Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What would you pay for a FX fee-free SPG AmEx?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

With a nod to Gary's article on the subject - how much, if any, would you all be willing to pay to get a FX-fee free AmEx?

To me I'd have no issue paying an extra $20-$30 for it (which would be in line with the CSP annual fee, and others that don't have the fee).

I COULD use the SPG AmEx on my business trips and get reimbursed for the 3% (I never use it on personal trips)...but it feels scummy on my expense report. Esp. since FX fee-free cards are plentiful these days. Thus, it stays in the drawer and the CSP gets all the spend.

Curious what others think (and I know there are threads on "why does the AmEx have the fee...this is more about willingness to pay).
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
With a nod to Gary's article on the subject - how much, if any, would you all be willing to pay to get a FX-fee free AmEx?

To me I'd have no issue paying an extra $20-$30 for it (which would be in line with the CSP annual fee, and others that don't have the fee).

I COULD use the SPG AmEx on my business trips and get reimbursed for the 3% (I never use it on personal trips)...but it feels scummy on my expense report. Esp. since FX fee-free cards are plentiful these days. Thus, it stays in the drawer and the CSP gets all the spend.

Curious what others think (and I know there are threads on "why does the AmEx have the fee...this is more about willingness to pay).
Personally, I'd only use a no-FX SPG Amex for my international Starwood stays, but most of those stays are booked on points, so it's really just the incidentals.

For other international spend (restaurants, transport, etc), I'd probably use my bonus category cards that also waive FX fees over a no-FX SPG Amex.

I suppose the benefit would be shopping abroad. Meh.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I wouldn't be happy if they raised the annual fee more than $10-15 and this was the only feature added. If they offered another card, a more premium card with an annual fee closer to $200 but with no-fx, maybe increased earning on bonus categories, etc, I'd be all over it.

Personally, I think the AF for this card is so reasonable I almost feel guilty calling to complain about it every year.

The FX fee is annoying, but I'm happy to use the Platinum or another card outside the US.

If they waived the FX fee for SPG properties, and didn't increase the AF, that would be a win!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I think it would be an awesome idea.

Now if only Singapore were introduced these cards...
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I wouldn't pay anything. I have several forex-free cards, most of which are fee-free already.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I wouldn't pay anything. I have several forex-free cards, most of which are fee-free already.
I do as well - but I want one from SPG
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I do as well - but I want one from SPG
That's fine, but when you start thread with "what do you think?" (or, to be specific "curious what others think"), it's somewhat poor form to criticize what people think.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
If they waived the FX fee for SPG properties, and didn't increase the AF, that would be a win!
^ Agree!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
For no FX fee and no other changes, I'd probably pay another $10 to $20, but probably not more than that. Get rid of the FX fee and add a worthwhile bonus category or two and I'll happily live with CSP pricing or a bit more. Make the bonus category dining and you probably chase the CSP out of my wallet.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Agreed, I'd pay a little more... $20 annually max.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's fine, but when you start thread with "what do you think?" (or, to be specific "curious what others think"), it's somewhat poor form to criticize what people think.
Struggling to understand how you could interpret my response as criticism...

Anyways - I do think we will see movement on this at some point.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Same. They'd quickly pick up my international SPG spend if they offered this. (I might even put some other international purchases on it, as normally, my SPG card gets left at home when I travel abroad.)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
I would pay what it is worth to me. ZERO. If they want to lose business to CSP, that is not a problem. AMEX is a secondary card, especially in Europe.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:02 pm

They'd have to give me double points on dining and travel. I got a CSP card this year because I knew I'd be traveling abroad AND most of my spend would be on dining and travel. If amex offered an spg card with no forex, double points on dining and travel for $95, I'd likely cancel my CSP. Until then, all of my dining and travel will go on my CSP. I will say though that I like the option of having more than one hotel chain available from a points perspective. Some of the hyatt properties have caught my eye recently.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
I would pay more...sure

For those of us who do travel internationally and want the double Starwood points one gets by charging on the Starwood Amex....I would pay extra. I would pay $250 per year extra for no FX fees.

Chase Sapphire Preferred has few partners that I like and United recently Doubled the mileage required for a first class HKG-JFK ticket on their Star Alliance partners. So now I won't transfer to them anymore.....For my travel patterns, the CSP is getting less and less popular unless they find other transfer partners......

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.