Wiki Posts
Search

Are EDU rates still available?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Are EDU rates still available?

The EDU rate for my University appears to be no longer valid.

This was the same rate code as the University of California.

(1) Does anyone know if all these rates are gone?

This change has come at the same time as a reorganization of the relevant group at my University so I have not been able to get an answer internally.

(2) If I made a booking for next month using the EDU rate while it was still valid will this booking still be accepted by the Hotel?

I did a search on EDU rates and the only threads were from 5 years ago.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
The Cal rate code appears valid for a test booking next month and in November for Atlanta properties.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
(2) If I made a booking for next month using the EDU rate while it was still valid will this booking still be accepted by the Hotel?
If the SET code was available when booking then the rate is valid for that stay.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neo_781
If the SET code was available when booking then the rate is valid for that stay.
Thanks Neo

I thought that was probably the case.

It looks like my University has not negotiated a new deal with Starwood.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Thanks Neo

I thought that was probably the case.

It looks like my University has not negotiated a new deal with Starwood.
If you code is like 1***5 than it is valid. It's mine too and I booked rooms a minute ago.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
If you code is like 1***5 than it is valid. It's mine too and I booked rooms a minute ago.
For the last 4 or 5 years my EDU code has been 3***2.

It seems to have become invalid in last few months.

Our University has reorganized the people who handle this sort of thing and nobody seems to be able to tell me if a new agreement has been negotiated.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For the last 4 or 5 years my EDU code has been 3***2.

It seems to have become invalid in last few months.

Our University has reorganized the people who handle this sort of thing and nobody seems to be able to tell me if a new agreement has been negotiated.
It is not necessarily the case that a code valid at the time of booking remains valid at the time of use if the code expires due to a contract lapsing. It's worth pressing your internal people for specific advice, e.g. what do they suggest?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:49 pm

And it could be that they moved to a different code. I just sent you a PM with some options for your particular situation.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you google Harvard and SET and Starwood you will find the relevant Harvard webpage. Code is good for eligible persons only (expect to present ID) however it is the same code as the UC at Berkeley uses.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:03 pm

If you google Harvard and SET and Starwood you will find the relevant Harvard webpage. Code is good for eligible persons only (expect to present ID) however it is the same code as the UC at Berkeley uses.
It may have the same benefits and discounts, but it is not the same rate code. The Harvard code begins with 17. The University of California system rate code (and the rate codes for every individual institution within the Cal system, whether it is the behemoths of UCLA and Berkeley or the newer and much tinier Merced campus) begins with a 36.

I sent the OP a list of all the relevant rate codes within the Cal system.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jibi
It may have the same benefits and discounts, but it is not the same rate code. The Harvard code begins with 17. The University of California system rate code (and the rate codes for every individual institution within the Cal system, whether it is the behemoths of UCLA and Berkeley or the newer and much tinier Merced campus) begins with a 36.

I sent the OP a list of all the relevant rate codes within the Cal system.
The Harvard code will be translated to UC Berkeley in the confirmation at several properties. So will the UC Berkeley code be translated to Harvard the same way. I got the feeling that there are a few EDU codes. I am both, a Harvard and a Berkeley alumni and use both codes, and both appear to be interchangeable.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Apr 28, 2014 at 11:41 pm
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

The Harvard code will be translated to UC Berkeley in the confirmation at several properties. So will the UC Berkeley code be translated to Harvard the same way. I got the feeling that their are a few EDU codes. I am both, a Harvard and a Berkeley alumni and use both codes, and both appear to be interchangeable.
My code was a University of Texas System code. However it would get interpreted when booking as a University of California code so I imagine that you are correct.

I managed to redo my bookings at a lower prepaid rate so I have avoided the cancellation issue.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions....
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I just checked the code I am authorized to use from U. Penn. Interesting results in NYC. At Sheraton NY Times Square, it lowers the rate from $449 to $382. At Element NY Times Square West, it increases the rate from $311 to $594.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I just checked the code I am authorized to use from U. Penn. Interesting results in NYC. At Sheraton NY Times Square, it lowers the rate from $449 to $382. At Element NY Times Square West, it increases the rate from $311 to $594.
I've also seen an increase happen from time to time although not a $300 one. I called Cust. Svc. and they sorted it out. But still.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
What are the eligibility requirements for the Penn SET? I've been trying to find a website explaining it, but I didn't see anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.