Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Portland Harborview, Portland, Maine [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Portland Harborview, Portland, Maine [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I am on the tail end of a two night stay here. As others have stated, it's a nice hotel. Has a NYC vibe in Portland, ME. Some notes...

- Hotel rooms this week are running a stunning $350/nt. it's a cool town but that price is pretty high for the area. That being said, the hotel is close to sold out so people are paying. I stayed on points (10,000).

- I'm a PLT100. Was "upgraded" to the 14th floor (with Fam of 4 so 2 doubles). Rooms on even side of hall (I was 1422) were small. Son was going to crash on floor and no space. Went downstairs to see if they could get me into something a little bigger. He said rooms on "odd" side were bigger but had to move me to a lower floor. No problem. Moved me to 829 and the room was much more roomy. Tried to use SNAs but they were all sold out. Happy with room I got. Thankful for switch.

- Breakfast was great. Let my family of 4 eat anything off the menu and all was covered, including tip. The bill for my wife and I was $62. Paid $0 but left an extra tip. The food was very very good.

- Parking.... Valet like $25 per day. Garage down street $20 per day. It's a head scratcher how expensive the parking is here. Portland is a small city. I timed it right and parked right on the street outside the hotel for $0. Never had an issue finding a spot.

- The Neighborhood... The neighborhood is a tad sketchy. It's a solid 10 min walk to the old port. Though parts of the area run down, I never felt unsafe. There are some good hole-in-the-wall eateries and bars close by. Quite hopping on Friday. I will say there's a lot of "transients" in the neighborhood but no probs.

My son and I walked to the Portland Sea Dogs stadium and caught a AA baseball game. Great atmosphere. Easy walk. Under a mile.

- Old Port... Is pretty cool. Lots of shops, eats, and drinks. Like I said, it's a little walk down there but when you get there it's good to explore.

- Service... Service was very good. Front desk was a little slow but hotel was close to full. All there were friendly and helpful. They gave me a hand written card with a drink coupon and free appetizer coupon in it. Unfortunately did not get to use. Running around too much.

Overall, it's a very nice hotel, service was good, food was good, and it's in a decent location. Neighborhood is a little strange but it's central to old port, stadium, and some cool older neighborhoods. Freeport outlets are worth trip but wife blew a lot of $$$.

Not sure I'd pay $350/nt but it's worth the 10,000 points. 12,000 would be pushing it IMO. The Cities if Portsmouth NH (Sheraton) and Portland (Westin) have similar qualities (colonial seaport towns with cool downtowns). It's a toss-up on which city I like more. Portland has more going on but Portsmouth is like a throwback to the 1700s.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:36 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Just stayed here for the weekend. As others have said, it is a great use of SPG points for summer weekend stays when the cash rates are very high. Booked a standard room and did not receive any upgrade, which was not a surprise as the hotel was nearly sold out for the weekend.

The good:

The physical property is really gorgeous. The renovation was done extremely well (arguably a bit too well, in that you would never realize it's a classic old hotel from 1927 -- in just about every way it seems like a new build from the inside), and it is much nicer than any other new North American Westin I've stayed at over the past few years.

In particular, they did a great job making the public spaces of the hotel and the rooms feel warm and welcoming, whereas some newer Westins come off as cold and sterile -- I'm thinking of the Westin Montreal in particular, with its stark white rooms and monochromatic public spaces. The rooms have both the advantages of being a new property (lots of easily accessible outlets, good plumbing) and some above-and-beyond touches (even in the lowest room category the bathroom was very nice and had a rainfall showerhead).

The rooftop lounge is also quite nice, though $13-15 cocktails is definitely quite a bit more expensive than the prevailing standard in Portland. As others have noted the Old Port is not immediately nearby but neither is it too far; basically all of central Portland is easily walkable (in the summer at least). There are several very good restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel.

The bad:

The service here could use some work:

The valet always seemed to be a disorganized mess, and they really mean it when they say it will take at least 20 minutes to get your car.

