Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Thailand: "Starwood fears political conflict will hit hotels"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *

A piece from the Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...ill-hit-hotels
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
The protest will come on 2nd week of jan 2014
every crossroads will take over by protesters and change road to walking street.
Only publictransportation,bus,train are allowed.
This event will take 10-20 days.
It will take effect to all hotel guest in bangkok -_-'
cab will not work,BTS and MRT will full (protesters and OL,SM) like 22-Dec-2013
My recommend SPG properties to stay for this event is hotel that near BTS in bangkok
SGS WGS 4P STR
! Translate from thai news website (manager.co.th)
!! Sorry for my poor english -_-'

Last edited by nongsom; Dec 29, 2013 at 8:50 pm Reason: add properties
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Protests will continue it appears

I have friends in the City of Angels and they say that the protests are only going to get worse and worse in the New Year.

That said, Corporations in general love to use any excuse to lower potential earnings when they cannot be blamed by shareholders We used to do this all the time....and when your missing your numbers....well...you know.

Safe travels!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:13 pm

If it go to worse and worse hotel price will drop dramatically.
In previous politic event at rajprasong IIRC some guy show me that he stay on penninsula at rate 3,xxx THB/night. !Omg
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:14 pm
cxn

Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
I have friends in the City of Angels and they say that the protests are only going to get worse and worse in the New Year.

That said, Corporations in general love to use any excuse to lower potential earnings when they cannot be blamed by shareholders We used to do this all the time....and when your missing your numbers....well...you know.

Safe travels!
I was there at the start of the protests and there were no issues where I stayed. That being said, the hotels were sitting at ~50% occupancy yet refused to lower their rates. If you want people to travel here again, the rates need to come down, IMHO.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by nongsom
The protest will come on 2nd week of jan 2014
every crossroads will take over by protesters and change road to walking street.
Only publictransportation,bus,train are allowed.
This event will take 10-20 days.
It will take effect to all hotel guest in bangkok -_-'
cab will not work,BTS and MRT will full (protesters and OL,SM) like 22-Dec-2013
My recommend SPG properties to stay for this event is hotel that near BTS in bangkok
SGS WGS 4P STR
! Translate from thai news website (manager.co.th)
!! Sorry for my poor english -_-'
Thanks. Any problems expected in Phuket at all?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Well, I'm booked in Bangkok til Jan 7... would like to stay longer, but I'll wait to see how these protests affect the Sukhumvit area first.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
Thanks. Any problems expected in Phuket at all?
No effect in phuket
if it happen in phuket it maybe only on town hall area but very low chance
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:21 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
As category changes are impacted but future outlook, should be interesting to see what happens in BKK categorization.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:22 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Mr Pehl said the heart of Bangkok is very much full for Starwood. Outer Bangkok is still open, but not many companies are interested in investing in hotels in the area, as there are no skytrain or subway...
Too bad the heart of BKK is full! I find it surprising Sathorn is not on the roadmap.

Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines are the three major beach resort destinations for Starwood.
Oh, really?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
In previous politic event at rajprasong IIRC some guy show me that he stay on penninsula at rate 3,xxx THB/night. !Omg
I stayed at peninsula also at that rate. I think it will not happen again. Peninsula was making a "lost"
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I got a good rate at hi suk. It even beats 4p and alodt which i used to stay. And the rate i booked is premier room some more
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:39 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by remymartin
Too bad the heart of BKK is full! I find it surprising Sathorn is not on the roadmap.
The Eastin Grand Sathorn was supposed to be a Four Points. I imagine they are keeping their eyes open for opportunities in Sathorn.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Exclamation

I don't QUITE know how to break this to you.

You can easily find very good hotels in Bangkok for less than 2000 THB/night. Even during High Season. (My personal favorite does have an elevated rate for New Years Eve. So does everyone else.)

No, they aren't Big Name Chain hotels, and they aren't RIGHT on the main thoroughfares. They DO take good care of their guests, and they DO remember their repeat guests.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I have a trip planned in April, during Songkran. Hopefully these protests don't continue THAT long and the political issues are resolved by then. Will definitely be paying close attention though while this happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.