Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok traced to be source of Sony Pictures leak

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Bangkok traced to be source of Sony Pictures leak

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Exclamation St. Regis Bangkok traced to be source of Sony Pictures leak

According to Bloomberg, the source of the huge Sony Pictures leak has been traced to a five-star hotel in Thailand's capital. Leaching off of the St. Regis hotel's high-speed wi-fi, the hackers, currently believed the work of the North Korea-linked group DarkSeoul, carried out their devastating and embarrassing attack, leaking 47,000 SSNs and other sensitive information.

The source, who remains unnamed in Bloomberg's report, says it's currently unknown if the hack was carried in a guest room or in a public area. Cybersecurity experts traced the "digital footprints" of the hackers to this location though these same experts are not ruling out the possibility that the leak was carried out remotely and only taking advantage of the hotel's open network. Starwood Hotels & Resorts owns and operates the specific hotel that was used in the attack but has yet to issue any official statement regarding these claims.

Of course, the exact reasons why the attack occurred remains unclear, but it seems to be more a personal grudge than an attempt to make money, according to Bloomberg. Earlier today, North Korea denied allegations that they were involved but called the cyberattack a "righteous deed." If the these attacks are deemed state-sponsored, it would definitely be a page turner in the big book of cyber warfare.

Original Article: http://gizmodo.com/report-sony-leak-...tel-1667962977
Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...hollywood.html

I can't believe the hack could originate from a hotel wifi, I always hated hotel internet speed, it's like trip to the stoneage

Last edited by miloworld; Dec 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by miloworld
...Starwood Hotels & Resorts owns and operates the specific hotel that was used in the attack but has yet to issue any official statement regarding these claims.
Starwood does not own the St. Regis Bangkok, or at least not entirely. It is a Minor property.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 8, 2014 at 6:46 am
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just think of the ads:

The Internet service favoured by professionals!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Wonder if they we Plats with complimentary access?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
This story is a little personal for me as I checked into the St Regis about 20 minutes before the Sony download. I was probably online close to the time it happened.

Tho odd thing was during my time at the St Regis the performance of my Macbook Air began to degrade and finally completely stopped working five days later.

I am in Bali now and the best technician I can find says it is a hardware issue which would make it totally unrelated to the St Regis hack/download which I would like to think is true. I have been busy changing passwords just in case.

I don't know how these things work from a hackers standpoint. It could have been a guest but why check in with a passport unless you are really confident you won't be caught. The St Regis itself does not have a traditional lobby...more like lounges on the first floor. I suspect someone would be noticed sitting there at that time of night.

What I did notice is that my phone was still showing connected to the St Regis as far away at the BTS station [elevated transit system] which has to be a 200 feet from the hotel. Perhaps they sat outside the hotel and used the system.

Whatever happened I find myself newly concerned about internet security on hotel systems. Perhaps it is a good wakeup call for us as guests and Starwood itself.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It's good to know they have excellent wifi.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
They must have awesome wifi, if CNN is correct in stating that over 100TB of data was stolen. Isn't that about a full week straight of 20Mbps download?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
My guess would be hacker group wasn't staying there and remotely accessed the network from outside, not sure how accurate when they mention Wifi though. Most tech savvy people won't be able to stand the slow guest internet, let alone seed 35gb of data.

Which made me think they did it from the back-end internet, which is unthrottled and could be a 1Gbps fiber connection. They could have tapped in easily if the hotel utilizes IPTV, IP Phone and sometimes business center computers.

Does this SR have the remote control tablet thing, it might be possible they're broadcasting a high speed in-house network and that's why the hackers chose this SR as their origin.

Last edited by miloworld; Dec 10, 2014 at 12:54 am
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This sounds like a reasonably sophisticated hack and so it seems unlikely to me that they carried a 100TB capacity hard drive up to the wifi network and just downloaded. You'd instead normally use the St Regis wifi just to access the Internet from where you'd execute commands remotely for data from Sony Pictures to go to a server setup somewhere on a high bandwidth line.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by naples_flyer
.......... but why check in with a passport unless you are really confident you won't be caught. ........
Rule # 1 at Espionage School : Get yourself a fake passport.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by clublounger
Rule # 1 at Espionage School : Get yourself a fake passport.
Lol!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.