Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Does anyone feel too loyal to starwood like me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone feel too loyal to starwood like me?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Question Does anyone feel too loyal to starwood like me?

Even though...
1. Many high night stays at SPG but exclusive offer gets nothing.
2. Potential not to have requalification gift this year.
3. Many complaint about ambassador are not worthy.

Don't you?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Talking

Originally Posted by nongsom
Even though...
1. Many high night stays at SPG but exclusive offer gets nothing.
2. Potential not to have requalification gift this year.
3. Many complaint about ambassador are not worthy.

Don't you?
Umm..Hello, have you read this forum? LOL
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
While I think a little browsing of a few threads on this forum would indicate that there are quite a few people who are / were loyal to Starwood considering that position at the moment. Each will no doubt come to their own conclusion.

My personal feelins on it is I have been very loyal to Starwood for over a decade now and am lucky to do most of my 200 nights this year for personal travel rather than business and as such really do have a choice. This year 150 of those nights have been with Starwood, the most elsewhere because there is no property available, although towards the end of this year for the first time in a decade that was not always the case because I do feel Starwood is not the offering it once was to its more loyal customers.

It seems either they have grown larger and thus the concern and efforts that was once there is no more or the accountability of properties no longer exists to the same degree.

There was always going to be a decrease in bonus promos etc once the economy picked up over the previous few years but it has felt like the level of service has also dropped and attention to their top customers is no longer there. A lot might be to do with to muchn expansion of the Ambassador program which means the service that once was there has gone and also the knock on effect of moving the better Plat Concierges over to be Ambassadors means an effect for the Platinum side as well.

My main concern though is how many properties and people within Starwood management actually don't care about this or now seem to believe that Starwood is so good and a better offering than anyone else they almost don' need to try or make the effort that once was made.

So in truth I have felt I was loyal to Starwood in the past but felt it was loyalty well placed whereas after the last 12-18 months generally my feeling is Starwood is no longer a brand that having loyalty to really matters as it is much more a one way street to how it once was. It doesn't mean I wont stay with Starwood because I still love some properties but I now have loyalty to properties not Starwood as it has become clear it is foolish to do so and it seems other chains are maybe catching up on Starwood's loyalty programs and services and have more to offer than they advertise, just like Starwood once did!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
1. I get exclusive offers from Hilton too even when I don't stay any nights with them anymore. So, i really don't think exclusives are really exclusives
2. We get some many perks compared to the other programs so I wouldn't complain
3. I'm at 98 nights and avoided the 100 so I don't have someone bugging me. I didn't like my first ambassador and I hope I don't get the same one if I accidentally hit 100
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by anotheran2
1. I get exclusive offers from Hilton too even when I don't stay any nights with them anymore. So, i really don't think exclusives are really exclusives
2. We get some many perks compared to the other programs so I wouldn't complain
3. I'm at 98 nights and avoided the 100 so I don't have someone bugging me. I didn't like my first ambassador and I hope I don't get the same one if I accidentally hit 100
You can request to change your ambassador if you think the odds are in your favor that a different one will be better.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Switched from HH to Starwood on Jan. 1 this year, mostly due to their massive devaluation of last year and a realization that with a CC I can maintain at last, and HH Gold is [in practice] almost the same as HH Diamond in the US.

Thus far, I've decided to stay loyal to SPG because the properties are just so much more high quality and the staff really seem to be more friendly and helpful. I just wish some of the smaller cities I've had to travel to so I could move my last 15-20 nights/year away from Hilton and Marriott
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can request to change your ambassador if you think the odds are in your favor that a different one will be better.
My personal experience is I dont think it is always the Ambassadors where the issues lie! My Ambassador is great and tries his best but just to many properties now dont react / respond to Ambassadors because the program is diluted and it seems from what I have experienced and can tell this is not something that Starwood is that bothered about at a corporate level.

I can only imagine for the Ambassadors it is quite disheartening at times you have Starwood advertising and pushing the Ambassador program, you have guests who have been part of it for a few years and due to the dilution hotels just dont care anymore and they are powerless to do much about it!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by toddml
My personal experience is I dont think it is always the Ambassadors where the issues lie! My Ambassador is great and tries his best but just to many properties now dont react / respond to Ambassadors because the program is diluted and it seems from what I have experienced and can tell this is not something that Starwood is that bothered about at a corporate level.

I can only imagine for the Ambassadors it is quite disheartening at times you have Starwood advertising and pushing the Ambassador program, you have guests who have been part of it for a few years and due to the dilution hotels just dont care anymore and they are powerless to do much about it!
I was responding to someone who said that he/she didn't like their ambassador and was afraid that if he/she hit 100 nights, he/she would be stuck with the same ambassador.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:36 pm

I'm pre-upgraded to a nice suite at our favorite resort for our Christmas holidays.

So ya, I'm all to happy to be loyal...

Cheers,
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't think I understand the OP's use of the phrase 'too loyal.'

Too unwilling to do any work to evaluate how other chains and programs might work better for one's own circumstances?

Too overcome by inertia to make any change?

SPG is a hotel loyalty program - it's not a spouse with whom you have children. Breaking up is far easier than the OP is ready to acknowledge.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I don't change my stay pattern becasue of promotions. I consider promotions as bonus, but never go out of the way to stay at Hyatt, Marriott and Hiltons when they have promotions. Yes, SPG promotions would be nice to have.

I have been more than loyal to SPG, including 63 nights this year while not going for Diamond on Hilton. I am now at 498 LT nights and 2 more nights I'll be LT Plat. 2015 will be interesting, since I will not need to chase Plat requal on SPG. I am not interested in Hilton Diamond, now that their program has changed and devalued significantly. I would interested in checking out Hyatt only if there are enough Hyatts where I travel.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by anotheran2
"Exclusive" offers are meant to bring in more marginal business - that which would otherwise go elsewhere without a promotion.

There's no reason for SPG or any other business to offer a promotion to people whose travel patterns show they are already choosing SPG over another chain whenever they have the opportunity to do so. Loyalty programs are not designed to reward past behavior beyond the extent to which they can and will influence future behavior.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CIT85
I don't change my stay pattern becasue of promotions. I consider promotions as bonus
You and I may be the only people on FT who feel this way...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
The program to me is pretty awesome/I appreciate it. The properties in N. America need work. A lot of times I stay b/c of the program but would much rather stay somewhere else because the room/lounges etc are worse then competitors. Sheraton/4 points.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You and I may be the only people on FT who feel this way...
You are not alone...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.