Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Prince De Galles, Luxury Collection, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-and-stay-2199
Print Wikipost

Prince De Galles, Luxury Collection, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Just completed a two day cash and points stay. Got an upgraded room (using SNA) to a Macassar suite (8th floor internal room), a wonderful two room suite with a sitting area (couch plus desk, including bathroom and shower) and a bedroom (large bath). I was greeted by the manager at check in. The woman at the desk accompanied me up to the room (partially to unlock the interior windows) and show me the room. I took breakfast in the dining room the first day (some a la carte stuff...fruit and yogurt) and was encouraged to order room service the second day (early check out).

Breakfast service was a bit erratic (my waiter seemed young and not quite sure of what he was doing) but otherwise a lovely stay, with friendly front desk and other personnel.

Evidently during the first days of COP21 (climate talks) Ave George V was closed and guests had to walk from the Champs Elysees but no problem on my stay.

A great stay and I'll try to come back.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Stayed here for two nights in January using only points (30k a night) and was told at check in that we were given a Makassar Suite (I believe 301) that faced the street. Hotel was stunning, and the service was on par. When we got stuck in Paris due to snow in NYC they did everything they could to extend our stay an extra night (it was fashion week) but when this proved not possible they helped get us a beautiful room at the W which was also considered sold out. I would go back to Paris just to visit this property again and to have drinks in their bar, Les Heures.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 5:57 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by thenumblehigwoo
1) for the base rooms, is there an appreciable difference in the room sizes? Not just the square footage but the layouts? Or is this an unanswerable question because each room is different? I'm also not going to Paris with the expectation that we are going to have huge rooms - I know the rooms in general are smaller compared to other places.
I've never been in the base rooms at either PH or PdG, since usually upgraded or booked higher suites (usually with points). My guess is that they'd be comparable. PH Vendome website lists standard rooms 26-30 sq mtrs, PdG website lists standard (including deluxe) rooms 22-38 sq mtrs. So you can guess that there may be a slight edge to PH.

2) Which location is "better" for a first time tourist who, on this short trip, really only has time to hit the highlights?
This depends on you. I think both are great, but I have personal preference for the Vendome area, even though I love the PdG. That is why I most often stay at the Westin Vendome, actually--since you'll see my service review on PH soon! I think you should look up the sights/restaurants you want to visit most, and then map it out on Google Maps. You can do this EASILY to decide if one is better located than the other. If even, pick the cheaper or one most likely to upgrade you. You can't go wrong--it's Paris.

3) How does the PH Vendome compare to Park Hyatt Istanbul (we loved our stay in Istanbul but I get the sense that the PH Vendome style is a bit more classic?)
The PH Vendome is not in the same league as the PH Istanbul. We also loved the PH Istanbul, preferring it over the FS Bosphorus. The new StR had not yet opened, so we weren't able to see that. We had fantastic service and a tremendous upgrade at the PH Istanbul, great food/beverage. The PH Vendome is less service-oriented and more stiff, less impressive all-around IMO. I actually choose the nearby and better service/friendlier Westin Vendome over the PH Vendome regularly as a result. I actually choose the Westin more often than the PdG because I love the Vendome area the most, but that won't necessarily be true for you.

4) What is the style of PDG? My wife and I loved our stays at Royal Hawaiian and Westin Palace, not necessarily because the hotels/rooms were the greatest but because both hotels have a classy/historical air about them. I have the sense that PDG is probably a much better property than either of these, but any frame of reference comparison would be really helpful.
All of the PH, PdG and even the Westin Vendome are nice properties. PdG is Art Deco--and beautifully done. PH is more modern and sterile, another reason we're not as fond of it. (One reason I'm not fond of some FS is that they could be anywhere; this is true of the PH Vendome IMO.) ALL of these Paris properties are VASTLY superior in every way to the Hawaiian hotels you just listed. NO CONTEST. If you like a hotel to feel more Parisian, though, I think the Westin Vendome (more traditional Parisian) and PdG (Art Deco Parisian) are the winners.

