Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, Dominican Republic [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, Dominican Republic [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:10 am

Great feedback bhq, thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: SPG, Ritz Carlton Rewards
Frustrated With This Hotel- Any Advice?

Having some difficulties cancelling a stay at this resort.

At first I just wanted to move the reservation, but was told I was outside of the cancellation window when I called. 3 SPG platinum line calls (where they promised to call the hotel & email them) & 2 international calls later I looked at my original email - which stated I could cancel up to 3 days prior (tomorrow for my stay starting on the 27th).

Since then I've been asked to send my cancellation email daily to a variety of people within SPG's social media, the hotel, the punta cana resort (I assume they're manager/owners). Today an SPG Platinum line manager called the hotel & within minutes I received a new email confirming my stay... And saying the cancellation window was now passed and any changes would result in a fee.

If I wasn't out of town & holiday shopping I'd just cancel all credit cards associated with my SPG account. But that would be a hassle & frankly I shouldn't have to do that since I've provided proof.

After 10 days of this nonsense I'm at a loss. You guys have a wealth of experience - what do you suggest for next steps?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:04 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
If anyone's got any intel, it'd be much appreciated. I just booked a 5-night stay for a few days from now and I'm debating whether to apply suite nights. I would definitely do it if there were a decent description of what I'd be getting (instead of simply "executive suite" or "suite"). Platinum chat offline for Christmas. I might have to dust off the Spanish and try calling. I'll report back on what I do and how it is when I get back.

Happy holidays!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
staying here 28-31 actually till 30 and need that extra night just went dark last night when I was booking! ugh will report back.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:08 pm

ok short story this property needs work.

1. Opened on Dec 20 and I was there 28-31. So they didn't have but a week or so to fix issues so I'll cut them some slack, however there are issues.

2. Location - Very good location has a patch of private beach and the last one going north on this beach thus you have a kite beach area which I think is public right next to westin beach but nothing to the north. Golf course maybe 1/2 mile down the beach is all. Very close to airport the maybe 5-7 minute drive.

3. Transport - hotel doesn't offer shuttle to and from airport at all, you must pay the $20 taxi mafia for the 5 minutes ride to Westin. Total BS if you ask me but whatever you can't walk so rent a car where there is free parking on site, or pay the fiddler.

4. Check in - only 3 computers to check people in and they were overwhelmed. Need faster check in process or more stations. No separate gold/plat check in that I could see.

5. Rooms - received a standard room (no suite for plat upgrade and missed on my SNA request) but great view. I think all rooms have a view of some of the ocean but ours was on the 3rd floor right over the lobby so we got a great straight on view of the pool and backdrop beach/ocean. Great views here and as I said you can get a view from any room that isn't on the ground floor. Bed was standard heavenly bed which is nice, room has tile throughout so it was a little less comfortable imo as I prefer carpet in the bed area. Shower was rainhead with decent water pressure. There is no door or private area for the bathroom. It is right off the main door and no privacy for anyone using the toilet. Balcony was large and impressive for our room. 2 chairs and a table.

6. Breakfast - you could go to the buffet in the restaurant or the beachside option restaurant. 12 noon they stop serving on weekends and 11 on weekdays. We found out the hard way it was 11 on weekdays. Very disappointing to say the least. First plat breakfast is continental which only is breads and fruits with juice, nothing else. They charge an upgrade for full buffet which I think is 10 USD Per person and we did it. English is a major problem through the food outlets i general. In the 6 meals we had there, 4 of the 6 times we had the wrong item and my companion spoke spanish even. Don't know what they can do outside of using numbers for ordering as they clearly don't have a grasp for those taking orders. Overall the 20 full buffet could be ok, but the food gets cold as the day goes and they didn't keep the flies away from the buffet items which is a real problem IMO.

7. Bar - drinks are reasonable with mixed drinks 8-10 bucks and non alcoholic ones 4-6. Nice staff at this location with good english skills which helps a great deal.

8. Workout room - they have it 24 hours but very small. Primarily cardio which is fine and some dumbells with one machine. With the size you can't do much more.

9. Room service - Food was ok and reasonably priced for being room service. They charge 18% tax/service charge plus $5 room service charge for everything so be aware.

10. Pool - pretty nice with 2 kid areas with infinity edge on one of them. They have a decent amount of chairs around. My only complaint was that the whirlpool, which was very large could fit 20 people was not hot. Not sure if it was not heating properly but that needed fixing.

