Platinum 75 or 100

Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
The biggest benefit I've used is just emailing my ambassador directly for any issue--I just prefer it over calling the plat concierge. He typically is able to service any request similarly, but probably not much better.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen zero different treatment at a property because of my ambassador...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by qasr
The biggest benefit I've used is just emailing my ambassador directly for any issue--I just prefer it over calling the plat concierge. He typically is able to service any request similarly, but probably not much better.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen zero different treatment at a property because of my ambassador...
SPG is really not hotel loyalty but brand loyalty. It's different than say airline FFP that you are spending money on one corporation. SPG properties are individually owned and operated and hence they are less impress with you as a Plat than say someone else that stays with the hotel more regularly. Therefore, totally expect a hotel to value even a GO that stays 20 nights with them in a year, then a Plat that spends 5 nights with them a year.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
SPG is really not hotel loyalty but brand loyalty. It's different than say airline FFP that you are spending money on one corporation. SPG properties are individually owned and operated and hence they are less impress with you as a Plat than say someone else that stays with the hotel more regularly. Therefore, totally expect a hotel to value even a GO that stays 20 nights with them in a year, then a Plat that spends 5 nights with them a year.
This is exactly my experience. Although some high end luxury properties Internationally have treated me better than my local high volume N. America hotels. But generally it is true - the more you stay at one property and get to know front desk staff/GM, the better off you'll be... regardless of Ambassador.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Sometimes it's the exact opposite IMEs especially if it's a smaller property. My 1st,2nd,3rd stay - there's a need to impress a plat. Suite upgrades, goodies sent to room or already in room, a call from a supervisor/manager if everything is ok.

But the more I stay there, the less formal it becomes and more like a 'Sup homey? Welcome back' (you'd know when they dont ask for your id anymore and they call u by ur first name or the manager/staffs invites you for a drink/clubbing) treatment and no more calls or goodies in room. And then the upgrades become far and between.

I do prefer the more relaxed attitude of the staffs over the need for formalities as all my trips/100 nights are about partying and having fun. Just sayin' sometimes the more you stay in that 1 property, the less tangible benefits you get coz they know youre hooked.

Last edited by supatight80; Dec 22, 2014 at 11:17 pm
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:31 am

Make a green choice + plat 75 + more for you + SPG card spend + points for welcome gift = a good and steady stream of SPG points.

But yeah, no one cares you spend 100+ nights a year on the road with them. I'm just earning enough SPG points to say I'm moving toward my goals of staying in prime properties around the world.

I too, get the sup homey, welcome back feel. My upgrades as a repeat customer even are pretty weak. They find out what I like and just stick me in it every week.

Originally Posted by supatight80
Sometimes it's the exact opposite IMEs especially if it's a smaller property. My 1st,2nd,3rd stay - there's a need to impress a plat. Suite upgrades, goodies sent to room or already in room, a call from a supervisor/manager if everything is ok.

But the more I stay there, the less formal it becomes and more like a 'Sup homey? Welcome back' (you'd know when they dont ask for your id anymore and they call u by ur first name or the manager/staffs invites you for a drink/clubbing) treatment and no more calls or goodies in room. And then the upgrades become far and between.

I do prefer the more relaxed attitude of the staffs over the need for formalities as all my trips/100 nights are about partying and having fun. Just sayin' sometimes the more you stay in that 1 property, the less tangible benefits you get coz they know youre hooked.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Last night was my 100th night. Got a bottle of champagne and a bag of chocolates from mr. Pascal the gm at the sheraton pretoria for achieving my 100th, even though officially im still plt75.

So that's a good start hopefully surprises like this would continue when it becomes official after my stay here posts

And a duty manager also mentioned that the property usually gets an alert if a plt100 makes a reservation. So they can tell the different levels of plat. FWIW, got upgraded to deluxe suite day after my booking on the 1st 6 nights, then diplomatic suite on the last 5 nights (different rez).

So far so good!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:36 pm

I rolled over to 100nts this past week and had a bucket of beers and potato chips waiting for me in the room. Haha, not quite champagne and chocolate, but close.

I have already booked 3 weeks of travel in January as a olar 75. We will see if anything happens at the Sheraton Mountain vista hotel!

Last night was my 100th night. Got a bottle of champagne and a bag of chocolates from mr. Pascal the gm at the sheraton pretoria for achieving my 100th, even though officially im still plt75.

So that's a good start hopefully surprises like this would continue when it becomes official after my stay here posts

And a duty manager also mentioned that the property usually gets an alert if a plt100 makes a reservation. So they can tell the different levels of plat. FWIW, got upgraded to deluxe suite day after my booking on the 1st 6 nights, then diplomatic suite on the last 5 nights (different rez).

So far so good!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:26 pm

While I don't do the party scene, I totally agree with you about benefits getting less and less the more you stay at a place.

I'd go further and say that looking at the recent email SPG "promotion", it's obvious that even at the macro level the little extras start to disappear, once they know they have you hooked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.