Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel to stay at in Barcelona?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel to stay at in Barcelona?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MusicMan216
Bumping this thread, as it's been about three years. Has anything of note changed recently? It's our first visit to Barcelona and I'm unsure on the hotel. Going to be staying on Friday-Sunday at the end of April, and was hoping to cash in a couple of SNAs. I've got the double night and stay credit promotion right now and the price difference is about $85/night for Le Meridien vs. W or Grand Hotel Central (Design Hotel.) Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Not much has changed really. Usual Platinum benefits don't apply at the Grand Central although they do seem to be upgrading rooms at least. I like to location better than the LM.

Perhaps you could book refundable rates at both the W and LM, apply your SNAs, and cancel whichever one doesn't clear 5 days out.

When using points, the value now comes via Marriott, with the Renaissance and Cotton House both at 15K SPG points or less thanks to the 3:1 conversion ratio.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Was there last weekend and could not recommend Le Meridien more. It's by far the best location on Las Ramblas in the heart of it all. Great rooms and if you can get upgraded so much the better. Superb spread at breakfast too.

If you're there for the beach, the W is fine, but it's really out of the way.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by craigthemif
When using points, the value now comes via Marriott, with the Renaissance and Cotton House both at 15K SPG points or less thanks to the 3:1 conversion ratio.
I hadn't noticed it was that good value. I'd definitely give Cotton House a try...
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Marriott definitely changes the equation.

Last year I was booked in the four points for Barcelona until the merger happened. Switch to the renaissance downtown and couldn't have been happier. Great location for what was a nominal extra amount of SPG points
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
Stayed at the Grand Central last December. Was "upgraded" to one room class higher than what I booked, not sure what the difference would have been. The bathroom was a little odd as it just had a sliding glass door next to the toilet that didn't full close (just a small gap) so you could see in from the bed. Hotel staff was very nice, always greeted us. They provide plats with a mobile hotspot which was really nice having wifi all throughout the city. Just on the edge of the gothic district which has so many neat restaurants and shops. Pool on the roof was pretty sweet, it was December so we didn't get to use but they had daily happy hour which included free food and drinks. They also provided us two free drinks at the downstairs bar. There was a subway stop about a block and a half away. I wasn't a huge fan of Las Ramblas and liked the gothic district way more, so when we go again won't hesitate to stay there again.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

My pick at the moment is probably the Grand Hotel Central when it's at an equal or lower price than the Le Meridien as to me they have the most attractive rooms and the best service.

They have no obligations to SPG Platinum members, but both times I got upgraded from a lowest category room to one below suite.
Not much has changed really. Usual Platinum benefits don't apply at the Grand Central although they do seem to be upgrading rooms at least. I like to location better than the LM.
Originally Posted by discostu
Stayed at the Grand Central last December. Was "upgraded" to one room class higher than what I booked, not sure what the difference would have been. The bathroom was a little odd as it just had a sliding glass door next to the toilet that didn't full close (just a small gap) so you could see in from the bed. Hotel staff was very nice, always greeted us. They provide plats with a mobile hotspot which was really nice having wifi all throughout the city. Just on the edge of the gothic district which has so many neat restaurants and shops. Pool on the roof was pretty sweet, it was December so we didn't get to use but they had daily happy hour which included free food and drinks. They also provided us two free drinks at the downstairs bar. There was a subway stop about a block and a half away. I wasn't a huge fan of Las Ramblas and liked the gothic district way more, so when we go again won't hesitate to stay there again.
Thanks for the suggestions! Just got a BRG for Grand Hotel Central, that makes it about 12 EUR/night cheaper than Le Meridien. Looking forward to this stay!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K

The Cotton House is 90k Marriott points and the Renaissance is 80k. How did you get them for 15k SPG points?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ritz not bad via transfer

does W offer SU4 awards?

any new design hotels?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by fsufan6000
The Cotton House is 90k Marriott points and the Renaissance is 80k. How did you get them for 15k SPG points?
Cotton house is 45K Marriott point per night and the Ren is 40K. Perhaps you were looking at the cost for two nights.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by michelin
Cotton house is 45K Marriott point per night and the Ren is 40K. Perhaps you were looking at the cost for two nights.
Oops. You are right. I was looking at 2 nights.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
The Grand Hotel Central has been removed as a Starwood property sincs the beginning of 2018. A pity if you ask me, location was perfect and service was outstansing. Hopefully another property will be added soon in Barcelona.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Remcod
The Grand Hotel Central has been removed as a Starwood property sincs the beginning of 2018. A pity if you ask me, location was perfect and service was outstansing. Hopefully another property will be added soon in Barcelona.
Still a great hotel. It was always cheaper to book it on Tablet.com and if you had Tablet Plus, you'd get better perks than when they were with SPG anyway.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, some other stuff
One of my very favorite SPG suites is at the W Barcelona. Ocean+city view, wrap-around. It's huge and fantastic, especially when traveling with a SO. (There are only a few of them - they're at the leading edge "point" of the hotel, so only one per floor and I don't believe all floors have them. Recommend confirming in advance with a suite upgrade!) As others have noted, it's a nice walk to Las Ramblas and quick by taxi.... but personally I'd skip it and stick to the La Barceloneta area, at least for food. Plenty of little local spots just off the main street. Which just so happens to be closer to the W anyway!
Old May 27, 2018, 1:05 pm

I am confused and need help .Which starwoods or Marriott should I select,for the vacation stay with family. Access to executive lounge, breakfast and close to attractions is important. Please advice .
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Perfect Hotel for Las Rambals

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Was there last weekend and could not recommend Le Meridien more. It's by far the best location on Las Ramblas in the heart of it all. Great rooms and if you can get upgraded so much the better. Superb spread at breakfast too.

If you're there for the beach, the W is fine, but it's really out of the way.

Couldn't agree more. Our platinum upgrade was to a newer room. Rooms are small, but that is to be expected in a city hotel. Service was fantastic. My MIL left cash in the safe and it was returned to us without issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.