Suggestion for Ws: Club Lounge - W Style

Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Suggestion for Ws: Club Lounge - W Style

W brand is probably one of the most unique creation in Starwood, and it is a brand that most of the other major chains do not have an answer to (at the moment) in my opinion.

But unfortunately, Ws do not have a club lounge (except for W Guangzhou I understand, but I have not been there - anyone can give more in-depth review of the club lounge there?), and that I thought is quite a drawback.

I believe if there is a club lounge for W, it will be quite different from the other SPG club lounges, as in-line with the W brand, it would be a place to hang out till late. I would really love the idea to chill in a club lounge till 2am, with discounted paid alcoholic drinks (non-alcoholic to be still complimentary) after happy hours (happy hours to still have alcoholic drinks complimentary) to late night closing or 24 hrs, and the idea of the club lounge is exclusivity (and probably with a good view and finishings of a W branded lounge) and only hotel guests could enjoy. This takes the stay at W to another level.

Right now, while I like the interior of most Ws, the lack of club lounge is keeping me away from an extended stay. When in a Westin/Le Meridien/Sheraton with a club lounge, should I need any help, I could sit in the lounge and wait for the staff to assist. In Ws, I have to stand and Q and wait to speak to the concierge. (At least in St Regis, there is the butler service) And somehow, the concierge is always very busy in the Ws I stayed.
Of course, cocktail hours is always nice in a Club Lounge.

Given that Ws rates are often higher than Westin/Le Meridien/Sheraton, I think Club Lounge should not be too difficult to upkeep.

And I would like W Club Lounges to close really late, like maybe 2am at least. (in line with the W brand) Preferably even later if not 24 hours. (and not like some Sheratons that operate from 5-9pm! - Sheraton Osaka! )

Anyone else in favor of W having Club Lounges?

Just for friendly discussion. Maybe if there is enough support, Lurkers can feedback to the senior management.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
W brand is probably one of the most unique creation in Starwood, and it is a brand that most of the other major chains do not have an answer to (at the moment) in my opinion.

But unfortunately, Ws do not have a club lounge (except for W Guangzhou I understand, but I have not been there - anyone can give more in-depth review of the club lounge there?), and that I thought is quite a drawback.

I believe if there is a club lounge for W, it will be quite different from the other SPG club lounges, as in-line with the W brand, it would be a place to hang out till late. I would really love the idea to chill in a club lounge till 2am, with discounted paid alcoholic drinks (non-alcoholic to be still complimentary) after happy hours (happy hours to still have alcoholic drinks complimentary) to late night closing or 24 hrs, and the idea of the club lounge is exclusivity (and probably with a good view and finishings of a W branded lounge) and only hotel guests could enjoy. This takes the stay at W to another level.

Right now, while I like the interior of most Ws, the lack of club lounge is keeping me away from an extended stay. When in a Westin/Le Meridien/Sheraton with a club lounge, should I need any help, I could sit in the lounge and wait for the staff to assist. In Ws, I have to stand and Q and wait to speak to the concierge. (At least in St Regis, there is the butler service) And somehow, the concierge is always very busy in the Ws I stayed.
Of course, cocktail hours is always nice in a Club Lounge.

Given that Ws rates are often higher than Westin/Le Meridien/Sheraton, I think Club Lounge should not be too difficult to upkeep.

And I would like W Club Lounges to close really late, like maybe 2am at least. (in line with the W brand) Preferably even later if not 24 hours. (and not like some Sheratons that operate from 5-9pm! - Sheraton Osaka! )

Anyone else in favor of W having Club Lounges?

Just for friendly discussion. Maybe if there is enough support, Lurkers can feedback to the senior management.
First, Hyatt and Marriott both have an equivalent to the W Brand. Hilton tried it but we all know what happened there.

Second, as the W are more a club atmosphere and every W has a Lounge/night club connect to the "living room" having a lounge would be not be positive to the business model of being social connected and having people buy drinks in the lounge and move to the resident night club.

Third, all you're requesting is already in a W it's just not a Elite benefit or tied to the SPG program.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
If I'm a hotel investor, I'd laugh at such a suggestion. One of the assets of the W brand to date is that it has a successful model for attracting a core demographic that actually *WANTS* to hang out in W venues and pay top dollar for food and drink. While most hotel venues are practically empty these days, W often sees queues on the sidewalks full of folks waiting to get in and spend $$$$$$.

As a long time Plat member, I'd get a kick out of using a W lounge as proposed, but I cannot imagine a single reason that the brand would consider developing one.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by sbtinme
If I'm a hotel investor, I'd laugh at such a suggestion. One of the assets of the W brand to date is that it has a successful model for attracting a core demographic that actually *WANTS* to hang out in W venues and pay top dollar for food and drink. While most hotel venues are practically empty these days, W often sees queues on the sidewalks full of folks waiting to get in and spend $$$$$$.

As a long time Plat member, I'd get a kick out of using a W lounge as proposed, but I cannot imagine a single reason that the brand would consider developing one.
100% agree. They cater to a group of people that want to "pay to be seen" even if what they are paying for is crap!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
100% agree. They cater to a group of people that want to "pay to be seen" even if what they are paying for is crap!
Agreed. As another longtime Plat and frequent guest of Ws, I concur that the W brand could and perhaps should do a little more for their top tier guests, but lounges with complimentary pretzels, appies, and soft drinks just wouldn't fit their model for the reasons cited above, among others. And lounges that offer free liquor to Platinum guests (The Nines, Portland style) would be totally counterproductive from a business point of view since most Plat W guests seem pretty content forking over $14 for a martini alongside everybody else lining up in droves to do so under the status quo.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I agree with most, I think it doesn't fit their model and wouldn't help the bottom line. I love lounges, esp with free decent food and drinks like the Sheraton Waikiki, but the W brand doesn't need to I think.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I stay in Ws a good bit and in SPGs a lot (100+ per year). I rarely use the lounges (only when I am on vacation), and at the W, I like the style, but not the club atmosphere. Put me in a room as far away from the lobby/bar as possible.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:58 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
W Style!?

Why do I have a mental image of a velvet roped dark room with purple couches, happy hour with coke (not to be confused with pepsi ) and a stripper pole....
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:18 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by AJLondon
W Style!?

Why do I have a mental image of a velvet roped dark room with purple couches, happy hour with coke (not to be confused with pepsi ) and a stripper pole....
An Investment Banker's Dream Hotel!

On topic, I agree with the above sentiments that while it would be nice, W doesn't offer such a lounge because it doesn't have to. As one of the strongest performers of any brand in the industry, W's target a specific demographic who are happy to pay to see and be scene (pun intended), and have plenty of disposable income to do so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.