Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Shenzhen, China [Master Thread]

Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Shenzhen, China [Master Thread]

Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Thanks timol for your review.

As for Platinum Amenity, do you get 500 points on top of breakfast or it's one or the other?
It is supposed to be either or. However, when I look back at my account entries, the 500 points are there. But even without, the breakfast would be a must-take.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Add to the list of master threads.

Hi Moderators,

Please add this property to the list of master threads, thank you.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:41 am

Added Instant Awards to the wiki.

Interestingly they have car service to the airports of Guangzhou and Hong Kong besides Shenzhen. Must be a long ride.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Any recent PLAT experience in this property ?

Thank you
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Is it realistic to stay here on an overnight (18 hour) layover in Hong Kong? This seems like one of the better SPG redemption values in the area. But I won't have a Chinese visa in my U.S. passport and not sure what transit is like between here and the HK airport. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Is it realistic to stay here on an overnight (18 hour) layover in Hong Kong? This seems like one of the better SPG redemption values in the area. But I won't have a Chinese visa in my U.S. passport and not sure what transit is like between here and the HK airport. Any thoughts?
I think the answer is you won't be staying at the St Regis Shenzhen because you don't have a China visa.....

I'm not sure how it's possible that you're flying into HKG and plan to cross the border to China without a visa. Unless you're flying via CAN and get a 72h visa-free transit from the airport.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Is it realistic to stay here on an overnight (18 hour) layover in Hong Kong?
Originally Posted by hirohito888
I think the answer is you won't be staying at the St Regis Shenzhen because you don't have a China visa.....

I'm not sure how it's possible that you're flying into HKG and plan to cross the border to China without a visa. Unless you're flying via CAN and get a 72h visa-free transit from the airport.
True, such an overnight stay at the St Regis Shenzhen is not feasible for a US passport holder without a visa. However, nationals of many other countries can get a Shenzhen visa quickly at the Lo Wu MTR station (40 min taxi ride from HKIA).
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:42 am

Interesting news story about St. Regis Shenzhen

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/hacking...room-controls/
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Moriens
Interesting news story about St. Regis Shenzhen

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/hacking...room-controls/
Guess I'm in no hurry to visit Shenzhen.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
St regis Shenzhen no longer caters for International customers

A colleague went to the St Regis Shenzhen Italian restaurant on Friday (1 May 2015) which he has done a number of times. Unfortunately the Italian restaurant is no longer recognisable as Italian as the food has been "chinesed". The antipasta has to be seen to be believed. The bar according to the Duty Manager on Friday caters for the 20 something Chinese crowd and the hotel now concentrates on its Chinese clientele, rather than the needs of the international customer. This includes the various disgusting eating habits that one generally gets in mainland China.
The Duty manager went as far as to tell my colleague that this was now the St Regis policy.
I wonder if Worldwide Starwood have agreed this change?
Certainly would suggest that you treat the stays that are enthusiastic about the hotel in this thread for 2013 and 2014 as not representative of the hotel nowadays.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by philthegreek
A colleague went to the St Regis Shenzhen Italian restaurant on Friday (1 May 2015) which he has done a number of times. Unfortunately the Italian restaurant is no longer recognisable as Italian as the food has been "chinesed". The antipasta has to be seen to be believed. The bar according to the Duty Manager on Friday caters for the 20 something Chinese crowd and the hotel now concentrates on its Chinese clientele, rather than the needs of the international customer. This includes the various disgusting eating habits that one generally gets in mainland China.
The Duty manager went as far as to tell my colleague that this was now the St Regis policy.
Certainly would suggest that you treat the stays that are enthusiastic about the hotel in this thread for 2013 and 2014 as not representative of the hotel nowadays.
Well, I guess they have to lean towards the group which provides more revenue to them. Sad but I guess they're being realistic.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Well, I guess they have to lean towards the group which provides more revenue to them. Sad but I guess they're being realistic.
I think the point is that they have an international branding and this means that the hotel should be of a certain standard. If they are no longer catering for international guests they should not be part of the international branding. Also Chinese are very brand conscious and are making their decision to stay because it is an international brand.
Old May 6, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by philthegreek
Thank you for the update, I have a 3-night stay in Shenzhen and was heavily considering the Regis to be my choice since I haven't stayed at a St. Regis property yet.

