Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Favorite Starwood properties in Vancouver BC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Hello Everybody,

I'm looking for advice from people about their favorite Starwood properties in Vancouver. My wife and I will be traveling there this winter for our anniversary for three nights, and I will be using starpoints to book the hotel.
What are your recent experiences with the three hotels downtown (Westin Grand, Westin Bayshore, and Sheraton Wall Centre)? Most of the discussions on the individual hotel threads are a little old now, so I was hoping for info on the current situation in the hotels.
We are looking for something upscale and modern, not over the top romantic though. Also, I will have a car, so access to public transit is not a key factor.
What are you thoughts on using all points, or going for cash & points instead?

Thanks!

I should add that I anticipate being a SPG Gold member by the time of our stay.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:14 pm

starwood property

Westin Bay Shore, on the bay at the entrance of Stanley park is our favorite destination in V.C. A room at the Tower will give you a bigger room with great view.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC-SE (MM), Hilton-Diamond (lifetime)
Have stayed at all of them and while all are fine I agree that the Bayshore is the best for vacation travel. Have not stayed there since 2011 so cannot comment on current amenities offered.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:41 am

They are all nice. The Grand is closer to the stadium & arena. Some nice restaurants in the area. All (small) suites. The Bayshore is right on the harbour. Well located for walking, Stanley Park, a bit more upscale. The Wall is increasingly my property of choice. Nice lounge, good upgrades, very central to all the sights.

Cheers,
Old Jun 1, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
We are SPG gold and just got back from our anniversary weekend at the Bayshore. We always ask to stay in the large corner room 315, 415 etc. The rooms have huge windows and you have a to die for view of Stanley park, all the boats going by, and seaplanes landing. I would park your car while you are there unless you are leaving the downtown area. When I asked the front desk about a shuttle to shopping they gave us a taxi voucher. We used Cash and Points and it came to around $100 per nights for a upgraded room. Parking is close to $40 per night although they messed up our bill so we got parking for free.

Last edited by tugg1; Jun 1, 2013 at 8:00 am
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:16 am

I've been to all 3 within the last 6 months... They're all perfectly nice, and I could see staying at any of them again -- it just depends what you like.

The Bayshore is a bit away from the action -- it's an uphill 5 or 6 blocks to Robson, the nearest business district, another couple blocks to the West End. Easy to get cabs, but I find the location a bit inconvenient in winter. Not sure how it would be with a car. In summer, I don't mind the walk. Great views back into the city and across Coal Harbor from the East side of the tower; I haven't stayed on the West side, but I'd expect similarly great views of the park and bay. Rooms seem to be generally large. Tower lobby was under construction in January -- worth checking if they're done. Facility feels like a resort -- lots of windows, views, relatively big spaces.

The Grand is very small, all suites, but probably still the smallest average room size of the three, and fewer rooms by a wide margin. I've only been here once -- a high floor king bedded room on the East side, facing the Arena. An alright view in a city of amazing views. That said, this is best hard and soft product in town from *wood -- most recently updated, they do the small stuff better than the bayshore (e.g. umbrellas in each room, vs. limited supply at the concierge desk, higher-quality bathrobes, etc.), and the piano-shaped building is fairly cool. On Robson, a block from Granville, I'd like the location more a block farther away from things, but it's in the heart of it all for sure.

The Wall Centre is actually my favorite in town, all things considered. It's on a sleepy block, but there are well-populated streets within 3 blocks in 3 directions. It's a massive conference hotel/condo tower, and it feels pretty much that way, but as a result it has both a lounge and a useful upgrade pool, particularly in winter if there's nothing major going on in town. Make sure they finished the renovations they were doing to the tower with the lounge and all the suites, and be sure and book into that one. There are some nice (and large) west-facing corner rooms with balconies that have absolutely stunning views. I don't especially like the rooms in the other tower.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Westin Bayshore for me. I feel so relaxed when i'm there overlooking the mountains.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Couple other data points... The spa at the Westin is very nice. Certainly the best spa in a SPG property in Canada that I can think of (that isn't really saying very much, is it?). The food on the other hand varies from mediocre at lunch and dinner to outright poor at breakfast. Breakfasts are embarrassingly bad really, and have been for the last 2-3 years. Why they dont fix this is beyond me.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vrundmc
Westin Bayshore for me. I feel so relaxed when i'm there overlooking the mountains.
+1
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
Fortunately, it's not hard to find good food outside of the hotel and Vancouver is very walkable.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by sujitdhar
Westin Bay Shore, on the bay at the entrance of Stanley park is our favorite destination in V.C. A room at the Tower will give you a bigger room with great view.
My favorite too. Has a nice ambiance and I love watching the float planes land.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:15 am

I stayed at the Bayshore a month ago for two nights and loved it. I had a large, quiet room with a wrap-around view of Coal Harbour. The staff were astoundingly friendly and helpful.

Once the bridge is fixed, I'd love to spend a weekend there this summer.

They had quite good rates too!

I just had two nights at the Westin Seattle and six at the Westin Copley Plaza in Boston. The Bayshore blows them all out of the water.

I've stayed at the Sheraton Wall Centre as well. Although they have free Nespresso in their lounge, the Club room was small, and it's across from a hospital. I much preferred the Bayshore's location.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies! We're leaning towards the Bayshore right now.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:35 am
Original Poster

What are the chances of getting a room upgrade when booking with points? For the Westin Grand, I can book an upper level view room with points, but I can only book a basic room at the Bayshore. I just don't want to get stuck looking at condo buildings if I expect a view of Stanely Park.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kc7sqd
What are the chances of getting a room upgrade when booking with points? For the Westin Grand, I can book an upper level view room with points, but I can only book a basic room at the Bayshore. I just don't want to get stuck looking at condo buildings if I expect a view of Stanely Park.
Call the hotel directly and ask them what it will cost you in money or points for a guaranteed view- they are very good about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.