Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hotel chain embraces prostitution...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I really must be naive. I have stayed in SPG and other hotels all over including quite a few times in Latin America. As far as I am aware I have never seen activity of this nature. Now because I speak with a strong English accent I have had many women say to me in bars etc" Gee I love your accent" but I am sure they were just being friendly.

This year in the LVH in Las Vegas was the first time I was approached and asked "Hey honey are you looking for a good time?"

On reflection about 10 years ago in Dallas was stopping at a cheaper hotel and could swear the girl may have been a hooker but she never asked me about any activity.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by cleanfloor
It's always been an open secret that half the bar at any W is on the clock.
Originally Posted by sethb
It is tax-deductible as a business expense.
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
So half the bar is filled with lawyers?!
ROTFLOL
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
When I'm in Berlin I stay at the same hotel and after 4 years, probably a combined 60-70 nights I've had about 40 models meet me in the lobby or come up to my room as it's easier to chat there, change into something to go out and shoot in.
JVPhoto, I think you are one some FT'ers new best-friend list.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by kamel123
And this comment on what she was wearing - incredibly funny! So any woman in a short skirt is a prostitute? This attitude is plain disgusting. How would you feel if this happened to your wife?
Jeez lighten up! I was in no way saying that women in short skirts are working women! It was a joke specifically about this lawsuit and not a general assumption.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I work with a woman who worked as a bartender when she was in grad school at a hotel that pretty actively discouraged solicitation. And when she suspected a woman was a prostitute trolling for a customer, instead of calling security immediately she would play a little game with the men at the bar.

Whoever could keep up a conversation with the woman in question the longest would get their tab comped. So the said hooker would approach two or three or more men and get strung along into lengthy conversations that went absolutely nowhere. And sometimes the men, free drinks or not would either get so bored they broke it off or would break down laughing. Meanwhile security came to love it because their people could circulate and get a good eye-level view of the suspects.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:31 pm
Suspended

I suggest a wiki

I, for one, would very much appreciate a wiki with all the locations that people have experienced a hooker haven and I will dillegently do a full press investigation into these matters. Just need to go to drugstore.com for a pallet of Magnums.
Next I suggest detailed reports from flyertalkers, kind of like ter but with an spg slant- upgrade successes and failures for platinum members with detalis of the upgrades (greek...), successes with a YOUR24...
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Error 601
I work with a woman who worked as a bartender when she was in grad school at a hotel that pretty actively discouraged solicitation. And when she suspected a woman was a prostitute trolling for a customer, instead of calling security immediately she would play a little game with the men at the bar.

Whoever could keep up a conversation with the woman in question the longest would get their tab comped. So the said hooker would approach two or three or more men and get strung along into lengthy conversations that went absolutely nowhere. And sometimes the men, free drinks or not would either get so bored they broke it off or would break down laughing. Meanwhile security came to love it because their people could circulate and get a good eye-level view of the suspects.
Brilliant! I'd love to see that.

Really; I'd ask my girlfriend to dress suspiciously, and then she could come over and chat with me for a couple of hours while we drink free.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by notahappycamper
I, for one, would very much appreciate a wiki with all the locations that people have experienced a hooker haven and I will dillegently do a full press investigation into these matters. Just need to go to drugstore.com for a pallet of Magnums.
Next I suggest detailed reports from flyertalkers, kind of like ter but with an spg slant- upgrade successes and failures for platinum members with detalis of the upgrades (greek...), successes with a YOUR24...
Lisboa Hotel in Macau. You can visit their racetrack.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Aeroplan
The article says the hookers who attacked the lady were drunk. You would think the lawsuit would really go after the chain because they allow intoxicated people to hang around....except that the threat of embarrassing the chain with prostitution allegations is a better way to wring a good settlement out of them.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So is this one of the brand standards Starwood doesn't want to publish?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
In China, there are numerous Starwood properties with a "KTV" attached to the main hotel. So when the gals go with the patrons upstairs they can access the elevator on the second or third floor and bypass the lobby totally. Shady Shady Shady
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
Brilliant! I'd love to see that.

Really; I'd ask my girlfriend to dress suspiciously, and then she could come over and chat with me for a couple of hours while we drink free.
Or she may find a big spender to leave with!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Jeez lighten up! I was in no way saying that women in short skirts are working women! It was a joke specifically about this lawsuit and not a general assumption.
Yes.

I am not trying to make a general point against prostitution - this wouldn't belong into this forum anyway.

However, I would wish that Starwood hotels (and hotels in general) provide an environment where women need not worry what they wear for fear of being confused with prostitutes. The stories in this thread of someone's wife, sister etc. being held up by security illustrate this.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Personally I enjoyed the article for the colorful use of alliteration:
"provocative pictures of prostitutes"
"steady stream of strumpets"
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by lazard
Guess that couple can cross off pretty much every hotel in Southeast Asia.
We can only hope they one day stay at the Shangri-la in Jakarta and wander into BATS for a quiet night cap after dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.