Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 13, 14, 7:53 am   #1

Programs: None
Poor SPG points value in Hawaii?

Looking at redeeming in Hawaii on the shoulder season. Even though both points and cash & points are generally available, for the dates I'm looking I can't see any redemption that gets anything more than 1c per point value. And if you look at the cash and points options the same properties are generally available through the opaque channels for less than the cash portion, so I wouldn't consider those under most circumstances. Is the general consensus that it's better to use your SPG points for airline award tickets to Hawaii than to redeem for hotels there?
escapefromphl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 14, 8:05 am   #2

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Silver
Neither is a great use of points. But, if you need to subsidize your Hawaii trip with points, go for it.
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 14, 8:48 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: D.R.E.A.D. Gold Card holder; UA 1K/1.004MM; SPG Pt-195; PCC Elite; MR LT Au
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
Is the general consensus that it's better to use your SPG points for airline award tickets to Hawaii than to redeem for hotels there?
I don't believe there is a general consensus on FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 13, 14, 9:14 am   #4

Programs: SPG Platinum P75, JetBlue Mosaic, US Silver, AA, HH
Smile

The rates are higher in high season, which means the point usage is a better value then. That is the apparent basis for the categories. Hawaii is in high demand
quinella66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 14, 10:11 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I can't speak for the other islands, but there isn't much of any sort of relationship in the quality v. value department on Oahu. The hotels aren't that great (a couple of them are pretty, but not luxury resorts). By the time you add the room rate and the extort fee, you've paid way too much. But that is HNL these days. Crowded.

I wouldn't use points for the airfare unless you're at some terrible peak season, because the redemption premium over regular domestic flights just isn't worth it, at least from the west.

Perhaps the OP needs to re-think the analysis process. I never think of "oh, I'm getting 1 per point, etc., value." I think "Do I want to spend $ now? Do I have a better need/use for my points coming up before I refill the bank?" (And similar)
Old Jul 22, 14, 9:15 am   #6

Programs: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I can't speak for the other islands, but there isn't much of any sort of relationship in the quality v. value department on Oahu. The hotels aren't that great (a couple of them are pretty, but not luxury resorts). By the time you add the room rate and the extort fee, you've paid way too much. But that is HNL these days. Crowded.

I wouldn't use points for the airfare unless you're at some terrible peak season, because the redemption premium over regular domestic flights just isn't worth it, at least from the west.

Perhaps the OP needs to re-think the analysis process. I never think of "oh, I'm getting 1 per point, etc., value." I think "Do I want to spend $ now? Do I have a better need/use for my points coming up before I refill the bank?" (And similar)
I don't have a need to burn the points. I'm just doing the maths. I'm primarily looking at Maui, I really like the Westin Ocean Resort Villas, stayed there in the past, and I think its a great property. Perhaps the points are worth more at other times of the year but this is an example of September for the base room type (DELUXE STUDIO VILLA WITH ISLAND VIEW):

Lowest Standard Rate: $296 Prepaid or $339 refundable.
Cash and points: 15,000 Starpoints + $275
Hotwire: $180

Which would you choose?
escapefromphl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 14, 9:56 am   #7

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Silver, CP Gold, IHG Gold
Personally, I lean towards using points when I'm able. One never knows when they'll be devalued, and not having to spend $ is always a plus. I have seen quite a few posters say you get poor value for SPG points in Hawaii, but even if that's true, I would use the points unless you will have a better opportunity to use them in the semi-near future. tls
thelostshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 14, 11:00 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

next trip to HNL I will be PLing my hotel Most of the chains are way out of line where it doesnt make sense to use either pts or pay what their site wants. 1 exception would be if I want another Island and a true resort re; 4 Season, Fairmont etc etc but for Waikiki Im simply gonna save my pts and $$ and go the PL route
Old Jul 22, 14, 12:33 pm   #9
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I totally agree with this... unless there was a discount on points going on I would never waste points in Hawaii. Priceline/Hotwire provides a much better option and value for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz View Post
next trip to HNL I will be PLing my hotel Most of the chains are way out of line where it doesnt make sense to use either pts or pay what their site wants. 1 exception would be if I want another Island and a true resort re; 4 Season, Fairmont etc etc but for Waikiki Im simply gonna save my pts and $$ and go the PL route
wharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 14, 1:32 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR LT PLT, SPG PLT100/LT PLT, HH GLD, US LT SLV, AA GLD, UA SLV, A3 BLU, EK SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis 1st
As noted above, hotel categories are typically based on the peak demand season. If they weren't, everyone would redeem cheaply in the peak, high demand, season, which isn't good for business. The result of that is that the category/cost in points is way too high in the off seasons.

Several of the categories have high/low rates to account for this, but there are way more than two sets of market rates through the year. So, in general, you end up with market-competitive redemption values part of the year and "expensive" values the remainder.

But "competitive" and "expensive" are only based on the notion of a "fair" value of a point, for which there is no consensus.
CPRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 14, 2:12 pm   #11

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We'll be in the Big Island and in Kauai in March, 5 nights each. Doing the "points for 4 nights gets you 5" deal in both places.

At what time would it make sense to contact the properties to find out about upgrading for points? And what kind of upgrade might we expect for how many points?

Thanks!
Out of my Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 14, 4:53 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, HH Dia, SPG Plat, IC RA, Amex Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
We'll be in the Big Island and in Kauai in March, 5 nights each. Doing the "points for 4 nights gets you 5" deal in both places.

At what time would it make sense to contact the properties to find out about upgrading for points? And what kind of upgrade might we expect for how many points?

Thanks!
The deal is normally double points gets you a standard suite.

You can speak to Plat concierge about this anytime.
Land-of-Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 14, 5:39 am   #13

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
The deal is normally double points gets you a standard suite.

You can speak to Plat concierge about this anytime.
I'm not Platinum, but I thought for X,000 points you could upgrade to better floor/better view/etc. by contacting the property
Out of my Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 14, 6:01 am   #14

Programs: Avios Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post

Lowest Standard Rate: $296 Prepaid or $339 refundable.
Cash and points: 15,000 Starpoints + $275
Hotwire: $180

Which would you choose?
Ultimately, what others might decide, based on their current points balance and ability to pay with cash, shouldn't sway you too much. It is about what *you* think works best for you.

Looking at your options above, remember that one of the advantages of a points booking is that it is effectively a cancellable booking. Some of your cash options will be non-refundable, are you sure you won't have to cancel, and if you do have to cancel, will it be for an insured reason (assuming you have travel insurance) ?

For a holding position, I might do the booking on points whilst I decide my final decision, at least that way you known you have a reservation. Who knows, closer to the time, that priceline/hotwire price might get cheaper (mid you, it might also get more expensive).
Old Jul 23, 14, 8:13 am   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat/million, AA 1 mil, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
I'm not Platinum, but I thought for X,000 points you could upgrade to better floor/better view/etc. by contacting the property
Such room category upgrades can be secured at time of booking, for a nomimal increase in points as you note, but not online - only by phone with SPG.

The OP has found an example of a fairly low redemption value. He shouldn't have to look too hard (I don't) to find C&P or standard redemptions offering better than $0.03/per point.
3Cforme is online now   Reply With Quote