Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Falsely billed for room damage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
This would not have happened if you paid cash
you'd have to leave a cash deposit and that would've been held in this case. at least that was the protocol when I worked at the hyatt 10 years ago.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by rakers
you'd have to leave a cash deposit and that would've been held in this case. at least that was the protocol when I worked at the hyatt 10 years ago.
At least in that case there would have been an immediate room inspecion before the return of the cash deposit.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Deleted.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 15, 2014 at 11:24 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheBroad
I will happily drink a glass of anything that is not Yunnan Red, Enduring Pulchritude, or Yellow Tail sold for $20+. Decent wine options in Kunming are pretty limited!
Not Great Wall Red, although some of the wines from Grace Vineyards are pretty decent.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: HH Dia, UA S, US Plat, *A G, Delta Plat, SPG G
Interesting story - where do we go

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Interesting story.

I'm going to suggest not enough information there to decide one way or another, based on what's been provided.

Of course, a DNA analysis on all the glasses would clear up the CSI route on who was actually in the room.
1. Based on what has been offered I cannot find the maid guilty - dubious if any motive.
2. I wondered about the OP, but his steadfastness makes me, well ah...
3. That leaves, a partner or ex having slipped back. This room looks like something my ex-wife (and stalker) would do, given the smallest of chances. And that goes double if the someone I had been with for the night aggravated her anger .@:-)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by douginguam
1. Based on what has been offered I cannot find the maid guilty - dubious if any motive.
I outlined a possible motive for the cleaning staff.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
At least in that case there would have been an immediate room inspecion before the return of the cash deposit.
Exactly. And with immediate room inspection and refund of the deposit that would be evidence that the guest was in the good.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So thinking back to your first post...you said you have 100 stays, 200 nights at this same hotel, right? Two things...I agree what they did and charging YOU $500 might not seem fair, but compare it to a waitress who has you come in week after week and never leave a tip, and be a difficult customer.

This was not a one-time shot where they chalked it up to an a-h guest, you have a known pattern at this hotel. And they were sick of it.
This was the first (and last) time I ever stayed at the hotel. The 100 stays in my OP refer to lifetime starwood stays, not Westin stays. Generally I travel on business and leave the room basically in the same state I found it (clean).

Originally Posted by karenkay
i have rather a delicate question for the OP. you mention 'we.' are you absolutely certain that the other party you were staying with in your room didn't do this?

was the other person a spouse? perhaps a companion for a few days? i'm just curious if you're certain the other party wasn't at fault...it does seem like a lot for a housekeeper to take on, unless s/he had decided the gig wasn't worth it anymore.
I am certain. I was the last person to leave the room and the Westin's key audit confirms this. Nobody entered until the cleaning staff. Obviously the housekeeper got away with it, so I don't really see any downside if policy is always to blame the guest.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
It makes no sense that housekeeping did this. They would just end up creating more work for themselves and the laundry staff who have to get the wine out of the sheets and the $500 charge would end up in hotel income, not any staff member's pocket.
Lots of things that happen don't make any sense. People are irrational when they are mad. This was after a large convention so this could easily have been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Originally Posted by supatight80
I cant believe how 2 posters here would insinuate that it's the OP's own doing that caused this whole mess - by not tipping housekeeping (that is if housekeeping did it). Being messy is not a crime. But vandalism is. And being messy is subjective. Housekeeping has no right to be judge, jury, and executioner by defining 'messy' in his/her own terms.

And for the record, No crime is 'understandable'...No business owner would find it 'understandable' for a staff to trash the owner's property out of spite towards one of his/her customers just for being difficult. And for someone to say 'it's the only way for the hotel to get back to the customer' is ridiculous. The proper way is for management to call the attention of the guest about his cleanliness issues when he returns.
Thanks for your support.

Originally Posted by Mora
I've had exactly the same thought: Did you and whoever the second part of "we" was leave not just the room but the property together? And you mentioned a convention going on there: Any jealous colleagues, ex-partners, flings, etc staying on the same floor that could have possibly see you leaving your room and decided to get vindictive? Did anybody except you have a second room key to that room or did you need to get a room key replaced during your stay or even just got an additional one?
When I spoke to the general manager he let me know they had installed a fancy new key system that allows them to know whenever someone enters or leaves the room. I was the last person to leave (their system shows when the door closes) and nobody entered until housekeeping.

Originally Posted by TheBroad
After 2 hours, they took a picture of a perfectly fresh wine stain that hadn't even made a little dried ring around the outer edge? You're welcome.
+1 Good point. I didn't take a super close look at the photos (beyond to verify that this was indeed our room). I have already responded to the CC company but will point this out if the dispute continues.

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
I'll be curious to hear if SPC corporate intervenes. I had an issue at a Hilton in Houston that added parking charges after I departed. The hotel wouldn't acknowledge or respond but HHonors stepped in and refunded the charged to my credit card. After that I the hotel finally responded and protested but HHonors apparently had the final say. So if OP stays at SPG properties that often perhaps corporate will intercede.
I have raised this issue twice with SPG corporate and the second time they simply explained they can only recommend/suggest action, they can't force the property to do anything.

