Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton - Iguazu falls vs Hotel des CAtaras

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Sheraton - Iguazu falls vs Hotel des CAtaras

Hi
I am planning a 3 night trip to Iguazua falls next week.
I am arriving at midnight at IGU on Brazil side then arranging hotel taxi. I am planning on spending night 1 and 2 at Sheraton on Argentina side (cheaper with points and cash) then move to Brazil for last day and stay at the luxurious HOtel des CAtaratas.

1. HAs anyone stayed at both places? Is there a big difference between two places? Should I splurge for all three nights at the Hotel des CAtaras? Ive heard very mixed reviews at the Sheraton.

2. Does this plan sound reasonable?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I assume you've checked visa requirements and reciprocity fee procedures and costs?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by llbean

1. HAs anyone stayed at both places? Is there a big difference between two places? Should I splurge for all three nights at the Hotel des CAtaras? Ive heard very mixed reviews at the Sheraton.

2. Does this plan sound reasonable?
It sounds reasonable to me. I've stayed at both and the Hotel des Cataras is far more luxurious than the Sheraton. The service standard is also higher (in my experience) and more consistent. The food is of much higher quality at the Hotel des Cataras and we eat in the hotel. At the Sheraton we usually take a cab into town to eat dinner (only having breakfast and lunch in the park). Beware of the hotel staff trying to send you to tourist steakhouses where you have to pay a cover and there will be busloads upon busloads of tourists.

That said, my wife and I prefer the park on the Argentine side and the Sheraton is (obviously) on that side. THe park on the Argentine side is less commercialized and, also seems less crowded as there don't seem to be so many bus tours in the park.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:32 am

There are only two redeeming qualities to the sheraton...

1. It's in the park...this is a huge advantage as it's super convenient to get to the sights, and you can get an early start. And the views are pretty good as you're right there.

2. Platinum recognition has been pretty good for me. Suite upgrade and a bottle of wine last time.

Rooms, service, food all sub-par.

I've been twice and both times have done the two walking circuits and the boat ride into the falls in the afternoon of the first day, spent one night at teh sheraton with a cab ride to dinner in town, done the devil's throat the next morning and left the argentinean side mid afternoon.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
If you have spg status there's no good reason why you wouldn't want to spend time inthe park and at that hotel.

Contrary to recent reports on here, the place has recently undergone a full renovation with the rooms being updated and modernized. I stayed there last week and the food was superb coupled along with the staff.... Excellent breakfast and brilliant dinner too - all very reasonably priced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.