Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Maria Cristina, San Sebastian, Spain 2013 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Maria Cristina, San Sebastian, Spain 2013 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Arrow Hotel Maria Cristina, San Sebastian, Spain 2013 on [Master Thread]

Not been an update on the hotel for a while so thought I'd add a quick review of the weekend I've just had. Booked on a good corporate rate a few weeks out and looking at the reservation a few days before arrival noticed the room type changed from 'bog standard' to 'deluxe, river view'. I was also pleased to see an email from the concierge a few weeks before the stay giving lots of ideas for things to do and restaurants to visit. I contacted them a day or so before arrival to arrange a car transfer from Bilbao airport. Quite pricey at €180 each way but it is a fair old distance at 130km or so. They did say that you can reduce the rate to €150 by paying cash direct to the driver as the fare only attracts tax when added to your room account.

Driver was waiting for me at Bilbao airport as promised and whisked me off in a nice Merc to the hotel where check-in was dealt with quickly and very well by the friendly staff. The porter took my bag direct from the car and it appeared in my room a minute or so after I got there. I had noticed that the reservation had switched again to a 'terrace suite' on the morning of my arrival so was pleased to have this confirmed on check-in.

The suite itself was fantastic - beautifully furnished with a fantastic terrace and the most enormous bed. There was a bottle of local liqueur as a welcome gift in the room along with a card. Bed was super comfortable.

Took breakfast as my platinum amenity and had full access to the buffet each morning which had a very good selection. Staff were without exception excellent, all very friendly and eager to help.

San Sebastián itself is a great little city to explore and the hotel is very well placed for the old town with its tapas bars. There was even a map in the room marking the best ones.

Overall, I'd say this is probably one of my top 3 SPG hotels in Europe (the others being the Pulitzer and the W Paris).

Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation Moderator Note

An extensive pre-renovation Master Thread for this property can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
nice report ant_west....
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by ant_west
Not been an update on the hotel for a while so thought I'd add a quick review of the weekend I've just had. Booked on a good corporate rate a few weeks out and looking at the reservation a few days before arrival noticed the room type changed from 'bog standard' to 'deluxe, river view'. I was also pleased to see an email from the concierge a few weeks before the stay giving lots of ideas for things to do and restaurants to visit. I contacted them a day or so before arrival to arrange a car transfer from Bilbao airport. Quite pricey at €180 each way but it is a fair old distance at 130km or so. They did say that you can reduce the rate to €150 by paying cash direct to the driver as the fare only attracts tax when added to your room account.

Driver was waiting for me at Bilbao airport as promised and whisked me off in a nice Merc to the hotel where check-in was dealt with quickly and very well by the friendly staff. The porter took my bag direct from the car and it appeared in my room a minute or so after I got there. I had noticed that the reservation had switched again to a 'terrace suite' on the morning of my arrival so was pleased to have this confirmed on check-in.

The suite itself was fantastic - beautifully furnished with a fantastic terrace and the most enormous bed. There was a bottle of local liqueur as a welcome gift in the room along with a card. Bed was super comfortable.

Took breakfast as my platinum amenity and had full access to the buffet each morning which had a very good selection. Staff were without exception excellent, all very friendly and eager to help.

San Sebastián itself is a great little city to explore and the hotel is very well placed for the old town with its tapas bars. There was even a map in the room marking the best ones.