11. Beach - They issue a towel control card which must be redeemed for a towel each time and handed back to you. You have to give it upon checkout or it's 35 bucks. Not a bad system, but you have to remember to bring it with you all the time when you go to pool or beach. Quite a few chairs/umbrellas on the beach which was welcomed although they could have someone help reserve these ahead of time for it was a free for all taking chairs, moving them when someone wasn't there etc. Very nice white sand beach that had guys come by each afternoon and rake up any seaweed washed ashore. They also had food/beverage service from the beachside restaurant but they were overwhelmed and don't write down your order and forget things or get it wrong. MUCH needs to be done about this as the few staff are overwhelmed. They need to assign areas to staff and make them write down items.

12. Checkout - very confusing looking at the bill for they itemize the 10% service charge and 8% tax on every damn item. You get tired of looking at it and i used a pen to itemize every three lines just to focus.

13. would I be back? I got 2 days on cash and points and the third on cash rate all in of about $350. I like having a punta cana option for sure on the beach but they have to work out their restaurant issues and english issues which is hard to compensate for with the staff employed IMO. If I do come back it wouldn't be at the cash rate I can tell you that as all inclusive rates at some places are around 300-400 if you go for a package.

Hope you enjoy the property.

Last edited by schley; Jan 1, 2014 at 8:46 am
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:42 pm

Thanks for this very thorough response. Hopefully things are improving, otherwise it's going to be a very long week.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Thanks for the review...was just about to pull the trigger on a trip there tonight, but this gives me significant pause...looking to go with my wife and 2 kids (7 and 9) and not really sure this sounds ready for prime time.

One quick question for schley if you don't mind...is it crowded at the resort? When you say "overwhelmed" I get the impression of a ton of people...is that the case?

Really want to have a suite with my kids being there....hmmmm...not so sure this is gonna be the place for us!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:49 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I was ready to book, as well. Now I think I'll wait for a few more reports.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Thanks for the review...was just about to pull the trigger on a trip there tonight, but this gives me significant pause...looking to go with my wife and 2 kids (7 and 9) and not really sure this sounds ready for prime time.

One quick question for schley if you don't mind...is it crowded at the resort? When you say "overwhelmed" I get the impression of a ton of people...is that the case?

Really want to have a suite with my kids being there....hmmmm...not so sure this is gonna be the place for us!
In regards to all chairs being taken and tables full etc., no not at all. You don't get the impression that it is wall to wall people it is the wait times you have when in a line for anything or simply want service. You are on the beach and there are maybe 2-3 guys who are aimlessly walking around for 100 people for example. Do they have enough staff? I would say not sure, but I can say that the beach restaurant that serves the guests laying on the beach in chairs has about 3-6 people surrounding the one point of sales system at any one time. It is like a bee hive with staff just watching what is being done or waiting to have their own ticket put in etc.

I like the view, I like the beach, the rooms are pretty good (although no suite), prices of food/drink are reasonable for being isolated in punta cana, however the big issues are service and I didn't even mention housekeeping.

Housekeeping - sorry i forgot this. We left our room at 11 am our first morning for breakfast and returned at 12:30 with the room not being done. Called the desk who said they would have it done and returned at 6 without the room being made up. I called the desk and they said they would send someone. We were taking showers and someone came and I told them 15 more minutes and we will be gone. Go down to the bar, and 2 hours later just wanted to check to see if it was done and nope it wasn't. Went to front desk now at about 8:30 pm and they said they would send someone. Got to the room at 9:30 and they were just finishing up.

Next day went to breakfast at 10 and returned at 11 not done. Left and came back at 6 not done, called. No one came. Left at 7:30 pm and told front desk who said they would have someone clean. Went back up at 8:30 and no one, called and 2 minutes later a lady came to clean.

Really annoying as my thought is that there is no protocol in place to ensure rooms are being cleaned. The protocols in place to organize work to ensure services i don't think are there or are not being followed. PLEASE, PLEASE, management get these problems solved for I wouldn't go back until these service issues are resolved.

Oh btw because of the bill issue being itemized by price, 10% service charge, 8% tax, then any tip you have 3 or 4 lines for candy bar from the mini bar, I totally forgot to apply my platinum breakfast credit to the full buffet. I was trying to see if there were any big charges on there that shouldn't be and totally forgot to ask for this, but again they know I'm platinum and should apply this credit. The restaurant waitress told me that they apply the credit at check out, well they didn't and I forgot to ask to guess what? Because of a lack of protocol IMO I'm paying for a full buffet. Going to email them now and get that back for the buffet was disappointing regardless.

