Wiki Posts
Search

Leisure Travelers: How Loyal Are You?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Leisure Travelers: How Loyal Are You?

I've been thinking about this question for the better part of a year.

Let me start by saying: it seems that the large majority of FT members that religiously visit this forum (SPG) are business travelers.

I'm wondering, for those that travel for leisure, how loyal are you to SPG?

When I first started out, I guess about a year ago, I was SPG obsessed. The reason being: they have the best aspirational properties of any chain.

Presently, instead of being loyalty obsessed, I now look at two things: quality vs. price. That's it.

Part of my reasoning may have to do with the fact I'll never be anything higher than SPG Gold, I'm assuming. The other part of my reasoning has to do with having my eyes forced open into the reality of quality hotel stays [once I became Virtuoso affiliated]: there are just too many fabulous hotels to stick to one chain.

So, leisure travelers, do you stick to SPG properties? If so, why?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Strictly leisure traveler, 100% out of my own pocket.

Very loyal to SPG unless there is no SPG available in that town, or it's really prohibitively expensive (the recent Gamecock/Aggie game comes to mind, I had a Hampton Inn reservation as it was $200 less a night than the comparative SPG property).

The reason? Pretty consistent upgrades, as a platinum, and excellent treatment. :-:
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:33 am

100% leisure traveller, and my own coin.

Ridiculously loyal to SPG. To the extent that travel destinations have to some extent been dictated by the SPG presence in that area.

And like Karenkay, because of consistently good treatment, including upgrades and other things.

Till date, I have yet to run out of travel destinations with an SPG presence so they have my business. And yes, I've seen some of the non-SPG choices and while some are truly spectacular, those generally are so expensive that even if I were not loyal to SPG, I wouldn't pay for them.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Interesting.

So, would y'all rather stay at a 4* SPG over a 5* non-SPG? Let's say the pricing is within +/- $75USD of each other.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Smile

Originally Posted by karenkay

Very loyal to SPG unless there is no SPG available in that town.

The reason? Pretty consistent upgrades, as a platinum, and excellent treatment. :-:
+1
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
100% leisure traveller, and my own coin.

And like Karenkay, because of consistently good treatment, including upgrades and other things.
+1
and in my travel plan SPG are No.1 choice many location as i want, reasonable price.
Another reason is customer service and BRG program,when i try another chain IHG/Hyatt are very poor service nearly scam program that is not fair.
Online chat is another best thing of SPG another chain are not comparable.^
SPG program are also credit stay/night up to 3 rooms that is the another best thing that another chain didn't have
Because i have travel with my family another chain credit for only 1 stay is not fair for me.
IHG ==> elite didn't get anything much
Hyatt ==> lack of properties
Accor ==> inconsistent of elite benefits,point is not really value as much as they promote
Hilton ==> gold is good
Marriott ==> didn't try
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nongsom
IHG ==> elite didn't get anything much
Hyatt ==> lack of properties
Accor ==> inconsistent of elite benefits,point is not really value as much as they promote
Hilton ==> gold is good
Marriott ==> didn't try
This is kind of my point....

Why stick with any of the 'big guns' - as I think you could make a strong argument all these chains are geared towards business travelers.

Why not just look at the best option for the price in the area?

What if you could buy your benefits instead of using status as your trump card + hoping for the best?

For example:

Why not stay at the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, easily one of the most famous hotels in the world, which is $70 USD less than the St. Regis on any given date?

Or the Park Hyatt Siem Riep over the Le Meridien (usually priced within $50 USD of each other).

Ditto Four Seasons Chiang Mai.

Or the Mandarin ATL, which is normally 200 USD less than the St. Regis ATL? (and is also the #1 rated hotel in Metro ATL)

The list goes on...
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:42 am

At this point in my travelling life, I've decided to participate in loyalty schemes. After trying HH and SPG concurrently, I've realised that to really receive significant benefits, benefits that make continuing participation worthwhile, one must be of a certain tier, preferably as high a tier as is allowed. I don't travel enough to be able to maintain top tier elite status with two programmes, let alone 3. So I have chosen to concentrate on SPG. A very important factor is that despite my monicker, I frequently travel with my family, and getting credit for more than 1 room is a definite plus.

I agree that there are many hotels that at first glance would give better value, but to a large extent top tier benefits at SPG offset those. In a way, not having to search for the "best" hotel at a destination is also a plus; SPG is a familiar face, and as I said, thus far I haven't run out of destinations to go with an decent SPG presence. Little things like the BRG programme help mitigate higher costs.

At some point I may find that the loyalty game no longer holds any attraction for me and I will go back to finding the #1 hotel on TA, the best boutique hotels, and even campervans. But at present I am well-satisfied with SPG. Here's looking forward to LT Plat :P
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pricesquire
For example:

Why not stay at the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, easily one of the most famous hotels in the world, which is $70 USD less than the St. Regis on any given date?

Or the Park Hyatt Siem Riep over the Le Meridien (usually priced within $50 USD of each other).

Ditto Four Seasons Chiang Mai.

