Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

2015 SPG category & redemption rate changes ? [Speculative discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Has anyone heard when SPG will be making its category changes(hotels going up or down in category)? It's usually in February..but was wondering if anyone had heard anything concrete?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by torontotravel
Has anyone heard when SPG will be making its category changes(hotels going up or down in category)? It's usually in February..but was wondering if anyone had heard anything concrete?
Welcome.

It's November, so to answer your question, no.

When the changes are announced, one of the Lurkers will post that information.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

In the past I've noticed that sometimes people get information in advance..but thanks for the info. And thanks for the welcome to the site.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
In the past I've noticed that sometimes people get information in advance..but thanks for the info. And thanks for the welcome to the site.
I think that is just speculation, unless you have a specific post you can refer to. Unless the Lurkers post or an email comes from Starwood/SPG, I would take any other discussion with a grain of salt.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
The lurkers usually announce it in advance. I believe it is 2 weeks in advance before the category officially changes.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Announcement Date / Effective Date

The announcement dates and effective dates for category changes for the past three years:

2014 - Announced February 20 / Effective March 4
2013 - Announced February 20 / Effective March 5
2012 - Announced February 16 / Effective March 1
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:06 am
Original Poster

thanks for the info.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
New redemption rates for 2015??

I've been looking for new redemption rate for 2015, but was unsuccesfull. Unless I missed the thread somehow. If so, please post the link. If not, when are we gonna read about it? Starwood Lurkers??
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Super Larry
I've been looking for new redemption rate for 2015, but was unsuccesfull. Unless I missed the thread somehow. If so, please post the link. If not, when are we gonna read about it? Starwood Lurkers??
No announcement yet.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Super Larry
I've been looking for new redemption rate for 2015, but was unsuccesfull. Unless I missed the thread somehow. If so, please post the link. If not, when are we gonna read about it?
You probably haven't found anything because over the past years SPG's annual redemption rate review has been done by changing a hotels award category level, rather than changing the redemption rates themselves.

We have already, of course, a speculation thread for 2015 for this : post #6 lists the dates the changes have been announced each year. HTH.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:24 am

As a matter of speculation, I am betting that the two St. Regis properties in Abu Dhabi will go up to Cat. 6 from their current Cat. 5 status.

Their rates have been climbing steadily.

Also hoping for W Paris to come down a step...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by jaejaez
As a matter of speculation, I am betting that the two St. Regis properties in Abu Dhabi will go up to Cat. 6 from their current Cat. 5 status.

Their rates have been climbing steadily.

Also hoping for W Paris to come down a step...
I hope San Seb Maria Christina will go back to 5 . 6 is an overkill there
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
European properties SHOULD go down based on the value of the Euro. However, the criteria stated has also changed year to year from past performance to estimated future performance. So um....my guess is meaningless.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BigBopper
European properties SHOULD go down based on the value of the Euro. However, the criteria stated has also changed year to year from past performance to estimated future performance. So um....my guess is meaningless.
Actually the criteria to determine a property's category has always been projected revenue for the coming year. Any older FT posts claiming it is based on past performance were based on false assumptions that have since been corrected and clarified.

But it will be very interesting to see if/where European properties drop, assuming category changes are announced next month. At this time last year, the dollar was at 1.35 to the Euro. Today it is at 1.12, and seemingly getting closer to par every day. Hotel prices have obviously been climbing in Europe the last several years, but I am curious if that is enough to counterbalance the 20% drop in the Euro over the last 12 months.

Of the category 7's that could drop, I would think the W Paris, St. Regis Rome, Schloss Fuschl and Hotel Danieli could all see changes back down to 6. I'm guessing most of the Greek properties that moved up the last two years could also go back down (the ones that are still around anyways).
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:53 am

Shouldn't we be hearing soon? Any word?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.