Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

69 ytd nights w/ no travel plans, is it worth getting to 75?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

69 ytd nights w/ no travel plans, is it worth getting to 75?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I think that there are two major elements in this calculus. First is the OP's financial position. If stupidzbu is in a financial position such that paying for the additional nights to 75 is no big deal, then I'd say that s/he has nothing to lose, and some Starpoints to gain. The other factor is that right now, stupidzbu doesn't anticipate a lot of travel in the second half of 2015, a year away. Stuff happens. Funny thing about unanticipated changes/circumstances. They're unanticipated.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I am almost in the same position as the OP, but I agree with a poster earlier who said you need to also consider your LT PLT status. Over the years, I threw many nights at HHonors in this same scenario, and consequently when I reached my 10th year of PLT, I realized I was still close to 75 short of LT.

I am now PLT with 60+, but am going to continue to 75 this year, simply because I want LT PLT to be over and done with this year.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I think that there are two major elements in this calculus. First is the OP's financial position. If stupidzbu is in a financial position such that paying for the additional nights to 75 is no big deal, then I'd say that s/he has nothing to lose, and some Starpoints to gain. The other factor is that right now, stupidzbu doesn't anticipate a lot of travel in the second half of 2015, a year away. Stuff happens. Funny thing about unanticipated changes/circumstances. They're unanticipated.
Unanticipated circumstances are good and all, but it's fairly easy to put some bounds on things...and if the your24 isn't valued it takes an awful lot of starwood spend to generate enough value from the 4th point, unless you pull off some extremely efficient mattress running.

If paying for a few nights of hotels is no big issue, neither is directly buying a few points, or paying for those nights rather than redeeming next year. Unless OP is a relatively big spender (or the nights come almost free) it's easy enough to figure out what the odds of payoff are...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
its not worth it

hi,

if you do not have a lot travelplans for this and the next year, you should save the 300usd for the 6 nights, and have 3 dinners with your wife/girlfriend.

if you travel a lot, your24 mightbe useful, but lets face it, most of the hotels will let a platinum checkin early anyway (if the room is free) so for a not so frequent traveler its not such a important benefit.

the 4th point is nothing to talk about, so save the money.

on the other hand you might have a new assignment next year, and travel like hell... but still the your 24 is not worth it to spend 300-400usd for the missing stays.

dp
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by atxtraveler
I am almost in the same position as the OP, but I agree with a poster earlier who said you need to also consider your LT PLT status. Over the years, I threw many nights at HHonors in this same scenario, and consequently when I reached my 10th year of PLT, I realized I was still close to 75 short of LT.

I am now PLT with 60+, but am going to continue to 75 this year, simply because I want LT PLT to be over and done with this year.
I have been HH diamond and SPG Plat for many years. I dropped down to HH Gold this year because I couldn't maintain both in 2013. However, I'm at 50 SPG nights this year and 16 nights until LTP. I also have 23 stays with Hilton, so I decided I might go ahead and go for HH Diamond again and delay my LTP until 2015.

I'm with the camp that say no to going for Plat75.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
One more vote for not worth it. Quite frankly if you had one more night to go and you were out if pocket for the addl night you'd prolly come out ahead just slipping the check in desk a 20. Hate to be that way but getting good plat upgrades seems to be more than just nights.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's always good fun to try to do Best Rate Guarantee claims for those mattress runs. 2,000 points + plat benefit + points + whatever autumn bonus comes around...

But as mentioned, if you're not going to be travelling much, then 4 x no spend is just the same as 3 x no spend.

Perhaps lifetime Platinum is also a consideration?

With 69 nights, you presumably have a stack of points, so if you have a Cat 1 or 2 nearby, you could always burn some points on 3 weekend stays...
I actually got the 69 nights burning on C&P @ 3k/night + $35 this summer and my contract is up on Friday, so no more stays
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
4th point has marginal value but Your24 has been awesome for me.
can you elaborate on the benefit? From what I read, it is a crap shoot when it works
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Six nights to the next status bump with 4.5 months to do it? Surely there is somewhere you just want to go that has a Starwood. Not to mention if you are really closer at all the week of Christmas is usually really cheap. Might help for a soft landing.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm in a slightly similar situation. Based on current plans I expect to be at 97 nights at the end of the year. I expect my travel to drop off a bit in 2015 but should still easily qualify as Plat. Thoughts on whether it is worth some sort of mattress run to get over 100?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
... On spending 6 nights to get to 75, as stated above, the cost-benefit is really not there. You could probably find an $80 room at MHT or PVD airports but you'd be paying $480 to earn one extra point next year. Recovering that cost would take A TON of nights. IME, yiu do not get any extra perks or better service as a PLT75.

... On spending 3 nights to get to 100, I think this is worth it. I did this last year and have found that I do get better service and do get a few perks (wine in room, gift bags, more upgrades) being a PLT100. It does not happen every time but it does happen. Plus, my ambassador has helped me out in a pinch by getting me a special rate or finding a room one a hotel is sold out. However as noted on other threads, your mileage may vary.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
Originally Posted by fly_yag
I'm in a slightly similar situation. Based on current plans I expect to be at 97 nights at the end of the year. I expect my travel to drop off a bit in 2015 but should still easily qualify as Plat. Thoughts on whether it is worth some sort of mattress run to get over 100?
Absolutely. The treatment I receive as an "ambassador ' guest is remarkable. High percentage of suite upgrades. My Ambassador is extremely useful when I have special requests.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by derpelikan
hi,

if you do not have a lot travelplans for this and the next year, you should save the 300usd for the 6 nights, and have 3 dinners with your wife/girlfriend.

dp
Should you split up the dinners so the wife and gf don't see each? Or are open relationships much more common than I realize?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One dinner with wife, one dinner with girlfriend, and--assuming exactly one of each--you must allocate the third dinner. Duel, mud wrestling, or do you just flip a (fair or unfair) coin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.