I might switch venues. I get enough of that stuff every else in China.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by flye
Thank you for the update, I have a 3-night stay in Shenzhen and was heavily considering the Regis to be my choice since I haven't stayed at a St. Regis property yet.

I might switch venues. I get enough of that stuff every else in China.
Being a long term visitor to Shenzhen, 120-150 nights a year, most of mine are in the FourPoints but it is suffering from a deal of Chinesification, with the removal of the Happy Hour from the Executive 23rd floor Lounge to a second Floor room near the bar where all are welcome, if they pay a supplement.
Makes for some interesting early evenings.
Haven't yet stayed at the Sheraton near Coco Park but thinking about doing so.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, HH Gold
Angry St Regis Shenzhen China - Horrible Service

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been reading the valuable comments by all flyertalk members for years. I had such a horrible stay in this hotel that i have decided to pen this review and ask for opinion or help from other more experience members.

Stayed In St Regis Shenzhen, China for 3 days 2 nights. It was THE WORST hotel service I have ever encountered so far. Being a frequent traveller and regular in St. Regis, FS and Pen around the world, not to mention the usual other 5 star hotels or even 4 stars. This hotel service level is way below par than a 2 or 3 stars or none at all. Majority of the staff are rude and have a “I don’t care attitude” or everything you ask “I don’t know”. All they do is argue with you on everything. There is no excuse of language barrier as i speak English, Mandarin and Cantonese. Several incidents lead to my horrible experience:-

i) My sis accidentally burn her hand from an extremely hot pot of tea they served at the drawing room bar at around 9pm. We quickly walk over and seek help at the reception counter with 4 managers looking staff. One lady immediately ask which bar was it, which waiter/waitress in order to “confirm” that such incident happen?! The hand was badly burn with fingers swollen and turning red, my sis was suffering in pain and holding her tears and all they care was to confirm the incident and busy calling/looking who caused it. We told them that the top priority is to seek treatment and ask them whether they have any medication to apply or anything to help. After much argument, they reluctantly found a first aid kit with some plain bandage and one ice bag holder in it. Then they went on to answering their phone calls and pretend nothing happen. The duty manager Jacky was there but he claimed he only came here 2 weeks ago and don’t know much. I have to again ask the front desk, where is the nearest pharmacy or any place I can buy medication and they said they don’t know. In the end, I have to ask the bell boy downstairs which was helpful then anyone up there on 96 floors to walk me over to a 10 mins away pharmacy and bought some medication myself and walk back. It was 40 mins delay in treating this problem and we were so pissed off and just went back to the room where I applied the medication myself to her badly burn hand and fingers.

ii) Next day, no one called, no sign of manager apology or no one even bother to ask whether my sister hand is recovering or anything. We checked out immediately after breakfast and didn’t even bother to talk to anyone and swear in our heart that we are not coming back to this hotel again.

iii) Unfortunately, upon checking out, the HK MPV driver who was supposed to transport us back to HK Airport to catch a flight run into problem and couldn’t send us. I have to again called the manager and this time the experience was even worst. A lady called Hazel Lu was very rude and keep arguing with me that we need to book a car 4 hours before hand as the hotel has outsource all transportation to another company. I said I need to catch a flight and I am sure there are other options then waiting 4 hours for a car to come. All she did was to argue with me for 15 mins with very rude attitude then to provide any solution while my poor sis standing there with her half swallon hand. In the mean time, I saw there is a concierge with Les Clefs d’Or batch on him and he just stand there and pretend he don’t know anything. You mean in the whole of Shenzhen city they can’t find me any car to HK airport but to only wait 4 hours? In the end, Chris Lim the assistant chief butler came down and he was the most helpful one and found us a car in another 45 mins time and luckily we managed to catch the flight since we were on business class.

I don’t know what is wrong with this hotel, or does the general manager Mr Duke Nam actually exist. I am extremely unhappy with my experience, i think they are ruining the brand of St Regis, not to mention the starwood group. I wish to write in officially to alert the starwood group management for the benefit of other further customers and for the need of improvement. Where and who can i write to.

Thank you very much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.