Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Falsely billed for room damage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Just because someone doesnt clean up after himself/herself, doesnt give another the right to vandalize the place....at OP's expense

It's quite clear that whoever did it, did it deliberately...i'm more surprised that the hotel didnt do a full investigation, but rather assumed that OP did it without even contacting OP of the charges and damages.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
wow. looks like the OP is getting screwed here. i would fight it.

my guess is that the OP didn't leave a tip.

or some maid or other hotel staff were in there and got into some kind of fight, guy took off, girl wrote on the mirror leaving a message for the and took off...guy came back and wanted nothing to do with the room.

as for handwriting analysis...this isn't CSI.

OP, you have your work cut out for you on this one. Looks like i'll be taking video before and after my hotel stays from now on.

As for this happening to me, i've had a few minor charges here and there before for drinks, minibar, etc. it was never more than $10 in error and i've always been too lazy to call and fight it so yeah, they got away with it.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
I've never left a tip. Are you really supposed to leave a tip for the maids? How do you even go about doing that?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by haibane
I've never left a tip. Are you really supposed to leave a tip for the maids? How do you even go about doing that?
Leave a couple of bucks on any counter/table. I'm not a huge tipper but I always leave a little something for the maid.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by Rock72
my guess is that the OP didn't leave a tip.
I would imagine most hotel guest don't leave tips.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:43 pm

Most strange.

Cheers,
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by haibane
I don't always do it; but when I do, I leave the cash in an envelope along with a note thanking housekeeping for making my stay comfortable. Then I leave the envelope on the pillow.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:31 pm

I use the little notepad they leave in the room and write "Thank you for the excellent service" or something similar on it and leave it on a nightstand -- preferably the one I am not using so my intent is clear. Then I lay a dollar bill partway across the note, so it is still readable.

I try to remember to do this each day. Better to do daily than all at the end since the staff might be different throughout the stay.

Every now and then the maid leaves me a nice note back; sometimes just a smiley face, but it is nice to know they appreciated the tip.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 466SHH
I try to remember to do this each day. Better to do daily than all at the end since the staff might be different throughout the stay.
Excellent point.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:00 am

Since most if not all hotels in the USA don't add service charges to the cost of a hotel stay, many people leave a small tip for housekeeping. (and let's not debate that in this thread )

The standard way to leave a tip for h/k is to leave it on the bed. The standard is $2 for 1 person per day, more for additional people, more on a sliding scale for leaving a messy room.

No note is required, but if you left the room a mess, typically you might leave a bigger tip. A much bigger tip for a much bigger mess. I guess if the tip is large enough a note would make it clear that it was meant as a tip.

-David
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
the standard way to leave a tip for h/k is to leave it on the bed. The standard is $2 for 1 person, more for additional people, more on a sliding scale for leaving a real mess.

No note is required, but if you left the room a mess, typically you might leave a bigger tip. A much bigger tip for a much bigger mess. I guess if the tip is large enough a note would make it clear that it was meant as a tip.

-David
Whose standard in which region ?

I am usually in Europe and Asia but do the occasional road-trip around South Africa and North America.

I never tipped housekeeping anywhere in the world during regular operations.

But I do also make sure the room is serviceable any time the "do not disturb" sign is off or the "please make up my room" sign is on.

By serviceable I mean that there is no undue mess.

No offensive material lying around.

No medical waste on the bathroom floor.

My belongings are in neat piles. Bags are closed or kept where they belong, no rubbish strewn around the room. They do not need to send in a team of people to waste time on trying to figure out what is rubbish and what isn't. I have walked past rooms being serviced with the door open and seen situations where I am sure it takes housekeeping half an hour to determine what is what. Total mess.

I have my used towels hung up where they belong or placed in the bath tub / shower floor for replacement and nothing in the room is broken or stained in any way. It takes them 15 mins to service my room during my stay. A bit longer I guess when they turn it around for check-out but the key thing is that nothing remarkable is happening. I pay for a clean room with my room rate...

I do tip a few bucks when I ask them for a bucket of ice or my +1 has done something stupid to the towels like accidentally left mascara on them (after a night of wine tasting she sometimes gets confused about whether she has done the cotton pad / make up remover routine yet or not).

I also leave tips around 10 USD if I have more rubbish than what is normal. Like once I had 3 medium sized boxes of stuff from Amazon shipped to Sheraton Parsippany so I tipped the guy who brought them to my room and I tipped the maid for discarding the three cardboard boxes and packaging materials I left behind.

But this is the first time I heard of a global standard of daily tips to housekeeping when I am staying in a full-service hotel.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by schmoove
I would imagine most hotel guest don't leave tips.
Most don't, at least not at this hotel according to the housekeeping staff there.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Whose standard in which region ?
You misquoted my post. Please re-read the first line. I specifically said "USA".

-David
Old Jun 14, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
All we know is that the OP did not dispose some wine and left it on the counter. Since the wine most likely comes from the minibar and its marked up prices I can hardly see that as a crime. The OP should pursue the matter forcefully.

And yes, it is good etiquette to leave the room reasonably neat and tidy during a stay and at the end of a stay. I certainly do that. This has nothing to do with the issue being discussed.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You misquoted my post. Please re-read the first line. I specifically said "USA".

-David
Indeed. Ooops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.