In the end, there is not just one. All of these are very nice hotels. I DESPISE the FS George V in Paris--too much blue hair for me, too formal and stiff in its feel for me. But mot people LOVE that hotel. So it's all relative...and you can't go wrong!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I've never stayed in a Paris hotel in July. For those who experienced the Prince de Galles during that month, could you report the type of guests that were staying at the hotel?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Um. Hot ones?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not fashion week or world cup soccer, so I'd expect an international mix, perhaps with more families with kids than at other times of the year. August is the traditional vacation month in France when most business ceases and everyone goes to vacation destinations.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not fashion week or world cup soccer, so I'd expect an international mix, perhaps with more families with kids than at other times of the year. August is the traditional vacation month in France when most business ceases and everyone goes to vacation destinations.
A good international mix can be good. A too large proportion of families from the Gulf, escaping the summer heat of their countries, can be awkward in Paris.

Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:49 am

I am wondering what peoples recent experiences are with this property. I have booked with points (30,000 per night), for my dates, there were no points and cash option or option for booking any larger rooms/suites with points. Are upgrades often granted or available for additional cash at check-in? If not, were you satisfied with the basic room? I will be traveling as a single, mid-October 2017. Currently Plat, likely Gold on arrival date.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
I stayed here in January of 2015 using points and was gold at the time. Was upgraded to a Makassar suite as we were celebrating a milestone birthday a few months early. About a week before arrival they send you an email asking you to pre-register your passport, etc. which is how they learned of my birthday.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:24 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Experiences with the concierge team?

We will be staying here for 3 nights to celebrate my husband's 60th as a surprise. Anyone have experience using the concierge team for luxury restaurant and experience planning?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton Inner Circle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
We will be staying here for 3 nights to celebrate my husband's 60th as a surprise. Anyone have experience using the concierge team for luxury restaurant and experience planning?
I went to the Prince de Galles last December and utilized the concierge team to help plan my proposal to my now fiancee and some celebratory activities. I do have an ambassador that I used to start the planning process, but for the details of planning the proposal I worked directly with the concierge team and they were GREAT!

I also used my ambassador to make some luxury dining reservations at restaurants that I otherwise would not have been able to secure a reservation at. I could see that she used the concierge team at the hotel to secure them without a problem.

I have stayed at the Prince de Galles twice now and it is one of my favorite Starwood properties in the world. The service there is outstanding and the hotel is gorgeous. I highly recommend it.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
Originally Posted by BluHorseshoe

I have stayed at the Prince de Galles twice now and it is one of my favorite Starwood properties in the world. The service there is outstanding and the hotel is gorgeous. I highly recommend it.
I'll add my $0.02:

I totally agree. One of my favorite SPG properties.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
I'll add my $0.02, stayed there over Xmas in 2015, and it was absolutely fantastic.

Service was great, breakfast (Especially the xmas breakfast) was great, room (Mosaic Suite) was great, etc.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent stays/ reviews here? Going on vacation here soon for a week w family. Any suggestions on whether to organize day trips via concierge or elsewhere, especially looking for kid friendly ones to teach my kid on Louvre etc.? Thanks in advance for any suggestions on kid friendly tour guides.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Any recent stays/ reviews here? Going on vacation here soon for a week w family. Any suggestions on whether to organize day trips via concierge or elsewhere, especially looking for kid friendly ones to teach my kid on Louvre etc.? Thanks in advance for any suggestions on kid friendly tour guides.
We stayed at the Prince de Galles with my 8 and 10 year old. It was in a great location and wonderful hotel with kids. We had an amazing tour of the Louvre with this company https://parismuse.com/tours/paris-mu...s-louvre-tour/
They created a scavenger hunt that was both fun and educational. Our tour guide was Ollie. If you can, ask for him. Young Australian guy who was both funny and very smart. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.