Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Hotel email: [email protected]

MRT:
  • Shenton Way (TE19) -- note, the Exit Directory lists exit 3 for the Westin, but exit 4 will pop you out right by the front door.
  • Downtown (DT17) -- exit E
See post #492 for current welcome letter detailing benefits and lounge hours.
Print Wikipost

Westin Singapore [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
recent 5 nights stay

I just finished my 5 nights stay at Westin Singapore.. Some feedback..

1) I used 5th night free + 35% off code (plat renewal), 31,200 pts. It worked well, but with normal point redemption, I won't go back. It's very crappy hotel with cheap management, in my opinion.

2) I received a sea view room (maybe premier since it's higher floor). But, it's basically port view room (#4301). I could see the ocean, but mostly what I saw is cargos at the port.. Also, many constructions are ongoing, so it would be blocked with tall buildings soon.

3) Shower booth made consistent flood. Asked repair twice, but it didn't work. Didn't change room either.

4) Breakfast in the restaurant is very low quality.. not many options.. I liked breakfast in the lounge more.

5) I had two guests for evening cocktail hours one night, had a bottle of beer and a few crappy food. It charged me $150++.. Anomalous expensive..

6) Getting taxi is pretty tough. I usually walk 1 min to Asian Square Tower #1 and bunch of taxies are waiting there.

7) I did green choice 3 out of 5 nights. THe problem is after they gave me a voucher, they never return the "green choice" tag. I had to ask it every night over the phone. On my 3rd day, they compelled cleaning my room due to the policy. As I know, I could keep 3 consecutive nights, but it seems 2 here. And the points of 1500 are not stacked at this moment. I had to ask them to post them manually.

8) Overall, the staffs were very courteous and friendly. But, in many cases, they were not helpful. Just kept saying "sorry" when I asked something..

9) MRT is still in waling distance, but barely marginal during summer.. Raffles place (EW) and downtown (DTL)

10) Other general condition of the hotel was so so. average level of Asian Westin properties. Not impressive at all. No location premium either.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: MP 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott G, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I was able to take the airport hotel shuttle for my approximate 0030 Changi arrival and ended up checking in to the hotel around 0200.
Thanks for the update! I didn't see the hotel on the Changi Shuttle hotel list, but it hasn't been updated since April 14th. Good to know it's finally on the list ^!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Traveling to Singapore for the first time and looking for some help. I'm torn between the Westin and the Grand Hyatt, definitely a #firstworldproblem. Has anyone stayed at both and can comment?

From what I've gathered, the Westin is in a business district so the main touristy type attractions aren't as close though there's an MRT station about 10 minutes away.

The Grand Hyatt is in a much more central location right by high end shopping on orchard raod. The hotel isn't as new as the Westin, but the staff is friendly, and it's right by an MRT stop.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I've had dinner at the Hyatt and stayed at the Westin. What's your actual question? What are you looking for?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by remymartin
I've had dinner at the Hyatt and stayed at the Westin. What's your actual question? What are you looking for?
Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out which one I should stay at based on people who have actually stayed at both.

Location is an important factor, as I plan to do the tourist thing while there. I have status at both so elite benefits are negligible.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by cshel
Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out which one I should stay at based on people who have actually stayed at both.

Location is an important factor, as I plan to do the tourist thing while there. I have status at both so elite benefits are negligible.
If it's only location, then it's a no-brainer - GH. The St Regis is in the same viscinity as the GH so I'm wondering why you're even contemplating the Westin. Even the Sheraton is walkable from GH, the Westin not so.

The Westin has nothing in its immediate viscinity, unlike the 3 other properties I've mentioned. It is therefore not typically suited for a first-timer.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From the Westin, it's an easy walk to Chinatown or the MBS area, including the Fullerton and the new science museum. You're also a block or so from Satay Street and a historic hawker center that was closed for renovation. IIRC it's reopened but I haven't been there recently to check this out.

The best shopping area is more in the middle of Orchard Road, not on the end close to StR and the Grand Hyatt.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:57 am
Original Poster

First time visit? GH, simply for location.

Having said that, Westin isn't that much out of the way, and SIN being so small, neither hotel is so far from the touristy things that you would find it hard to get where you want to.

Westin is a new hotel. I like it. I've stayed.

Hyatt is older and I've never stayed but it IS one of the grand old hotels in SIN. It's restaurants are very popular, and it's very central.

You could compare it to staying in Times Square vs Hoboken, something I just did :P...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Just finished a 3 day stay there.

Was on 42 on the SPG floor. Room had a kinked foyer that led to a corner room with floor to ceiling windows on each side. Neat.

Noticed the BOSE radio was taken out as well as the Nespresso machine I had on past visits. Or was it just the room I was assigned...?

Clock radio was updated to a recent iHome model with thunderbolt connector. Good one!

Service was fine otherwise. There was an older gent in the restaurant that made me fresh waffles during breakfast ^. You can get your omlette made with fresh cut chilis. Just enough heat to start the day.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Just back from my first, brief stay at this property.

First Room assigned was pretty much a bust with a view over the port area as some other mentioned above. Declined.

I asked for a Bay View Room and waited at the lounge until appr 3pm when it was ready. Fair enough, room was nice! Unfortunately when i shut off the a/c a strong sewage smell occurred and I had to change the room in the middle of the night.

Received another room type with a city view, interestingly this room had a couch unlike the previous two. Room itself was nice but noise from construction around the hotel woke me up at 8am.

I'm a bit irritated by so many different room furnishings and layouts to be honest. They should have kept that somewhat similar IMHO.