Overall, I'd say this is probably one of my top 3 SPG hotels in Europe (the others being the Pulitzer and the W Paris).
Do you recall if there was any audio equipment, like a Bose or an alarm clock that docks iPhones? I like some music in the background and usually lug my jambox along, but prefer not to if not needed. Ws score well in this regard, but this will be my first time at this particular property. Thanks for the photos, I believe that's the very type of suite we have reserved.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Jun 28, 2013 at 2:34 pm Reason: Removed photos from quote for easier loading/user experience
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Do you recall if there was any audio equipment, like a Bose or an alarm clock that docks iPhones? I like some music in the background and usually lug my jambox along, but prefer not to if not needed. Ws score well in this regard, but this will be my first time at this particular property. Thanks for the photos, I believe that's the very type of suite we have reserved.
There was a dock next to the bed - don't think I used it so can't give you any more information than that! There wasn't one in the lounge part of the suite from memory (and can't see one in my photos). There was a DVD player under the TV. I simply played music from my iPad which did me fine.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by ant_west
There was a dock next to the bed - don't think I used it so can't give you any more information than that! There wasn't one in the lounge part of the suite from memory (and can't see one in my photos). There was a DVD player under the TV. I simply played music from my iPad which did me fine.
Thanks, here now. There is a Bose dock in the living room, in addition to the bedroom alarm/dock. Alas, I forgot my adapter, my wife has the iPhone 5 which of course needs the lightning plug...so both hotel devices will remain silent I'm afraid. My bad. ---------

Scratch that! I'm in BCN at the LM, I've been posting on the wrong thread.

Last edited by jamienbaker; Jun 30, 2013 at 4:57 am
Old Jun 30, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Had a similar room back in Sept 2012. One of my all time favorite properties. Spa was closed then, is it reopen now? So much good food near by!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by chanp
Had a similar room back in Sept 2012. One of my all time favorite properties. Spa was closed then, is it reopen now? So much good food near by!
I assume so since room has spa literature. Last I was here was in 2006, so well before the recent renovatins. Agree re eats! ---------

Never mind, I posted on the wrong board. I'll be in San Sebastián soon. Sorry.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
will be staying there in a week and will post my thoughts on the property
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, BA Gold, *A Gold
any news on this property? thinking about a family holiday in summer. how is it for kids?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Riddell
any news on this property? thinking about a family holiday in summer. how is it for kids?
Depends on age of kids, I suppose. If toddlers and deciding between San Sebastián and Orlando, well...that's easy.

My wife and I visited last summer for 3 days and are returning for a week this July. One of our fave SPG hotels in Europe. Grand, but not stuffy, the staff was excellent and maintained a very accommodating, relaxing vibe. Not pretentious or stuffy like Gritti in Venice. Beach areas were gorgeous and seemed to have good facilities. This year we are going to rent a car and explore the surrounding areas a bit. Truthfully, we go for the food, I believe San Sebastián is home to some ridiculous number of 3 star restaurants. But you don't need to drop a fortune or dress up to be remarkably well fed. No pool or water slides or anything like that, but plenty to explore on foot and rental car isn't mandatory.

Can't offer more without knowing some of your wants. We basically have a week every July to go anywhere in Europe we choose, there's plenty we haven't seen yet so the fact that we are returning to a city we've already gotten a taste of should tell you something. Hotel is truly stunning, we had a great suite but on the second floor and facing the rear, so no water view. But an amazing amount of square footage. Never took breakfast at the hotel, but thoroughly enjoyed the bar and saw plenty of families milling about. Good luck!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, BA Gold, *A Gold
thanks, that sounds ok. so there is a private beach? because as i saw it on the homepage the beach is about a 10min walk from the hotel, right?
still not sure about san sebastian or the W Barcelona.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Riddell
thanks, that sounds ok. so there is a private beach? because as i saw it on the homepage the beach is about a 10min walk from the hotel, right?
still not sure about san sebastian or the W Barcelona.
Public beach but with nice facilities, chair rentals, etc. Don't know if hotel has anything on the beach (such as a designated area). 10 minutes at MOST, I bet you'll have toes in the sand within 5.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
I stayed for one night in July during the Heineken Jazz Festival. Was upgraded at check-in to the royal suite - nicest upgrade I have ever scored.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Clearly an out of the way location, but worth every km of the trip. Superb town, food central, spectacular beauty, relaxing or stimulating - you choose.

I think we were the first SPG status guests on the re-opening. A superb stay start to finish, a points redemption given largest non-suite room on property. Staff, valet (which I normally hate), bar, food, proximity,amenities, Wi-Fi all perfect (while they were still moving in the last of the lobby furniture!)

One of our favourite hotels anywhere, photos are very representative of this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.