At check-in, I asked about a late check-out, which should have been allowed both on the basis of my Gold status, and because I was checking out on a Sunday and the whole Westin Weekend thing. The agent, who had otherwise been very friendly and did acknowledge my Gold status, simply said "I'm new, I don't really know anything about that, you'll have to ask someone else." I guess she got points for honesty? I later asked Service Express and it was no problem, though we did get a call at 2:30pm on Sunday asking when we were planning to leave. All a bit messy.

The check-out experience was similarly awkward. The agent read off the various charges on my bill rather than printing a copy, maybe because the hotel was trying to be green? There were a few Internet charges, which I pointed out should not have been there since I selected that as my Gold amenity (I did not even try to explain to the check-in agent that I should anyway have had free Internet as a Delta Diamond Medallion). The agent did not apologize or even say anything at all, just typed for a minute and then said "I've sent your final bill to your email" in a way that suggested I was dismissed. As with late checkout, the end result was fine (he had indeed removed the charges), but it should have been handled a bit more graciously.

That said, the few negatives aren't a dealbreaker; this is is still a great hotel, a huge step up from the previous prevailing standard in Portland, and probably the best hotel in the state of Maine. But it seems Marriott's Autograph Collection is opening a nice-looking boutique down the street next year, so the competition is definitely stepping up.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:34 am

Anyone know why the suites aren't bookable online? I just tried to book them online for October 17-19, but I called in and they were bookable.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by colerc
it seems Marriott's Autograph Collection is opening a nice-looking boutique down the street next year, so the competition is definitely stepping up.
I live here in Portland and hadn't heard about this yet. I know that there are a few high end boutique developments underway and perhaps one of them has recently aligned with Marriott's Autograph brand -- if so, that's great news. I just hadn't heard about it and can't find anything on the interwebs confirming it.

Any chance you have additional details?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:38 am

Just finished a two night stay. Had a wonderful time. SNA failed to clear (stayed on top floor with a half-decent view), but it looked like the hotel was full.

Didn't eat at the restaurant (C2) or have breakfast at the hotel but did check out the Top of the East lounge. Nice views but man drinks were expensive (cocktails $13-$15 per drink).

Room was spacious and efficient. Nice touch by having outlets in the lamp by the bed. Service was excellent, particularly the concierge (Harold) - had some wonderful ideas about exploring Portland. The freebie apples in the lobby were tasty as well.

Parking is $24 per night with the valet. We never used the car after initially parking it with the valet until checkout.

Area is relatively safe even late at night, and it is a 10 minute walk to the port and all of its assorted fun and games. If you are looking to stay closer to the port, there are closer hotels (Marriott, Hyatt House, Holiday Inn). Marriott is building an Autograph Collection hotel about 2 blocks or so from the port in addition to the existing Courtyard and Residence Marriotts already there; I believe it was scheduled to open in mid-2015-early-2016.

Overall, would stay again.

I think it would be nice if SPG changed the SNAs so that a certain number (up to 5 maybe?) would be confirmed at the time of booking. It sucks playing the waiting game of the SNA to clear.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:55 am

delete
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Just stayed here, initially for 1 night, then after UA flights to EWR cancelled on Mar. 3, I was back for one more night. As others have posted, the hotel is very nice, one of the best Westins in the US.

I was upgraded the first night for a suite on 12th floor 1228, and then a different suite 603 the second night. I used the hotel shuttle to/from the airport. I also used the shuttle to the harbor for dinner. This was very convenient and saved me from having to park a rental car at the hotel.

I did not consult this thread before the trip so I wasn't aware of the Plat breakfast, so I selected 500 points the first night. I had a colleague the second night, so I asked about the breakfast amenity and was told full breakfast. This morning at breakfast, the server said Plat breakfast was anything on the menu. The total for the two of us was $45 plus tip. Coffee was good, but cappuccino wasn't nearly as good. The only other SPG hotel I've been to that offered Plat full breakfast from everything on the a la carte menu was St. Regis Florence. Needless to say, Plat breakfast amenity is highly recommended. Dinner at C2 was very good.

