Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Charlotte & Le Meridien Charlotte North Carolina

Sheraton Charlotte & Le Meridien Charlotte North Carolina

Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by heakja
According to Starwoodhotels.com: Le Méridien Charlotte - Opening August, 2014.
Aw dang, too late for my next trip. Oh well maybe next time.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:57 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
So, I'm going to be in Charlotte in mid-September and as mentioned previously the search shows two hotels, the Charlotte Center City Hotel and the Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, so presumably the no-name one is going to be the LM as discussed. What is interesting is that the no-name one is currently a Cat3 while the Sheraton is a Cat4, so if I make a points or points+cash reservation for the no-name one in mid-September, assuming everything stays on schedule (a big assumption I know), I guess worst case is they put me in the Sheraton Hotel, but realistically I should be in the LM.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Just read the reviews on the Sheraton at spg.com and thinking I need to avoid this place until the renovations are finished which won't be until the end of May. Sounds like a disaster. The other Sheraton by the airport was disgusting a couple of years ago. I guess it'll be the ratty Four Points on Woodlawn again...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:44 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Any update on these hotels? I booked the Charlotte Center City Hotel for a stay in mid-September on a cheap cash+points rate, but based on this quote I just found on starwoodhotels.com:
Charlotte Center City Hotel will be unveiled as the new Le Méridien Charlotte in Fall 2014
So it sounds like they are delaying the re-branding from the August 2014 date (since that would be Summer 2014). Hoping the rooms at least are renovated ...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Just completed a stay here this past week. It looks like they're close, and they were making active progress on the Le Meridien side lobby the days I was there. The Sheraton side lobby was attractive; couldn't really tell how the Le Meridien side would turn out, but it looks like it'll be consistent.

Our room was on the Le Meridien side, and the front desk told me both towers had been updated. Our room was fine and had some nice touches, but overall I was disappointed by the lack of attention to detail. The wallpaper was either old or, if new, done pretty poorly in some places (peeling, etc.) They hadn't (yet) replaced air handling grilles in the main room or bathroom, so while the new bathroom tile/fixtures were nice, the dirty, rusted grille added a certain shabbiness that was disappointing.

The front desk staff was pretty unimpressive, too. The night we arrived we learned they had the water shut off to our tower during the day, so we had no hot water at first--and the water we did have was copper colored. I called the desk and they suggested I run the water. When I said I had done so, they said they'd send someone up. We never saw the maintenance person, and the front desk never called back. When I called again, they said to continue to let the water run. Eventually get got hot (and clear) water, but some kind of follow up from the front desk would have been great.

This may be a great renovation in the end, but I'm not particularly eager to go back, based on my stay.

Last edited by FBKSan; Oct 24, 2014 at 8:54 pm
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm here now. It's an odd place. I booked the "Center City" hotel and went in an entrance branded Sheraton with a Le Meridien sign a few metres down the road. There is absolutely no branding in the rooms.

Positives: I quite like the design of both the room and the common areas - For those of you who are familiar with it, it's like a slightly cheaper version of the Intercontinental Montreal. The staff downstairs were sharp and seem helpful.

Negatives: There appears to be a bit of a problem with attention to detail. There are no free power sockets next to the beds and the one on the desk doesn't work. The clock is set to the wrong time (personal bugbear of mine) and the wireless phone was out of battery as it hadn't been stowed properly. The Internet is also really slow and unreliable at the moment.

I'm going to go check out the lounge later.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Turns out there is a socket on each bedside lamp, but that one of them doesn't work! Really oddly one of the light switches turns off the power charging the telephone and I think also a power socket at the other end of the room.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:50 am

Any recent stays at the Le Meridien? (I don't see a master thread for this property. Sorry if I missed.)
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:28 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Based on online reviews I've seen, this is the basic gist of what I'm picking up from Le Méridien:

- Renovations to the public areas are very sharp and contemporary; lots of wood and black/white with splashes of yellow.
- Room upgrades aren't as well received: corners appear to have been cut since wallpaper is peeling, the beds have metal frames that are proving hazardous to toes and bathrooms have rusty bits and the glass shower screens are short enough to the point that water splashes out everywhere.
- Not much has been said about public areas and facilities but Le Méridien is planning to introduce a rooftop bar within the next few months that should provide a new option in Charlotte.

Seems like a bit of a shame but hopefully the hotel will get its act together seeing as it just opened in December. I love the Le Méridien chain and seeing them expand in the US is nothing less than amazing; bring it on.

khabah
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Just got back from a two-nighter and I can confirm that Le Meridien is open, in the same building as the Sheraton (it's my understanding that the building used be the Adams Mark, the largest hotel in town, and they split it in two). I would describe this hotel as not quite ready for primetime:
- The lobby is very nice. Had a drink at the bar and ate at the hotel restaurant, both pretty good
- The pantry in the Sheraton is sparsely stocked
- No Starbucks or coffee place here. However the did give me a free cup of tea at the Sheraton bar
- Nothing right across the street, it's in a little isolated spot. But downtown Charlotte is somewhat compact so you can walk to restaurants. It's also a very short walk to the County jail, if that's what brings you to Charlotte
- The room was nice
- The bathroom really felt like and afterthought. Not enough towels
- Hard to use espresso machine with no milk

I guess I would stay there again but location wise the Westin or Aloft seem better
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Any recent stays at the Le Meridien? (I don't see a master thread for this property. Sorry if I missed.)
Staying at the LM side right now - so far it's a mixed bag. High level, worth it if the price is right but I think I will likely return to the Westin or Aloft next time (I just like to be able to walk to local restaurants / Starbucks in the AM). Still need to check out the gym, can report back on that.