I was impressed by the professional management and the overall nice staff. Big plus here. Stayed at the Grand Hyatt a few nights before which has become a complete disaster during the past years.

The Westin Executive Lounge was also quiet decent with good F&B as well as service. The afternoon had a nice Black Forest Cake, then for dinner a large spread of items. Breakfast was decent as well. Completely satisfied.

Will definitely return, the location is great for me as well. ^
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:22 am
Original Poster

For those who might need this, just saw this served up as a banner ad while surfing FT:

"Join in the celebration with our exclusively crafted 1st anniversary room package.

Book 3 nights or more and enjoy every third night of your stay at SGD1++.

Inclusions:
. All guests staying over 12 November 2014 receive a first anniversary gift of mini football signed per room by the Liverpool Legends.
. First 50 bookings of stays over 15 November 2014 receives a pair of tournament tickets per room to catch the one-match tournament between the former Liverpool and Singapore footballing heroes.
. Complimentary in-room Internet access
. Complimentary use of spa facilities at Heavenly Spa by Westin™
. Valid for bookings between 20 October 2014 and 23 November 2014 and stays between 1 November 2014 and 30 December 2014.

*Minimum length of stay of 3 consecutive nights is required."

Glanced at a rate for a standard room mid-Dec -> $390 x 2 for 3 nights pre-tax = $260 SGD/night. Which is about $30 less than the usual Hot Escapes rate. Fully pre-paid though...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question contact for Westin Singapore

I read this entire thread. Does anyone have a hotel contact (to request upgrades?)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:52 am

Weekend Stay

We were already in Singapore a year ago when the Westin opened, and walked over a couple of times for tea in the lobby lounge on the 32nd floor.

It is stylish and comfortable with a great view, and we met the GM, Lance, who was very polite and gave us a tour.

Almost a year later we were in Singapore again, enroute between longer stays in China/Vietnam, and were pleased to have the opportunity to stay at this Westin.

The GM was away on leave, but we had a very friendly reception by the front office manager, Miguel (Spanish chap with German accent) who upgraded us to a corner executive suite on 43rd floor overlooking the swimming pool and ocean on one side and the cbd on the other.

Our Ambassador had been in contact before our arrival, and in the room was a very nice selection of fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) and nuts (almonds, cashews) -- which we had mentioned we liked in an email a few years ago !

The staff at Westin Singapore are all friendly and helpful, including at the club lounge, breakfast, and ground-floor (for luggage + taxis).

The main breakfast is extensive (not unusual in Asia) and higher quality than comparable properties in China.

The mini muffins with cream fillings (two flavours) are truly amazing quality in the moist texture and taste. The hotel should sell these separately at the downstairs deli !

The rooftop infinity pool area on 35th floor is quite nice (same view as from our suite).

On the negative side, the colour scheme with dark brown carpets in the long hallways and brown furniture in the rooms is sad and depressing. Really cannot understand why any designer would choose this over fresher/lighter colours.

Also, the executive suite layout is actually not great -- wasted space with two small hallways before reaching the small living room, and the bathroom is relatively tight. The total usable size is notably smaller than other new Westins in China.

A surprising point is that the lounge does not allow children/infants -- it is really aimed at business guests. This was our first encounter with such a policy at any SPG property.

To be fair, it was not quite so troublesome for us with the 1-year baby as we could still step through the lounge to the rooftop pool area, and were invited to enjoy the club food at the tables outside. The staff frequently came out to bring drinks.

In China we normally have breakfast in the club lounges (which are quieter), but in this case although we had to go to the main restaurant we ended up quite happy because the larger selection of healthy food was good quality (and those mini muffins were fabulous).

The 3-day weekend was booked on the hotel website under a 3-for-2 offer using a MasterCard. The actual discounted rate for that period worked out to just SGD 220++ per day, which was very reasonable. Anyway, weekend rates in Singapore are almost always much less than weekday rates.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I just had a very enjoyable 2 night stay at this property.

Although I was not upgraded to a larger room, I was given one on the club floor which was very well appointed (loved the Nespresso machine) and comfortable.

For breakfast, I was given a choice of the club lounge or the restaurant breakfast. I had a quick look at the lounge and would have been happy with that, but the restaurant buffet was phenomenal. Extremely wide choice and tasty foods.

I stopped one evening at the lounge for cocktails & snacks, and again was impressed by what was on offer. The lounge was not too busy.

The infinity pool is wonderful with gorgeous views, and the gym was adequate and open 24/7.

In terms of location, it is right next to the Downtown MRT station and there are a few restaurants and bars around the hotel in the Asia Square complex. There is also a hawker center a 2min walk away towards Raffles Plaza.

In short, I enjoyed it and will return with Cash & Points. Not sure if I'd pay the $450+ rate in effect during my stay dates.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by polarpacific

A surprising point is that the lounge does not allow children/infants -- it is really aimed at business guests. This was our first encounter with such a policy at any SPG property.

To be fair, it was not quite so troublesome for us with the 1-year baby as we could still step through the lounge to the rooftop pool area, and were invited to enjoy the club food at the tables outside. The staff frequently came out to bring drinks.
Not uncommon in Asia but very uncommon alternative accommodation. For example, Westin Seoul allows families with lounge access to eat at Aria buffet restaurant instead of lounge. Westin Singapore sends families with lounge privileges outside to eat in blazing heat/humidity by the pool? I'd complaint to Corporate Customer Service and/or Lurkers, that's just not a proper accommodation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.