Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Beijing - Chang'an [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thomasito
Update: Hotel leaving Marriott 31st January 2019

SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Room
  • Late Check Out to 18:00pm - 1500
  • Room Upgrade to Spectacular - 1500
  • Room Upgrade to Cool Corner - 2500
  • Room Upgrade to Fantastic Suite - 12000
  • Room Upgrade to Marvelous Suite - 18000
Wheels
  • Airport Service One Way Pickup or Dropoff - BMW 5 - 10500
  • Limousine Rental 4h - BMW 5 - 14250
F&B
  • Buffet breakfast - 3000
  • Buffet lunch - 2250
  • Selection of Cocktail - 750
  • VCP Champagne - 12000
Other
  • Away Body Treatment (90 min massage) - 12000
  • Away Facial - 8000
  • Robe - 6000
  • Bath rug- 3000

Smoking Policy

As of June 1, 2015, smoking is no longer permitted within guest rooms and the rest of the hotel premises, in accordance with Beijing Tobacco Control Regulations. Smoking is allowed only at designated smoking areas outside the hotel building.
Print Wikipost

W Beijing - Chang'an [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I wanted to write this conversation here while it was still fresh in my mind.

I just called to Whatever/Whenever to check on the W Lounge menu before going downstairs later.

Me: "I would like to ask whether the W Lounge menu is drinks only, or has some snacks and other food to order."

W/W: "I do not know. Let me check with the Lounge. Actually, I just transfer you to the Lounge."

Me: "Ok".

[But, I got disconnected. A waiter from the W Lounge called back to my room.]

Waiter: "Ni hao".

Me: [in English, obviously]: "I would like to ask if the W Lounge menu is drinks only, or has some food to order."

Waiter: "Ya ya ya."

Me: "Drinks or both drinks and food?"

Me: "Drinks?"

Me: "No food?"

Me: "Yes food?"

Me: "You have Restaurant Manager?"

Waiter: "Ya ya ya. One moment." [Finally! He can speak other words!]

R/M: "Hello?" [European accent]

Me: "Can you speak English?"

R/M: "Yes, I can take your order."

Me: "No, can you speak English?"

R/M: "Yes."

Me: "I would like to ask if your Lounge menu has both drinks and snacks?"

R/M: "Yes, we have snacks. Let me read from the menu. For example, we have three small micro beef burgers as a snack."

Me: "Ok, I come down later. Thank you."

It got me thinking, though: it should either be a "small burger" or a "micro burger", but to use both "small" and "micro" in the description doesn't sound too promising to me. After the golf-ball lion's head I had yesterday night, I wonder how tiny these small micro burgers can be???

Probably not going to the Lounge tonight.
Sounds like many a Chinese hotel.

Years ago in Ningbo I asked for a wake up call for 6 AM and twenty minutes later room service arrived with 3 cheese and one tuna sandwich which they insisted I had ordered on the phone. How wake up call became 4 sandwiches still to this day escapes me- at first I thought they simply had the wrong room number- but no, they were adamant that is what I had asked for on the phone. It was long before there were any Western chains in Ningbo.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:12 am

W Lounge

Right after I made that call to W Lounge, my friend called me up and said that his plans had unexpected changed for the night, and he was free. He picked me up for a quick dinner, and we returned to the hotel for a drink at the W Lounge.

The menu was indeed extensive, but when I went to order a white wine, the NZ Marlborough that I chose was not available. So was the next white wine I chose. And, the one after that. In fact, of the four whites that they had on the menu, only one was available. And, this was as Thursday night at 10:45pm! Out of stock???

Similar to the Lounges at some other W Hotels, this one in Beijing also had the waitresses or hostesses in the short miniskirts. There were three of them taking drink orders and another one (the DJ) controlling the music. No live music tonight. What I have NEVER seen before, though, was that at 11:00pm sharp, the spotlights went on above the central corridor of the Lounge (the tables are on both sides of this corridor), and the waitresses started strutting up and down the path like catwalk models. First each by themselves, and then two at a time. Apparently, this happens several times throughout the evening.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right after I made that call to W Lounge, my friend called me up and said that his plans had unexpected changed for the night, and he was free. He picked me up for a quick dinner, and we returned to the hotel for a drink at the W Lounge.

