Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

I will NEVER stay at a St. Regis property again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

I posted this review of my stay at the St. Regis NYC to Tripadvisor last week and the hotel's response is as insulting as their treatment during out stay. I will boycott this brand for life.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._New_York.html

If anyone has a contact for the property manager, I would greatly appreciate it. Not only were our plans affected on several ocassions as a result of the hotel (we were over an hour late for our own wedding reception and cocktail party two days in a row!!!) but a $1,000 bespoke suit was destroyed without apology or compensation! I would really like to speak with the property manager directly and give him/her a piece of mind. I'm shocked that after such an explicitly detailed review, I would receive a generic BS response like this... They've not contested or refuted anything that I wrote (it's all 100% true) yet they post a response that only further reflects the poor level of service, management and utter lack of thought or care that this property exhibits. I'm livid at this cut and paste response and would like to speak with someone of higher authority at the St. Regis brand as this is unacceptable to me.

Last edited by OliverB; Jan 9, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB
If anyone has a contact for the property manager, I would greatly appreciate it.
General Manager Paul H. F. Nash. 212-339-6741. [email protected]
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb
General Manager Paul H. F. Nash. 212-339-6741. [email protected]
Thanks so much, I appreciate that!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Umm...ok bye.

I posted this review of my stay at the St. Regis NYC to Tripadvisor last week and the hotel's response is as insulting as their treatment during out stay. I will boycott this brand for life.

If anyone has a contact for the property manager, I would greatly appreciate it. Not only were our plans affected on several ocassions as a result of the hotel (we were over an hour late for our own wedding reception and cocktail party two days in a row!!!) but a $1,000 bespoke suit was destroyed without apology or compensation! I would really like to speak with the property manager directly and give him/her a piece of mind. I'm shocked that after such an explicitly detailed review, I would receive a generic BS response like this... They've not contested or refuted anything that I wrote (it's all 100% true) yet they post a response that only further reflects the poor level of service, management and utter lack of thought or care that this property exhibits. I'm livid at this cut and paste response and would like to speak with someone of higher authority at the St. Regis brand as this is unacceptable to me.
Rather than start a highly emotional thread on a largely anonymous internet site, have you simply called the hotel and asked to speak to the property manager?

Additionally, if you are planning to "boycott this brand for life" what is the purpose of "giving someone a piece of your mind?"

For the record, threads on FT started under "high emotion" rarely end well.

Regards

Note: Having attempted to read your "review" on Tripadvisor, I'd highly recommend that you come in off the ledge, collect your thoughts, and clearly articulate what specific outcome you are looking for. Your Tripadvisor review is far, far too long and laced with emotion; nobody will read that in its entirety, I doubt the staff member who made the canned response even bothered to read the entire diatribe. Figure out what you want, contact the property directly, and communicate it clearly and succinctly; drop the emotion if you hope to accomplish any positive outcome.

Last edited by scubadu; Jan 9, 2014 at 3:10 pm
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

I can predict this will blow up fast and the "action news" will ensure this thread racks up lots of views.

Have you called the property?

Based on how this thread was written, this "rant" will come across with no validity. I appreciate people giving reviews of their stays but this sound retaliatory.

If you want to let this one experience, force you to never stay at the brand again, then so be it, but this seem overly dramatic.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by scubadu
Umm...ok bye.

Rather than start a highly emotional thread on a largely anonymous internet site, have you simply called the hotel and asked to speak to the property manager?

Additionally, if you are planning to "boycott this brand for life" what is the purpose of "giving someone a piece of your mind?"

For the record, threads on FT started under "high emotion" rarely end well.

Regards
Wow you posted while I was typing but we've both been here long enough to know how these types of threads mature.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:16 pm

Thanks so much, I appreciate that!
You're welcome.

Let us know the response.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
The OP seemed to have had unrealistic expectations and cut it too close in terms of arriving in time to make it to their cocktail party, since planes are delayed, NYC has traffic and other snafus completely independent of the hotel can develop. Aside from that, it seems that any hotel that fell short in the way he described would be due some criticism, especially a luxury property such as the St. Regis. The manager's tripadvisor reply was certainly perfunctory bordering on unprofessional, which to my mind actually lends some weight to the OP's claims.

Having said that, it could be that what the OP really needed was to post here and on TA as a way of venting his and his wife's frustrations and warning others about their experience. Not sure you'll get any more satisfaction out of this than such venting can offer. I suppose you can try to pursue this further with the hotel and Starwood, but perhaps it's best to chalk this up as a bad experience, see this is just a blip in the grand scheme of your married life together, and let it go.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The insanely long TA rant, which I could not finish, seemed to mix some perfectly valid complaints with a hefty dose of bigtime primadonna-ness. My brain began to hurt somewhere around the time that the $1,000 suit got trashed and the Hollywood seamstress said the hotel did it.

I could see that TA review going viral...with the OP being the brunt of the joke, not the hotel. The highest-maintenance hotel guest in the world had a crappy stay at a luxe Manhattan hotel...oh, popcorn please, this will be good.

If there's an underlying legitimate complaint (which there probably is), it gets lost while readers are laughing about a guest who didn't get his upgrade, who's picky about where all of his champagne is, and who asks hotel employees to pack and unpack his luggage for him.

I'm kind of curious as to the initial arrival time, whether *no* rooms were ready, or whether the OP was jostling for an upgrade and got one, but *that* room wasn't ready...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
So you've trashed the whole brand based on one stay at one property. And you apparently have had many good stays there.

Yup, that makes sense.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
My heart goes out to the OP; I have had nightmare stays like this where things just go from bad to worse in a horrible death spiral. The response by hotel management IMHO is completely inadequate.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

If the review (not rant) was long that can only be accredited to the property itself and the countless issues that took place. None of my expectations were unrealistic, except perhaps posting in this particular forum, as you all seem to be out of touch with the service expectations that one would come to expect when chosing to stay at The St. Regis. Timelines were not unrealistic either; I had contacted the hotel numerous times to let them know of our schedule and arrival and had it not been for the disorganization and lack of professionalism, we would not have been late for any engagements. Having staff misplace luggage, damage expensive clothing without taking accountability, discard personal items of value in addition to countless unresponsive service requests, being woefully unprepared and keeping guests waiting for exorbitant lengths of time creating uncomfortable and inconvenient circumstances, is not being high maintenance. The TA response is the final straw for me. There's no point in responding further to this thread as I'm obviously addressing the wrong audience here. It's all covered in the review anyway.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by postular
My heart goes out to the OP; I have had nightmare stays like this where things just go from bad to worse in a horrible death spiral. The response by hotel management IMHO is completely inadequate.
Thank you postular.

I was simply expressing my frustration here and warning others of our experience.
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Despite the highly emotional rant I will attempt to make some sense of it:

Despite the length of the rant you fail to mention any actual times. If you checked in prior to the official hotel check in time, then you have no right to complain, regardless if you notified the hotel of an early arrival. Prebooking the night before is the only way to guarantee an early arrival. This goes for any hotel or brand.

You have a contract with the hotel but believe the best avenue for complain is a long rant on Tripadvisor. Despite your contract and lengthy stay history you don't have a single point of contact in the hotel? Director of Sales? Any duty managers that have greeted you during a stay? This I find the oddest part.

As for the suit. Use travel insurance. I appreciate the cost but it is just clothing.

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
...you all seem to be out of touch with the service expectations that one would come to expect when chosing to stay at The St. Regis.
You're absolutely right. Nobody in this forum has ever stayed at a St. Regis property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.