Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Ask About Suite Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Before I check into a hotel I usually see if I can book a suite online. Many times I can but do not receive an upgrade to a suite but instead a club room or some other room. I never really say anything, but often wonder - is it worth asking? At a recent stay they moved me to a suite after my upgrade had the wrong number of beds.

It seems like in the US I almost never get suites even when I stay at seemingly unpopular hotels on weekends.

I'm an SPG Platinum so I am entitled to a standard suite upgrade pending availability.

Also, if I book a suite, can I theoretically get upgraded to a non-standard, better suite? I've only booked a suite twice (since I don't really care enough to pay for them) but I did get upgraded once.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's very benign to ask "Have you been able to upgrade me to a suite tonight?" They answer yes or no, and if they failed it look, it prompts them to do so.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by catbox9
Also, if I book a suite, can I theoretically get upgraded to a non-standard, better suite? I've only booked a suite twice (since I don't really care enough to pay for them) but I did get upgraded once.
Theoretically yes, but not because of a benefit defined in the program
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Before I check into a hotel I usually see if I can book a suite online. Many times I can but do not receive an upgrade to a suite but instead a club room or some other room. I never really say anything, but often wonder - is it worth asking? At a recent stay they moved me to a suite after my upgrade had the wrong number of beds.

It seems like in the US I almost never get suites even when I stay at seemingly unpopular hotels on weekends.

I'm an SPG Platinum so I am entitled to a standard suite upgrade pending availability.

Absolutely. Always ask nicely, and you may be nicely surprised. Ended up getting a WOW suite at the W Boston that way.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:16 am

Definitely. If I arrive at checkin and they have not upgraded me to a suite, I always ask them whether any suites are available.

In the cases where I have booked a suite as an SPG Plat, in the past I have been upgraded to the suite of the next level up.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Always - but only if I've looked up and found space on the app
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Same - if I can book a suite online as I'm entering the property, I ask why I can't be upgraded to that suite.

Unfortunately, I've yet to receive an answer other than "that must be wrong". With the price differences, I haven't bothered stopping the check-in, canceling my reservation, and booking the suite to see what happened. It's typically after 6p cancellation time.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:06 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I usually get suite upgrades, anyway.

In the rare instances where I have not been upgraded to a suite, I always check the SPG app to confirm a standard suite isn't available. In one instance in the past year, a standard suite was available as per the SPG app, but I was not upgraded to that suite--and so I asked to speak to the front desk manager, who promptly upgraded me to the next higher suite level as an apology for the oversight.

If you don't ask and push to get what you are entitled to receive as an SPG Plat, you won't always get what you deserve. I would always ask.

I'm SPG Plat 75, nearing 100, so I don't know if that has helped my greater suite upgrade rate experience. Or the responsiveness in that one incident where I wasn't properly upgraded to a suite.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 29, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

I usually do not ask and guess consequently my suite upgrades are pretty rare. On most business stays, when traveling alone, I simply don't care. But often suites are available for booking, so the conclusion is if you don't push (which i don't like to do) you may not get what you're entitled to.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I honestly don't care that much....

...unless I am on vacation then I ask every time.
That being said I'm about 50/50 for getting them....so not bad for not asking.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:18 pm

I'm unusual, though not alone: I really don't like suites. (If you want to understand my psychology, PM me. )

I recently got assigned to real monster - it must have been 1500 square feet. I decided to leave that one for someone else who would enjoy/appreciate. I'm much happier in 269sf.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:20 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I'm unusual, though not alone: I really don't like suites. (If you want to understand my psychology, PM me. )

I recently got assigned to real monster - it must have been 1500 square feet. I decided to leave that one for someone else who would enjoy/appreciate. I'm much happier in 269sf.
Hilarious--but not as shocking as you might think it would be. But I do hope to learn your travel plans and that I stay in the same hotels!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Obligatory reference to SPG benefit T&Cs and the phrase 'Standard Suite'.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Obligatory reference to SPG benefit T&Cs and the phrase 'Standard Suite'.
you mean like in the original post?

Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Like others it depends on the purpose and length of travel. If traveling with someone else (almost always pleasure), then yes, I do ask if it isn't already offered. If for business (the minority of my stays), then I only inquire if its for more than a night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.