Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Award booking and mandatory "New Years Eve Dinner"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Award booking and mandatory "New Years Eve Dinner"?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, AF Gold, GOL Diamante, SPG LTP, Hyatt Platinum, Accor Gold
Angry SPG Award booking and mandatory "New Years Eve Dinner"?

recently booked two SPG award stays at the Sheraton Krabi and a few days after the booking (with NO conditions when I made the booking) I was told by the Hotel that there is a mandatory "New Years Eve Dinner" at a price exceeding normal paid nights. being a SPG Platinum for around 14 years I never experienced thst. Cheating and lying to so far loyal customers.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by WFQT
recently booked two SPG award stays at the Sheraton Krabi and a few days after the booking (with NO conditions when I made the booking) I was told by the Hotel that there is a mandatory "New Years Eve Dinner" at a price exceeding normal paid nights. being a SPG Platinum for around 14 years I never experienced thst. Cheating and lying to so far loyal customers.
I recall posts about the "mandatory holiday dinners" in Asian properties (you might try a search). However, I would suggest looking at your confirmation to see if it is mentioned there. If not, try contacting SPG Customer Care (or one of the Lurkers) to see if the property is allowed to change the terms of a reservation after the fact (I hope the response is no). If they side with the property, they should allow you to cancel without any penalty.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Multiple properties in thailand are force hotel guest to paid for New Years Eve Dinner
Not only starwood (mariott,hilton,hyatt,accor)
You can also check or email to each property about NYE dinner
Not all of Starwood properties force hotel guest to NYE Dinner
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Check your stay confirmation. If it does not list the mandatory dinner, you have grounds to follow up. If it does, then your best bet is to cancel or do the dinner.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
It's been like that for years. And they even have a warning on their site:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=1438
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:16 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
This is typical of most Asian resort hotels. You can try and talk to the management but they are normally strict on this, as most of the year particularly in Thailand guests tend to eat off site. Having said that they normally put on a good spread and as you are staying free, just enjoy it.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
I booked a 12 night paid stay over last Christmas and New Year in Dubai. The rate for Christmas Day was somewhat inflated and ridiculously so for NYE.
"Rate Plan Description: New Year Eve Package. Nightly price on Dec 31, includes gala dinner supplement."

Luckily Z6H was available at the time of booking and it really is 5th and 6th night free.. Saved over 50% with that code Not so surprisingly the availability disappeared soon after my booking.

Funny thing is, all the restaurants - there are plenty high end choices on property - had their own NYE/Chistmas dinner or party plan. We had a great party at the Embassy on top of the tower 2, but I don't think were any discounts for other guests due to gala dinner supplement in the room rate.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A good number of threads about this. For example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ve-dinner.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...idding-me.html

It is listed under "Special Conditions", but I guess few actual bother to click on it. Yes, it is common for most resort properties in South Asia under any flag (Starwood, Hilton, Marriott etc) or locally flagged. I doubt they will waive it but I am sure you can cancel without penalty.

Last edited by TerryK; Apr 21, 2014 at 9:38 am
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
No cheating, no lying. As posted upthread, this is specifically disclosed on the hotel's website, and is common in SEAsia, particularly in Thailand.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
If they side with the property, they should allow you to cancel without any penalty.
Aren't all award stays cancellable without penalty?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
....Aren't all award stays cancellable without penalty?
Many awards, especially for resorts, have cancellation time limit. You can only cancel before certain dates. IIRC, St Regis Deer Crest has one year cancellation time limit.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
recently booked two SPG award stays at the Sheraton Krabi and a few days after the booking (with NO conditions when I made the booking) I was told by the Hotel that there is a mandatory "New Years Eve Dinner" at a price exceeding normal paid nights. being a SPG Platinum for around 14 years I never experienced thst.
As others have said, this is a common practice in Thailand and clearly posted on their website.

Cheating and lying to so far loyal customers.
Hardly. They notified you within days of your booking, a full 8 months prior to your stay. If there was no mention of this requirement on their website, and they notified you upon check-in, I could see you making such a statement. But, when it is disclosed and they notify you immediately, I think they are being very fair.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TerryK
Many awards, especially for resorts, have cancellation time limit. You can only cancel before certain dates. IIRC, St Regis Deer Crest has one year cancellation time limit.
I assume you are referencing St. Regis Deer Valley in Park City, Utah. I've checked numerous dates and find the awards cancellation deadlines range from as few as seven days prior to arrival to at most six weeks prior to arrival but none with a deadline one year prior to arrival.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by controller1
I assume you are referencing St. Regis Deer Valley in Park City, Utah. I've checked numerous dates and find the awards cancellation deadlines range from as few as seven days prior to arrival to at most six weeks prior to arrival but none with a deadline one year prior to arrival.
As recently as a couple years ago they had several dates that were completely non-refundable for points and most other winter dates had a 90 day cancellation period.

Now, it looks like most of the peak February and March dates are still 90 days and off-peak ski season is 6 weeks. I didn't check all of the dates but since no one should be redeeming here during the non-ski season I would change your statement to say most of the dates that people would want to book have a 90-day cancellation period and the other dates people would book have a 6 week cancellation period (which is still too long IMO).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No cheating, no lying. As posted upthread, this is specifically disclosed on the hotel's website, and is common in SEAsia, particularly in Thailand.

Aren't all award stays cancellable without penalty?
So if there are conflicting terms between their website and your confirmation, which applies? The property is responsible for making sure all terms are consistent or they can lose out. If the confirmation has words to the effect "per terms stated on our website" then that would tie things up a bit.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
So if there are conflicting terms between their website and your confirmation, which applies? The property is responsible for making sure all terms are consistent or they can lose out. If the confirmation has words to the effect "per terms stated on our website" then that would tie things up a bit.
I don't think that there are. "Conflicting terms" in this case would be if the confirmation says that the NYE dinner is not mandatory on this rezzie. If the confirmation doesn't mention the NYE dinner, then I don't see the conflict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.