The good:
+ Cool LM lobby - very chic
+ Just had a nice meal at the bar (same food as the restaurant)
+ Nice staff so far, esp. at the bar
+ In a basic King right now, but the furnishings to me are fairly good. Less of the LM white/clean aesthetic - but warmer colors, and most ^, a regular height desk! I detest the LM "high desk" that's incredibly comfortable after a short seating
+ Illy machine in the room (not every LM has this...looking at you LM Dallas Galleria)
+ Got a nice welcome note from the "SPG & VIP Services Manager" (noting that it was my first stay at the property), along with a nice wooden gift tray/box of different chocolate items

The less good:
- Parking situation is a joke. As noted elsewhere, it's a joint Sheraton garage, but there is ZERO signage for the LM. It's an endless walk that eventually dumps you into the Sheraton side.
- Location just isn't Uptown (aka downtown) Charlotte - it may be close, but I personally wouldn't be walking up to the busier area
- Toilet is loud when flushing...and then stays weirdly loud for a while after that. Hard to explain but definitely different...
- I understand they had to split the Adams Mark into two hotels due to size...but it's just a knock against the LM exclusivity I've come accustomed to (had to wade through hundreds of convention-goers on the Sheraton side just to get to the LM lobby)

The ugly:
- - - 3 suites available for booking - but of course I got the "no suites available line". Sorry, I just don't buy the "inventory may not match up to what is seen online/the app" - if this is truly the case, Starwood you need to get realtime inventory already

Last edited by UA-NYC; Mar 24, 2015 at 6:16 pm
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Staying at the LM side right now - so far it's a mixed bag. High level, worth it if the price is right but I think I will likely return to the Westin or Aloft next time (I just like to be able to walk to local restaurants / Starbucks in the AM). Still need to check out the gym, can report back on that.

The good:
+ Cool LM lobby - very chic
+ Just had a nice meal at the bar (same food as the restaurant)
+ Nice staff so far, esp. at the bar
+ In a basic King right now, but the furnishings to me are fairly good. Less of the LM white/clean aesthetic - but warmer colors, and most ^, a regular height desk! I detest the LM "high desk" that's incredibly comfortable after a short seating
+ Illy machine in the room (not every LM has this...looking at you LM Dallas Galleria)
+ Got a nice welcome note from the "SPG & VIP Services Manager" (noting that it was my first stay at the property), along with a nice wooden gift tray/box of different chocolate items

The less good:
- Parking situation is a joke. As noted elsewhere, it's a joint Sheraton garage, but there is ZERO signage for the LM. It's an endless walk that eventually dumps you into the Sheraton side.
- Location just isn't Uptown (aka downtown) Charlotte - it may be close, but I personally wouldn't be walking up to the busier area
- Toilet is loud when flushing...and then stays weirdly loud for a while after that. Hard to explain but definitely different...
- I understand they had to split the Adams Mark into two hotels due to size...but it's just a knock against the LM exclusivity I've come accustomed to (had to wade through hundreds of convention-goers on the Sheraton side just to get to the LM lobby)

The ugly:
- - - 3 suites available for booking - but of course I got the "no suites available line". Sorry, I just don't buy the "inventory may not match up to what is seen online/the app" - if this is truly the case, Starwood you need to get realtime inventory already
Thank you! I have another Charlotte trip coming in May. This will be helpful!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Thank you! I have another Charlotte trip coming in May. This will be helpful!
No worries - I love the LM brand and really want them to be successful with all the new US properties...just a bit less of a positive reaction here than what I felt at the awesome Philly / Tampa properties.

Post-script - I did get a call from the front desk saying they had a suite ready for me. I appreciate the follow-up...but too late for me on this stay.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best part yet

...the gym! It's actually a Sheraton Fitness (so shared w/both properties). One of the better ones I've been to in recent memory - 14 total cardio machines, about 10 LifeFitness resistance stations, full dumbbell set. And a double height ceiling, which makes it feel nice and spacious.

There's also an indoor pool if that's something you're looking for.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Stayed here last week and would have to agree on the toilet comment. Sounds like an airplane toilet on initial flush and then continues to make sounds for another 2-3 minutes. Shower design is a joke with the half glass door thing.

Also agree on parking situation. Very poorly designed. Better to park outside next to the LM and walk to the front lobby instead of navigating inside. Also the gate to go in/out is sometimes open so some people get free parking.

Breakfast amenity is taken in the lobby restaurant but very confusing. On check-in I was only given one voucher, but apparently you're supposed to be given one for each day. Also, I was told I can order up to $14 on the menu, but on day 2 I ordered something over $14 and told not to worry about it.

The hotel is also within walking distance to a small area with lots of shops and restaurants.

Will try out the Sheraton in the near future, but torn between whether I'd stay here or the Westin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.