Wiki Posts
Search

Award and C+P availability questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Award and C+P availability questions

I'm looking into several properties for NYE. I noticed that checking in on the 30th requires a 4 night stay (both paid and if using points), but checking in the 29th does not. Unfortunately I will not be able to check in on the 29th. Any way around this? And, as the date approaches, should I expect a night minimum to be removed?

Additionally, though less importantly, although point redemption is available, cash + points is not. I've run into this before but never really thought about it. If one is available, shouldn't the other also be available? What determines availability of one vs the other? For Hyatt, C+P is based on the discretion of the individual property (or so I'm told). Is Starwood the same in this respect?

I searched for a similar thread but couldn't find one. That said, I'm sure there probably is a thread out there answering my question, so if a 'thread suggester' (cough, cough Ken cough, cough) knows of one, please feel free
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dtwdoc
For Hyatt, C+P is based on the discretion of the individual property (or so I'm told). Is Starwood the same in this respect?
Same for SPG, property dependent if/when they want to offer it.

As for minimum stay requirements I wouldn't count on a property removing that requirement. So in other words, I would book what you feel comfortable with and not gamble on a change.

(Additionally, not knowing the location of the property doesn't help either --- it could be a popular NYE spot and therefore no need to waive their requirements)
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
FWIW, often C+P availability is tighter than award availability.

I'd think that availability for both will get tighter as time gets closer, so I agree with neo that you should book whatever looks best now. Most C+P and award reservations can be canceled without penalty up until shortly before arrival (though make sure of this in the terms and conditions for any booking), so you could book now and then modify later if you get lucky if better openings materialize.

Having said that, one other thing you could try is to call the Plat desk, for it to in turn contact the hotel to see if it will open up space for the dates you want. That approach occasionally works, though might be tougher for the period around New Year's Eve than for other times of year.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:31 pm

C+P is capacity controlled for both Hyatt and SPG (similar to airline award seats). With points, per both programs, as long as a "standard" room is available, you can get it with points.

Of course, what constitutes a "standard" room is up for debate...
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by pillow25
C+P is capacity controlled for both Hyatt and SPG (similar to airline award seats). With points, per both programs, as long as a "standard" room is available, you can get it with points.
Ah, ok, didn't know that SPG also left it up to the hotel. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.