The menu was indeed extensive, but when I went to order a white wine, the NZ Marlborough that I chose was not available. So was the next white wine I chose. And, the one after that. In fact, of the four whites that they had on the menu, only one was available. And, this was as Thursday night at 10:45pm! Out of stock???

Similar to the Lounges at some other W Hotels, this one in Beijing also had the waitresses or hostesses in the short miniskirts. There were three of them taking drink orders and another one (the DJ) controlling the music. No live music tonight. What I have NEVER seen before, though, was that at 11:00pm sharp, the spotlights went on above the central corridor of the Lounge (the tables are on both sides of this corridor), and the waitresses started strutting up and down the path like catwalk models. First each by themselves, and then two at a time. Apparently, this happens several times throughout the evening.
Sounds absolutely horrific. You are a trooper for sticking it out. I would have headed to Chaoyang and a decent glass of wine after 2 minutes. I actually feel for you.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Sounds like you're having a great time, Fly me to the moon! Out of 18 posts in this thread, you have now posted 6 - all of them pretty long. It must be a new record
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
Sounds like you're having a great time, Fly me to the moon! Out of 18 posts in this thread, you have now posted 6 - all of them pretty long. It must be a new record
I'm trying to hit my 1,000th post, but I don't want to do it with one-liners.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:17 pm

W Beijing - Chang'an, China [Master Thread]

Data points for platinum members. Currently it's breakfast plus 500 star points. Best upgrade is corner room pending availability. Although SNA may show fantastic suite but there isn't any suites ready at the moment.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by angelboi2001
Data points for platinum members. Currently it's breakfast plus 500 star points.
Thanks, updated the Platinum breakfast thread.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:27 am

Data points for platinum members. Currently it's breakfast plus 500 star points. Best upgrade is corner room pending availability. Although SNA may show fantastic suite but there isn't any suites ready at the moment.
I certainly didn't get free Platinum breakfast in addition to the 500 StarPoints.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:29 am

I certainly didn't get free Platinum breakfast in addition to the 500 StarPoints.
Wait, you're still there right? Let's wait a few days after checkout when the points post.

Since you had a room only rate, you chose breakfast as your platinum amenity? How did the conversation go regarding breakfast and the points?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Wait, you're still there right? Let's wait a few days after checkout when the points post.

Since you had a room only rate, you chose breakfast as your platinum amenity? How did the conversation go regarding breakfast and the points?
Nope, in St. Regis Chengdu now.

I chose 500 Points for the amenity, and got charged for breakfast. I see that on my folio.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:26 pm

I wrote to the W Insider to inquire on the choices for Platinum amenities, and she wrote back as:

Thank you for your email!

Regarding to your require, SPG member benefits which you can enjoy in W Beijing is same as Starwood Hotels.
You can chose one welcome gift upon arrival as below:

1. Bonus Starpoints:500 Starpoints
2. Continental breakfast
3. Local amenity.

So, as I had experienced during my stay, looks like you can choose either 500 StarPoints or the breakfast, but not both.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Got this nice complementary dessert box during stay https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uxjepzsvc...57.12.jpg?dl=0 not sure if it's a Christmas thing
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Plat upgrades at W PEK ?

Any recent update on the upgrade chances at the W PEK ?

Is it Worth spending a few SNA's or are they still in their "opening phase" and generous with upgrades ?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:57 pm

Anyone with further updates on this W? Reviews of TripAdvisor have been especially poor the past month or two. Would be great to hear a FlyerTalker's recent perspective.

I will be checking in on Sunday night (2015-03-29).

Last edited by zzap; Mar 23, 2015 at 10:17 pm
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by zzap
Anyone with further updates on this W? Reviews of TripAdvisor have been especially poor the past month or two. Would be great to hear a FlyerTalker's recent perspective.

I will be checking in on Sunday night (2015-03-29).
How was your experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.