Service was very good. Everyone was friendly, FD, shuttle drivers, bell, servers at C2.

Good upgrade, good service, excellent Plat breakfast. I would consider this as one of the best Westin in the US, if not the best, everything considered.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:22 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Not sure if previous posters got lucky or if policy has changed, but as of a stay over the holidays I was given $16 per person as the Platinum breakfast credit (with no top-up for tax or tip as some properties do). Mains like crabcake benedict or a smoked salmon bagel were in the $15-17 range, but you do then have to pay tax and tip on top of that, as well as for anything else (a cup of coffee was $4 per person). Similar to what a lot of other North American properties do but worse than what it sounds like was the previous practice.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: SPG Plat(100), Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Avis First, United Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
Not sure if previous posters got lucky or if policy has changed, but as of a stay over the holidays I was given $16 per person as the Platinum breakfast credit (with no top-up for tax or tip as some properties do). Mains like crabcake benedict or a smoked salmon bagel were in the $15-17 range, but you do then have to pay tax and tip on top of that, as well as for anything else (a cup of coffee was $4 per person). Similar to what a lot of other North American properties do but worse than what it sounds like was the previous practice.
We stayed over the weekend of December 12th and still had unlimited breakfast. The lobster omelet is amazing! We had a total bill of approx 76$ and all waived, no tip included.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bgriff
Mains like crabcake benedict or a smoked salmon bagel were in the $15-17 range, but you do then have to pay tax and tip on top of that, as well as for anything else (a cup of coffee was $4 per person).
To be fair, crabcake benedict or salmon bagel are well beyond what one typically finds in the American version of Continental breakfast.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:34 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
To be fair, crabcake benedict or salmon bagel are well beyond what one typically finds in the American version of Continental breakfast.
Yes, agreed, and not really complaining -- though I guess I should be more clear, it was not totally clear from the menu whether you could actually obtain a "full" continental breakfast for $16 either. At the very least I suspect you'd end up having to pay tax and tip out of pocket.

Originally Posted by tvervenne
We stayed over the weekend of December 12th and still had unlimited breakfast. The lobster omelet is amazing! We had a total bill of approx 76$ and all waived, no tip included.
Interesting that you had a more generous treatment. The card we received did not specify what it was good for and we had the same waitress both days we went to breakfast so perhaps treatment varies from day to day or employee to employee.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:43 am

I was pleased with this hotel in many ways and the location is in walking distance to the key attractions in Portland. Glad to see SPG with a presence downtown. That said, just a heads up that late checkout for Gold and Platinum members at this property is subject to availability as they don't comply with the published elite benefit (tbd if this is the hotel making up their own interpretation of the policy or if it's because the hotel is considered a resort/conference center). So definitely make plans to checkout by noon on the dot, as the hotel has no flexibility for elite members during high occupancy periods.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would suspect that they don't give late checkouts to elites even during low occupancy periods.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
In a not-large property - 289 rooms - a decent proportion of gold/plats with 4PM checkouts kills 3PM check-ins. The property doesn't get an exemption from the benefit, however.

Persons not satisfied with the Westin in Portland can see a great example of Starwood market weakness (the sole Starwood property within 50 miles) and Marriott's depth in Portland.

an Autograph Collection property 0.6 miles from the Westin

a Courtyard 0.6 miles from the Westin

a Res Inn 1.1 miles from the Westin

In S. Portland and Scarborough (within 7.0 miles) one will find a FS Marriott, another Courtyard, a Fairfield Inn, and another Res Inn. Complain to SPG or take your business elsewhere. That Westin isn't such a prize that it can get away with nonsense long term.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Is having just one property in a location as small as Portland, Maine really a market weakness ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.