However I do like the property and think it will be a nice destination if they get these service issues solved which I think are much easier than building a nicer hotel, or moving it to a great location that they have. Great things going for it, but service needs to be upgraded asap to forgo a bad reputation.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
After allowing my better half to read the reviews...she looked out our window at all the snow blowing around and our driveway covered in it...she said just book it! We'll deal with whatever service issues they have, but it has to be better then this! :-)

So we are booked arriving on (Feb. 22nd, departing on the 26th).

I used my 35% discount and booked 4 nights for 41,600 points (couldn't swing the 5th day even though it would have been free). I'm going to try and upgrade to a suite...any advice how I should do this? Should I call ahead, or try at check in?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
I'm going in late February. Now I have a few concerns. I hope they get resolved by then.

There are no doors on the bathrooms? If you're there with a family of 4 no one has privacy using the toilet?

If breakfast stops at 11am during the week, does lunch start at 11am?

I understand they have a free shuttle to the shops located nearby, but with the hotel so close to the airport why wouldn't they use a "Free shuttle from the airport" as a selling feature?

And would you say that most of the guests are European or is it a mix of different nationalities? Do a number of guest sunbathe topless?

Do the nearby shops have any good restaurants?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
Btw...I'll be staying in an Ocean View Suite. Has anyone else stayed in a suite yet? It has about 780 sq. ft. with a separate living room. I'm hoping this bathroom has a door.

Oh...did they get the wireless access in the room fixed?

Last edited by Wisdom; Jan 1, 2014 at 4:42 pm Reason: grammer
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wisdom
I'm going in late February. Now I have a few concerns. I hope they get resolved by then.

There are no doors on the bathrooms? If you're there with a family of 4 no one has privacy using the toilet?

If breakfast stops at 11am during the week, does lunch start at 11am?

I understand they have a free shuttle to the shops located nearby, but with the hotel so close to the airport why wouldn't they use a "Free shuttle from the airport" as a selling feature?

And would you say that most of the guests are European or is it a mix of different nationalities? Do a number of guest sunbathe topless?

Do the nearby shops have any good restaurants?
It is a mix and I would say more american than european. No topless sunbathing when I was there, not like Bali.

Originally Posted by Wisdom
Btw...I'll be staying in an Ocean View Suite. Has anyone else stayed in a suite yet? It has about 780 sq. ft. with a separate living room. I'm hoping this bathroom has a door.

Oh...did they get the wireless access in the room fixed?
The wireless access at the hotel was another item that drove me crazy. Absolutely unusable for my first three days there. Didn't ever once get connected to the internet in the room or in the common areas. Staff said they are trying to work on it, etc. Last night it connected off and on. Overall wifi basically was unplugged for me.

Don't know about the suites at all as I had a standard room.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
Thanks, will have spouse and two of the teenage kids there in April. Sure the kinks will be worked out by then.

Appreciate the first reviews.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:10 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
I echo the earlier comments. Everyone's trying really hard, but it's just not what you would expect from a place like this.

A few additional comments:

The restaurants are a circus. Clearly there was no training. Wrong orders, forgotten requests, several servers checking on you every 2 minutes. No English. On the flip side, everyone tries hard and is super friendly. They just have never been told how to wait tables or run restaurants.

Taxi mafia is frustrating. You will have to pay a lot to leave the resort. There is no way we found around this. There is a shuttle that will take you to Punta Cana village (shops and a few restaurants- no nightlife) and to another stop at a restaurant called La Yola. I would not recommend any of that.

Concierge is completely in over their head. They have no connections, they can't consistently get you anything and when they can it takes forever and comes at a higher price than suggested. It would have been nice to take a golf cart or bikes around the area, but the golf cart guy (like the taxi guy, shuttle guy, etc.) wasn't available and they would have to call someone else who charged higher prices and maybe wasn't available right away. They ended up never getting back to us on that.

Just accept that you won't have internet while you're here. You might get a few pages to load but it's very very bad internet.

The beach is nice and there is ample seating. Same with pool.

The property is new and the facilities are nice (aside from the bathroom door thing, which is weird).

I did not get upgraded as a platinum. The room was fine, with a nice balcony with a few seats. Did not get a chance to see a suite.

Overall, the weather was beautiful (though a little windy), the beach nice and the price on points was not a bad value. There's just a lot of very small, easily fixable things that need to be addressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.