Search

SJC, SMF, or OAK spg property for stopover

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
SJC, SMF, or OAK spg property for stopover

Hello everyone,
I found some AAsaver availability to get my husband and I to Maui over a holiday weekend. However, on the way there, I need to connect overnight in either SJC, SMF, or OAK. Ideally, I'd like to pick up a SPG stay for that night. We can leave Los Angeles in the early afternoon, meaning we would really only be at the location for dinner and maybe one sightseeing activity. The flights the next morning leave around 9am/10am to Maui. In case it matters, the OAK flight is on Hawaiian Air and the SJC and SMF flights are on Alaska.

Is there an spg hotel at any of these locations that makes the decision an easy choice? Based on a quick search, it looks like at SJC and OAK, I would need to rent a car for the night, as there are no real "airport" hotels. I'm fine with renting a car as the rate is pretty cheap. If all the hotels are pretty equal, are any of the actual airports preferable?
Thank you in advance,
Ashley
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Right now there is a Four Points at SMF airport. OAK/SJC has no Starwood airport hotel--though a Four Points SJC airport is supposed to open around June. It is a conversion so it is unclear how likely it is to stay on schedule to open on time. For OAK, you could take BART over to SF and back in the morning. It is only about 20 minutes on BART and 11-12 minutes on Air Bart to get from downtown to OAK. There are obviously a lot more dinner options and things to do in a small amount of time in SF than out in the suburbs.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The closest property to OAK is the Four Points Emeryville. It is average quality, but rates can be high due to location. I'd say it is a $25 to $30 Uber ride to OAK. There's an open air mall almost across the street (2, but one is "nicer").

OAK is an easy airport, free wi-fi, no lounges, and usually short security lines, esp. in T-1 (everyone but WN).

Given the cost of car rental and time involved in pick up and drop off, I'd take a taxi or Uber to/from Emeryville, if this is your choice.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The closest property to OAK is the Four Points Emeryville. It is average quality, but rates can be high due to location.
And they can be dirt cheap as well.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd say it is a $25 to $30 Uber ride to OAK.
Or BART to MacArthur and the (free) Emery-Go-Round.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
SMF Airport is pretty easy to navigate and fast with TSA Pre Check. SMF FourPoints is fairly standard FourPoints, nothing to write home about. There is a hotel shuttle to/from the Airport. But there's nothing within walking distance of the hotel for dinner, so you may be stuck with hotel restaurant if you don't have a car.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
And I will put one vote in for SJC. There is a FourPoints right in downtown San Jose and it is literally a few miles from the airport (2.5 miles), so a simple cab ride. There are many restaurants within immediate walking distance of the hotel (within a block or two), some quite good ones too. There is also several clubs, a movie theater, a performing arts center, etc... all within immediate walking distance.

If you are staying over on a Friday or Saturday night the rates are often very reasonable as well, typically around $100 - $120.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: SPG Plat, USairways Plat, Avis First
+1 for 4Points in downtown SJ. Easy cab ride and you're in an actual neighborhood.

SMF 4Points is clean and an easy shuttle ride but in an incredibly boring spot.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Normally I despise Four Points... but the one in SJC is actually pretty nice and only a couple miles away from the airport.

I would avoid the Emeryville properties in Oakland. If you're not familiar with the bay area, i'd say to avoid this option. There can be some nasty traffic in between emeryville and the OAK airport whereas in SJC you're so close to the airport, it won't be an issue.

I can't really speak for SMF.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I'd recommend SJC for activities around the hotel

[QUOTE=whimike;22706440]And I will put one vote in for SJC. There is a FourPoints right in downtown San Jose and it is literally a few miles from the airport (2.5 miles), so a simple cab ride. There are many restaurants within immediate walking distance of the hotel (within a block or two), some quite good ones too. There is also several clubs, a movie theater, a performing arts center, etc... all within immediate walking distance.

I agree! I live in downtown San Jose and the Four Points is located in a historic hotel right in the middle of all the nighttime activities. The hotel restaurant, Mosaic, isn't bad, but within easy walking distance (5 min) there are 2 high-end steakhouses (Grill on the Alley & Morton's) plus lots of great local independent restaurants: Blackbird Tavern (gastropub), Nemea (Greek tavern) are both excellent. If you like jazz, Café Stritch has live music and terrific food. Original Joe's is a throwback institution for classic Italian. The hotel is also close to several performing arts venues you can check for interesting music, theater, etc.: California Theater, Center for Performing Arts, Montgomery Theater, Civic Auditorium, City Lights Theater, San Jose Stage Co., San Jose Repertory Theater. None of the other airports will have this many choices for food and entertainment all within a 10 minute cab ride from the airport. Cab fare from downtown will run $20-25 including a generous tip; taxis are a bit pricy here but Lyft and Uber, 2 newish alternative rideshare companies, do a good business here and are less expensive.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
These replies were incredibly helpful! Thank you! I think we are leaning towards SJC now, but I'll do a bit more research before deciding. Flyertalkers are the best! Thank you guys, so much!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Good luck and enjoy your Maui vacation!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The SJC Four Points property is really nice. There isn't much in the suite upgrade opportunity department, but for the South Bay, the location is relatively good, there's a swank cocktail lounge (and restaurant) in the hotel, and an array of dining close by.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:58 am
Company Representative - Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown

Programs: SPG
Hi:

My name is Randy Zimmerman, and I'm the General Manager of the Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown.

I'd like to encourage you to visit as well; the previous comments are accurate, and as such, you'll have plenty of great options for entertainment.

Of note....we are kind of an "outlier" as Four Points go. For about 100 years, we were known as Hotel Montgomery, and around 2001, the hotel was literally picked up and moved down the street a block to make way for the Fairmont's new addition. We made the Guinness record book for the heaviest building ever moved. In the process the building was gutted, retrofitted with the latest/greatest seismic upgrades, HVAC, not to mention enlarging the rooms (some of which didn't have en-suite bathrooms), etc. So we're in a cool old building with a lot of history with a very modern features and amenities.

While we became a Four Points officially in 2010, a lot of the Hotel Montgomery still "lives" at the hotel, (design and look), so that's why so many people comment as to our uniqueness. In addition to our (small) fitness room, we offer our guests unlimited complimentary access to Bally Total Fitness (now transitioning to Fitness Evolution), just a block away, plus free, blazing fast WiFi.

There are reasonably efficient public transit options to SJC as well, which use our light rail system. The station is just across the street from the hotel, and the ride costs $2. PM me if you'd like more info.

Hope that helps. Looking forward to welcoming you to San Jose!

- Randy Zimmerman

PS: Here's a brief movie showing the hotel being moved, gutted and reopened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgV-OuyVjK4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.