curious animal. I hope this one is Cat 4 or 5. Everything has become Cat 6 nowadays which is 67% difference in points to Cat 5.
Very encouraged by this news and that Starwood is not just building a portfolio of Italian hotels at the super luxury end. I hope there are more like this to come and I look forward to staying at this property when it re-brands.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
While I agree a Sheraton will be a curious fit, I'm very happy nonetheless!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott BONVOY PLAT Lifetime PLATINUM, 16 years elite; AA 2MM LTPlat, UA, US, DL
ahh....time to come full circle! My first trip to Italy in 1997 started my SPG account (then it was ITT Sheraton) and I got a glorious upgrade right on the main calan next to the Doge's Palace, at the Danieli. I think the suite cost me about $214 a night with my "status" as member. What a glamorous place, and as frequent Lakes visitors this is very welcome news! We love to tool around Como and Garda and find a place to check into on a whim. We are overdue for a return to Venice, too.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Sure, but this Hotel could only be part as a Sheraton or a 4Pts...

and it is a little bit in the middle of nowhere...
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hmm... Might the property be planning more reliance on business/conference/wedding traffic than luxury-seeking individual travelers? I don't think Starwood's brandings are random and maybe they recognized they couldn't do justice to Luxury Collection or Westin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.