Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Jaffa Tel Aviv, Israel, pre-opening discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/glob...33603&fid=1124

Coming to Jaffa. Construction to begin only in 2 years so it will take a while, but it's about time that they both built a new hotel in the Tel Aviv area and that Starwood got another property.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Conde Nast recently ran a piece on this new property. As of now, targeted opening is set for early-mid 2017:

The W hotel's new design-driven property in the Jaffa district will offer guests the ultimate in luxury.

A handful of well-done boutique hotels have opened in Tel Aviv recently, including the Bauhaus-style Norman, but the 127-room W—opening next spring in the ancient district of Jaffa—will be the first full-service high-design hotel of any real size in the city.

[snip]

The W will occupy a neoclassical convent and hospital, which Pawson and local artisans have restored, turning the stained glass chapel into the bar and lounge and incorporating the Crusader bastion walls into the lobby. Pawson will design the hotel in his signature minimalist style while pulling in materials and textures that reference the location, like polished stainless steel and contrasting muted bronze and red acacia wood meant to mimic the play of bright natural light and shadow experienced when walking around Jaffa. Much of the furniture will be of his own design, interspersed with Bauhaus and mid-century pieces by Shiro Kuramata and Pierre Paulin.
http://www.cntraveler.com/story/tel-...c-neighborhood

Overall looks like a nice property and I look forward to checking it out. Sheraton will probably remain my preferred spot in TA but nice to have another Starwood )err Marriott) option.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
I went on a visit about two years ago. I was interested in purchasing an apartment, but the prices were exorbitant (for Tel Aviv). I had to wear a hard hat and climb concrete slabs to get around. The views were stunning. The hotel was originally meant to be open already. They have suffered significant delay. Not sure why.

The Sheraton will continue to be the main hotel for me in Tel Aviv. It is a great property with excellent staff and well-designed (refurbished) rooms. The only let-downs are the pool area (too small) and the spa (rude, uncaring staff, poor hygiene). The former gets even worse when the hotel (under its previous management) permitted the spa to include access to the pool (for outside guests) as part of a spa package. The sooner this is stopped, the better, as there is simply no room for paying guests as it is.

Originally there were meant to be two more SPG hotels opening in Israel. A W in Jerusalem (a site was chosen) and a Westin in the middle of nowhere. However, I understand the plans for both have been shelved as a result of the merger. The owner of those two hotels is the same as for the W Jaffa/Tel Aviv.

Of more interest to me is the addition of the Ritz Carlton after the merger. That looks like a decent hotel. I've booked at stay there for October.

Last edited by d'Yquem; Aug 31, 2016 at 3:58 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by d'Yquem

Of more interest to me is the addition of the Ritz Carlton after the merger. That looks like a decent hotel. I've booked at stay there for October.
The Ritz Carlton is nice although the pool is also way too small.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: LH/*A Gold, BA/OW Emerald, EK Silver, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Looks very nice!!! I hope it will not postponed like the W Jerusalem
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:54 pm

W Tel Aviv – Jaffa

Now there's an official opening date - May 1st.
Let's see what categoey it'll be.. I'm guessing 6
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:20 am

The opening is now delayed to October 1.

No category yet, but I agree it'll likely be a 6. I wouldn't fall over if it was a 7 either... Tel Aviv ain't cheap...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:33 am

I ran into someone in a position to know in Tel Aviv last night, who mentioned the opening will be pushed to early 2018. It's still showing October 1 online, but anyone hoping for a fall opening may want to keep this in mind.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:18 pm

What is going on with construction over there? This was announce 4+ years ago....
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I've been checking the W Tel Aviv-Jaffa website now for months, eagerly wanting to make a booking for a November visit (given the indicated Oct 1 opening).

July rolled around and they still weren't accepting reservations, which wasn't a good sign.

Now the front page now says opening March 2018. Ugh.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:44 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Yeah, I asked them via their Facebook page and they were very noncommittal.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
March 2018 now.....
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I will be in Tel Aviv in late April and the hotel is still not accepting reservations. Does not really look promising, does it? Anyone who has heard something new?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by ErasmusEBS
I will be in Tel Aviv in late April and the hotel is still not accepting reservations. Does not really look promising, does it? Anyone who has heard something new?
definitely does not look promising for April
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
This is possibly the latest opening I've seen in the Starwood group...

They're, again, missing out on the key Passover revenue stream.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.