Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Lodge at Sonoma Resort, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: platbrownguy
Hotel website: The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa

Resort fee includes (hat tip to sg59) includes: internet, daily hike, yoga, 2hr free bicycle rental, winetasting and minibus to Sonoma square. resort fee also covers daily Sangria (if you like that), two bottles of water daily, a single use $10 discount voucher that you can use at The Bean and bottle or The Spa. There is daily yoga and a local hike, as platinum we could rent a bike free for two hours. Reception have free coffee, mini muffins and croissants about 8.30 am, and fruit and cookies in the afternoon about 4pm, before wine tasting.

Breakfast: option of 1,000 points or breakfast. Breakfast allowance is $30 pp (max 2). (Update 5/11/2019: YMMV on breakfast; there is a meager "continental buffet" and depending on the wait staff you may be permitted to order eggs and sides for free as well.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Hilton & Marriott Elite

(Yes, I searched... there was nothing in over six months)

Has anyone been to the Renaissance Lodge at Sonoma recently? I'm staying in a cottage with a friend for a quick girls spa getaway next month. How's the spa? The restaurant? Any winery tours recommended? Does the hotel offer any or should I book before hand?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Marcia
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I haven't been there recently, so take my advice through the filter of being potentially old info.

The onsite spa is wonderful, but the onsite restaurant (Carneros) is outstanding--perhaps the best I've been to at any Marriott. Breakfast and dinner were equally impressive, both in terms of the food and service.

For winery tours, the options are limitless. Some of my favorites are Robert Mondavi, Opus One, Beringer, Sterling, J, and Caymus. Plenty of companies offer van or limo tours either to a pre-selected set of wineries or ones you choose. If you have no idea, then use the hotel concierge and I'm sure they'll do you right.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I haven't been to the Lodge in Sonoma in two years, but I would agree with everything DJ said. The restaurant is outstanding and the spa is great. The cottages are wonderful. The staff, at least during my visit, were very helpful. One excellent winery in Sonoma (about 5 minutes from the Sonoma Lodge) with a great tour is the Sebastiani Winery.

http://www.sebastiani.com/visit_us/visit_us_home.asp

On my last stay, the Lodge had a shuttle that was used to shuttle guest to anyplace in Sonoma including several of the nearby wineries.

RIP...
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
We have an 8-day award stay right before Memorial Day and will let you know how they treat this Plat.

--DD73

Last edited by Dudleydog73; Jan 12, 2008 at 10:46 am Reason: just noticed i said labor day... going in May!
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Hilton & Marriott Elite
Originally Posted by Dudleydog73
We have an 8-day award stay right before labor day and will let you know how they treat this Plat.

--DD73
I'm actually going in a few weeks so I'll update the info then.
Marcia
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:08 am

I edited my post after I noticed i stated we would be going around labor day instead of the correct Memorial Day. May is much closer then September.

If you end up going to the spa could you let me know what treatments you ended up getting and if you liked them? They seem to have a very "interesting" menu, and I have promised Mrs. Dudleydog73 an afternoon there.

--DD73
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I stayed there over the Thanksgiving holiday and really enjoyed the experience. I had a cottage as well, and I believe all of the cottages are the same, with fireplace, huge tub, spa amenities, etc. We were on the 2nd floor which, I would not recommend if you have a heave bag since you would need to carry them up the stairs or use a bellhop. They sent a platinum arrival gift which was the standard...nothing special, but good.

The spa was fantastic, (fairly high priced which is to be expected) with a garden out back with several hot tubs, each offering a nice amount of privacy with lots of foliage. There were also little cabanas out back there. In comparison to the JW Camelback spa, it was not quite as nice, but still very nice. On the hotel property, there is also a nice pool and hot tub if you choose not to do any spa services.

If you have a car, you can get to any winery very easily. I recommend the ones as you drive north (Valley of the Moon) and even all the way north into Geyserville (Silver Oak). Personally, I avoid the big wineries with popular wines that are easily found back home. I recommend hitting some of the smaller ones that are more unique. Napa Valley is also very close, so there are way to many to choose from! ^ If you plan on hitting as many as possible, I recommend the use of one of the tour companies, so you do not have to drive. California Highway Patrol has a big presence on these roads for a reason.

Lastly, I must second the recommendation to visit Carneros, the onsite (but detached) restraunt. It is popular with locals and has a great atmosphere. We sat at the bar and one of our favorites was the flatbread which is made right in front of you with Brie, Onions, Mushrooms, and arugala. Awesome!

The Sunflower Cafe in downtown, across from the square is a nice place for Breakfast or lunch. Great fresh foods and excellent coffee.

Enjoy your trip!
Old May 16, 2008, 7:38 am

I have been watching my reservation online to see what kind of platinum upgrade I may be getting for our upcoming stay and I have seen it go from a standard King Lodge room, to a Cottage, and now to a standard King Lodge Room w/ Pool View.

Does anyone have any comments on what we can expect with the pool view rooms (noisy, better view only, etc)?

Not sure why we were bumped down from a cottage but I suppose if someone was willing to pay for it they would get first dibs.

--DD73
Old May 16, 2008, 11:19 am

Was in Sonoma las month (did not stay at the Lodge though).

Wonderful surprise I had when I was there was that by simply showing my Marriott Visa at select wineries tastings were free for two people. I have the black card. All Visa Signature cards qualify. Considering tastings can be up to $15 per person the savings was significant. About 50-75 wineries were on the list with some of them being very good!
Old May 16, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Where do you get the list of the wineries with the free tastings for Visa Sig cardholders?
Old May 16, 2008, 1:40 pm

Here is the link to the wineries with free tastings for showing the Visa Signature card:

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/c...?eventId=13354

Over 60 of them!!!
Old May 18, 2008, 9:23 am

Post Checkin Update

We arrived at the Lodge yesterday afternon and were pleasantly surprised to find Britney (one of the FOMs) waiting for us with our Platinum Pass checkin materials and our key who then walked us to our upgraded Cottage room.

The GM left a personal card with a gift of a personal wine journal we can tke around with us while we visit the wineries around the area, as well as a discount card for the gift shop/spa/tasting room onsite.

All around a huge ^^ and I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE looking for a relaxing break!

--DD73
Old May 24, 2008, 12:25 pm
MGG

how do you do this..."watching my reservation online to see what kind of platinum upgrade I may be getting"
Old May 24, 2008, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by MGG
how do you do this..."watching my reservation online to see what kind of platinum upgrade I may be getting"
Sign on on Marriott.com, go to "my reservations", locate the one in question and click on "view."
Old May 24, 2008, 12:34 pm
MGG

Originally Posted by rahmanbar
Sign on on Marriott.com, go to "my reservations", locate the one in question and click on "view."
that I do all the time....I have never seen it indicate a specific room upgrade based on states etc which is what the prior posted sounded like; thanks much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.