Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do you use points?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No, it wouldn't. Maybe that's that it would cost you, but not what it would cost me (or most FTers I suspect). To me, the price of that ticket would the lowest upgradeable Coach fare.

Value and price are not the same. Using retail (or even discount) prices to determine value is pure rationalization. Why not use the Full F fare, which is probably more like $25,000? Or if you want, I could always charge you $100,000. That'll sure crank up your ratio!

Value is a personal determination. I'm with the group that isn't a slave to cents-per-point valuations. When it feels right, I use points. For an upconing trip to SF, the best rate I can find at the Palace is about $500/night. I'm using 35.5K points not because of some imaginary 3¢/point, but because I'd simply never pay that much for a hotel room.
So basically every night at the Palace you come close to throwing away a one-way business class flight to Asia on Cathay Pacific, in order to save $500. I personally can't think of a more value destructive trade. But maybe this is why I never have difficulty claiming CX awards and seeing the world. So on second thought, keep up the good work!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
So many numbers here - I never thought about redemption value, but I have noticed points go much further in Asia than they do in US.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
This thread is the first time I've heard of the "I don't redeem if the room rate is under $X" approach. If I'm understanding right, are you really saying that you won't redeem even if the ratio is highly favorable (e.g. say $150 room rate vs. 3000 points)? To each his/her own, but I'm struggling to see the "downside" in redeeming points in such a scenario. Anyone care to explain?

While I wasn't the one to state the $150 cut-off point, and my personal cut-off point is more like sub-$100, I'd have two other factors I use in deciding:
. current earning promotions (since points stays often don't count)
. upgrades - I personally feel that a cash rate increases the chances of an upgrade. This is speculation on my part, but was tacitly confirmed by management at one hotel

Of course anecdotes on FT seem to indicate excellent SPG recognition even with points stays, but that's my opinion anyway.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
I'd say I use a modified cent-per-point system, where the "c" is modified by the perceived value of the hotel.

On the high end, I'm more lenient on the ratio for properties that I can't otherwise afford -- London and Paris where it's $700-1000 for 25,000 or 30,000 is only in the $0.025-0.030 range, but worth it to me because I could not stay there otherwise.

In the midrange, I hardly ever use just points unless the hotel comes in "too high." For example, a few weekends ago I was staying in Chicago and due to local events, lots of hotels were at high occupancy and my preferred SPG option (Westin River north) was going for $420. Other acceptable options (Sheraton, Westin Mag Mile) were similarly priced. 12,000 points was an easy decision for the Westin River North for a few reasons: 3.5 cpp, that property is absolutely not worth $420/night, I need the SPG stay credit so I don't want to look at other options, I really don't want to stay in the Chicagoland suburbs and be burdened with a car because the purpose of my trip was to drink to oblivion in Wicker Park.

On the low end, I don't ever see a reason to use points. It's never more than a savings of $100 or so. I'd pretty much always just rather have the points that result from the stay+bonus+promo.

The exception is cash+points when the cpp is just too good to pass up, at any price point. It's few enough points not to worry about their loss too much.

In general, I'd rather save up points for aspirational stays at high-end properties, but keep a buffer of 80-100k points for "too expensive" stays. If I were more disciplined in the inspirational stay matter, one day I'd really like to have enough for a 4-night-5th-night-free at an exotic (expensive) location.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat75, MR Plat, UA Silver, GE/NEXUS
While nowhere near a good C+P redemption, I'm booking 2x Emirates F tix on the A380 BKK-HKG for 37.5k miles each (30k points each + xfer bonus). It beats paying ~$900 for the ticket to cross showering on a plane off the bucket list Since I booked LAX-HKG RT for <$700 as the long haul part of my trip, I couldn't convince myself to shell out that much cash for this segment so thought this was a good use of some of my stash.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:54 pm
tpr

Programs: AA, SPG
I use the points on my vacation and don't look too much at the cpp, but in general we stay in cat. 4/5 which with taxes and resort fees is usually $200+.

It feels good to spend a week with the family at the beach and pay nothing.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, LUV A-List, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond!
I routinely use 2,000 points for a $70 room at the Four Points Kansas City Airport when after taxes it comes to about $83. To me this seems like a great value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.