Originally Posted by douginguam
2. I wondered about the OP, but his steadfastness makes me, well ah...
3. That leaves, a partner or ex having slipped back. This room looks like something my ex-wife (and stalker) would do, given the smallest of chances. And that goes double if the someone I had been with for the night aggravated her anger .@:-)
1. There are several plausible motives for cleaning staff - three obvious ones being anger at the state of the room, lack of tip, and accidental damage escalating to intentional damage

2. If I did it I would have given up a long time ago. I have spent far more than $500 worth of time and hassle trying to fix this, but for me its the principle of the thing. It would be one thing if they charged me $500 for an extremely messy room and pointed to the fine print in guest policy, but this is vandalism by staff trying to be pushed onto me.

3. Key audits indicate that this would be impossible. I suppose someone could have hid in the room, but this is far less plausible than (1).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No need to get snarky. There's never an excsue for rudeness. A simple, "Well, the unemployment rate in Illinois is 7.9%, so there may not be as many options as you think" would have sufficed.

I presume from your statement that there are no more help wanted listings in the newspapers and that this is the only job which was available to the employee involved (if it was him/her)....
110% agree with you Dr.HFH. Unfortunately some posters here attack the person with negative adjectives (which goes against the rules of flyertalk), instead of tackling the issue/s involved. That's why i respect you as a lawyer and your objective mindset. you must be VERY good at your profession being a lawyer..being objective and all, and sticking to the issues at hand. A few other lawyers.....no comment..except that yes you are absolutely right, there is no excuse for rudeness.

Back to topic, OP what were the results? It's been awhile now and yet none of us have known the outcome of your situation. What did corporate say? Credit card company?

You know, because of your unfortunate incident, i actually check-out 15 minutes earlier and INSIST on having my room checked if everything is good to go. And i now refuse to leave the property unless itmhas been checked. I really wish you luck, hope things work out the way they should be.

But do please keep us posted on the events, negative or positive...It'll help us learn from the unfortunate incident that happened, I personally appreciate you bringing this up. At least we will know where we stand should (god forbid) situations like these would happen

Last edited by supatight80; Jul 30, 2014 at 12:30 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by supatight80
110% agree with you Dr.HFH. Unfortunately some posters here attack the person with negative adjectives (which goes against the rules of flyertalk), instead of tackling the issue/s involved. That's why i respect you as a lawyer and your objective mindset. you must be VERY good at your profession being a lawyer..being objective and all, and sticking to the issues at hand. A few other lawyers.....no comment..except that yes you are absolutely right, there is no excuse for rudeness.

Back to topic, OP what were the results? It's been awhile now and yet none of us have known the outcome of your situation. What did corporate say? Credit card company?

You know, because of your unfortunate incident, i actually check-out 15 minutes earlier and INSIST on having my room checked if everything is good to go. And i now refuse to leave the property unless itmhas been checked. I really wish you luck, hope things work out the way they should be.

But do please keep us posted on the events, negative or positive...It'll help us learn from the unfortunate incident that happened, I personally appreciate you bringing this up. At least we will know where we stand should (god forbid) situations like these would happen
Supatight - clearly you are unhappy with getting locked out of your own thread(http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...corporate.html), so you trolled another thread to reply. If that isn't against FT policies, it should be.

If you were sincere and had anything of value to add to this thread you wouldn't be asking the OP about the outcome of his situation. After all, 9 hours before you feigned to care, the OP clearly indicated that there has been no resolution on any of the fronts.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
Hmmm, this is obviously an unfortunate incident and I'm curious to see how it ends. From the hotel's standpoint, if they can't count on their door locking system to accurately report who goes in/out of rooms, it's a huge problem. I don't think the hotel will just eat this although maybe a discount in the bill might be in order.

I remember a complaint many years ago when online stock trading first got popular. One person insisted that they bought 20 shares of an expensive stock but the system bought 200 shares (much of it on margin). Of course the stock price went down later that day and the person complained about it. The company said that the system just trades whatever # of shares they enter into the box. The customer kept insisting that they "know" that they typed in 20 and not 200. I am fairly certain that the customer lost.

The hotel will insist with room logs that after the customer checked out, then it was housekeeping and they saw the room in this state. Somehow saying that someone else hacked the locking system and messed up the room in between is farfetched and doesn't make much sense (although anything can be true). I understand the logic with the wine ring still being wet but this isn't CSI. That evidence will largely just be ignored rather that someone running a similar test to gauge the age of the wine spill via simulation.

I certainly hope the OP well but this one isn't so clear cut.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:50 pm

Was OP told how quickly the problem was reported after the housekeeper entered the room? If it was immediate, the housekeeper wouldn't have much time to take out her frustration by writing on the mirror and destroying the bed with wine, etc. However, if there was a lag, it does raise some questions.

Also, was the lipstick or whatever was used to write on the mirror found in the room?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by HK47
. . .

Nope, I didn't write on the mirror. That isn't my handwriting and I was the last person to leave the room at ~2:00pm. They say the maid opened the door at ~3:40pm and security found the room like that 10mins later.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was OP told how quickly the problem was reported after the housekeeper entered the room? If it was immediate, the housekeeper wouldn't have much time to take out her frustration by writing on the mirror and destroying the bed with wine, etc. However, if there was a lag, it does raise some
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:21 pm

I presume the maid called someone who called to send security to the room, but did the maid call to report the damage at 3:41 or 3:49?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Hard to believe security got there in a minute

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.