Or the Mandarin ATL, which is normally 200 USD less than the St. Regis ATL? (and is also the #1 rated hotel in Metro ATL)

The list goes on...
Because
Maybe I need or want the room until 4pm without paying more. Sometimes even until 6pm.
Maybe I want to not pay a usurious internet rate
Maybe I want the chance of a nice upgraded room/suite
Maybe I want to not have to pay for breakfast or go elsewhere for breakfast as to not pay a usurious hotel breakfast rate
Maybe I want to take a vacation with my hotel points and have my hotel bill be $0 instead of $3000.

The list goes on ...
And yes, I'm 90% or so leisure.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Similar to some of the guys here, I'm strictly a leisure traveler out of my own pocket (no chance for business travel in my current company).

I feel SPG is pretty balanced compared to other programs in terms of loyalty benefits and hotel footprint. I'm still single (though am currently looking) so I guess traveling is something I can do while I still can.

I also travel to destinations with some SPG presence. However, cheap air tickets and cheap to moderate hotel costs are still the deciding factor to where I go for trips and to pass my time.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by karenkay

Very loyal to SPG unless there is no SPG available in that town
Same here, though that will change once I drop to Gold in February. It's all about the status.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Why not just look at the best option for the price in the area?
Based on the examples you've given, price is obviously of no concern to you. When you have money to burn, your options are much greater.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Based on the examples you've given, price is obviously of no concern to you. When you have money to burn, your options are much greater.
Price is of a HUGE concern to me, considering I'm a 28 year old (Ex) student who just got done with school 2 weeks ago, don't have a regularly paying job, and who may have trouble making rent this month . Being a Virtuoso agent doesn't pay the bills, yet...

I picked hotels that are similar in price - I didn't pick them because I expect people to spring for those options just because they're there.

My point remains the same: if you're in a town with multiple legacy properties, i.e. Rome, Tokyo, Buenos Aires, etc, hell, even a San Jose Costa Rica, and you're there for leisure, why spring for the SPG property if it's not the best in town? [Caveat: there are other options in town there are priced in the same category]

I'm NOT bashing the SPG program - it's my go-to program, without a doubt. Especially in cities like Madrid (Westin Palace), NYC (a few options), AMS (Pulitzer), etc.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Because
Maybe I need or want the room until 4pm without paying more. Sometimes even until 6pm.
Maybe I want to not pay a usurious internet rate
Maybe I want the chance of a nice upgraded room/suite
Maybe I want to not have to pay for breakfast or go elsewhere for breakfast as to not pay a usurious hotel breakfast rate
Maybe I want to take a vacation with my hotel points and have my hotel bill be $0 instead of $3000.
Most of what you said is 100% compatible with non-SPG hotels. These aren't unique perks, at all.

Example: I just paid less for the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok then I would have paid for either the SGS or StR.

That rate included upgrade, free breakfast for 2, free internet, and a guaranteed late check out @ 4 pm with a request for 6.

Also, FWIW: Free internet is becoming the norm, and the fact you need status to get it is kind of ridiculous.

I just don't get being on a leisure trip and looking for an aloft, Sheraton, 4P, element, etc.

That said, I do get staying at a Westin when it's a top-5 in town (i.e., Madrid), or a Luxury Collection/StR, because they're usually awesome.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

The list goes on...
MO increased the rates substantially from the previous rates at The Mansion. I'm not entirely sure one could argue that service has caused the rise in cost. I also get a $200/night rate at the SR, which is fantastic for in-town stays. All other points are valid... we even thought about looking at AirBnb for apartments and condos.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jibi
MO increased the rates substantially from the previous rates at The Mansion. I'm not entirely sure one could argue that service has caused the rise in cost. I also get a $200/night rate at the SR, which is fantastic for in-town stays. All other points are valid... we even thought about looking at AirBnb for apartments and condos.
You're right in that rates have increased substantially, but they're still about $200 USD less per night than the St. Regis (unless you have a SET code. By American Bar Association SET gives me rates at the StR from $248/night, which I think is good).

I was just at the Mandarin doing a site inspection (Review here: http://www.isserbtravels.com/blog/20...iental-atlanta), and was checking rates for a client....they were under $300 for the Fri/Sat I was looking at. The St. Regis (I'm a complete sucker for any St. Regis) was over $500/night. The Mandarin was a steal in my opinion. Which was reason 324 I asked myself "why stick to one brand"...
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Also, for me, most of my travel is leisure and most of my loyalty is based on leisure travel. There are a lot of places I want to see around the world and the SPG properties in these locations are generally notable and memorable. I am SPG Platinum based on leisure travel (this year will be 100%) and typically based on cheap single night stays within a few blocks from my office in Downtown Atlanta. I agree with you on nearly every point you make, but I guess what keeps me with SPG is simple... convenience of knowing what you will get. I never worry about the quality of bed we'll be sleeping on and that is important to me.

I flirted with Hyatt (still a Diamond) and their quality is amazing... but their selection is best as a supplemental program for me, at best. SPG actually lets me select destinations. If there is a Hyatt there and I will receive some Diamond recognition, I may decide to book there over SPG simply to allow me to use SPG points on another destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.