Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Please use this thread to post failures or difficulties in securing Platinum upgrades, based on the published benefits of the Platinum level, which are :

"Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites"

qualified by

"Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel.
Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally.
The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties"

For a detailed discussion of the Platinum upgrade benefit, see the wiki at I'm Platinum. Why didn't I get a complimentary suite upgrade? [Master thread].

Starwood do not publish which of the various categories of Suites at each hotel are 'Standard', and which are not, so we don't know which Suites are in the 'Upgrade Pool', and which are excluded. So, if a Suite is available under the terms and qualifications of the benefit, but an upgrade is denied, and it is not absolutely clear that the Suite in question is not a "Standard Suite", then we should report that as a failure.

If you only manage to secure a rightful upgrade after challenging the front desk on check-in, or have instances where SNAs (Suite Night Upgrade) were not honoured, then you may report this too.

You may also report instances where suites are showing as available online, but not actually available at the hotel, due to (apparent) differences in real-time availability online.

Please post in standard format :

Property :
Dates(s) :
Room booked :
Room received : (if different than above):
Award stay :: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.)
BRG stay : (yes/no)
SNA(s) requested : (yes/no)
Comments :

...and include in the comments, particularly, the 'non-Standard' Suite category that you failed to secure an upgrade to.
Print Wikipost

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Property: Le Meridien Cyberport Hong Kong
Dates(s): April 1, 2014
Room booked: Smart Room
Room received: Smart Room
Award stay: No
BRG stay: No
SNA(s) requested: No
Comments: Deluxe Ocean Room views (next category up from smart room) are available. Quite surprised didnt get an upgrade when i went into my room considering i stay here 2X/month as a layover stay. Didnt bother asking to be moved as will be checking out early in the morning anyways...Usually they give out a letter detailing compli. plat. amenities like shoe shine, pressing, etc. But no welcome letter this time. Seems like the more i stay here, the less concerned they are to please/greet plats. Didnt even ask what platinum amenity i wanted....Oh well...Still a great place to stay for layovers as they do give out a lot of freebies for plats, and price is half that of sheraton and W. Great for just sleeping for the night before heading out to airport next day....btw, they offer compli. shuttle to hkg express. Saves ya 80$hkd each way by taxi.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Property: W Atlanta Downtown
Dates 3/27-31
Room Booked : Cool Corner
Room Received: Cool Corner
Award Stay: No
BRG Stay: No
SNA(s) Requested: No

Comments: Asked about upgrade at check-in and was politely told none were available.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
Property: W Atlanta Downtown
Dates 3/27-31
Room Booked : Cool Corner
Room Received: Cool Corner
Award Stay: No
BRG Stay: No
SNA(s) Requested: No

Comments: Asked about upgrade at check-in and was politely told none were available.
This is one of those properties that has limited suites. You booked a Cool Corner. The Cool Corner and Studio Suite are the Platinum upgrade at this property. The cool corner and Studio Suite are darn near identical and on opposite ends of the floor. One face North (the highway & midtown) and the other face South (downtown).

IIRC, there are only four extreme and extreme wow suites and they are definitely not Select Standard suites.

So I'm not sure how this is a "fail". Or were you thinking you would be upgraded to an extreme wow because you booked a cool corner?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Harrisburg Sheraton, yet again. After a 2 month break for MR Megabonus, I returned. Only to find "we have no upgrades or rooms on the Club Floor, sorry", and spg.com telling me Club Rooms were for sale. I don't even bother telling them, as I've never had any action taken.

One of these days I'll get here before 6pm, tell them not to check me in, cancel, book a Club Room, and see what they do.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Wink

Originally Posted by CPRich
Harrisburg Sheraton, yet again. After a 2 month break for MR Megabonus, I returned. Only to find "we have no upgrades or rooms on the Club Floor, sorry", and spg.com telling me Club Rooms were for sale. I don't even bother telling them, as I've never had any action taken.

One of these days I'll get here before 6pm, tell them not to check me in, cancel, book a Club Room, and see what they do.
I waiting for someone to do it ^^^^^
starwood have any action for property that didn't upgrade with rules / media that they promote in own media ????
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Property: Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center
Dates(s): April 17-18, 2014
Room booked: Deluxe Room: King with Exercise Bike
Room received: Club Floor King
Comments: Booked a "Deluxe Room King with Exercise Bike" in the room. I did this because I've stayed in this type of room before and they tend to be corner rooms, making them significantly bigger than a standard room. Checked the app and saw that I had been "upgraded" to a Club Floor King. I also checked the app to find that at least 2 suites were available for the night. At check-in, I asked "Any chance for an upgrade to a suite?" The front desk agent cut me off, "I've already taken care of that for you" and then grabbed the pre-made key. Sure enough, got up to the room and it was a Club King. From doing an advance booking, it looks like they have been 6-12 suites available. Not sure why they didn't want to give me one after requesting it? And not sure why the essentially downgraded me from a room with exercise bike to a room on the Club Floor?

For those interested, I have a review of the property from a past stay available here: Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center – Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina

Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:32 am

Le Meridien Abu Dhabi

Property: Le Meridien Abu Dhabi
Dates(s): April 18-20, 2014
Room booked: Deluxe Room x2
Room received: Deluxe Room x2 with another guests inside !
Comments: try checkin at 1pm they told we must wait, I told will back at 4pm. At 3:50pm again rooms are not ready, front desk told us they need next 20min. We go to lounge, at 4:15pm again ask front desk about our rooms still not ready they need to replace battery at phones. 4:30pm sameone bring our keys to lounge. We go to our deluxe rooms and when we opened doors we found that both rooms are occupied in one only bags inside and second one bags and guest inside. Go back at lobby and this time we have one deluxe room and one suite with apology for the situation .
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:36 am

Sheraton Abu Dhabi

Property: Sheraton Abu Dhabi
Dates(s): April 16-18, 2014
Room booked: Deluxe Room x2
Room received: Deluxe Room x2
Coments:: standard talking at SPG, sorry no junior suites only booked rooms ...
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:21 am
uxb
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Westin Harbour Castle

Property: Westin Harbour Castle
Dates(s): 11-12 April 2014
Room booked: Traditional double
Room received: Traditional double
Comments: Zero platinum recognition at check-in. Also, parking is now $45,-/night, which was almost as much as the room. Insane! Had a great time watching the Knicks beat the Raptors only the miss the playoffs anyway.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
HHQX888,

If you've read the "Which property in Abu Dhabi" thread, you'd know I suggest LRM.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Property: W Barcelona
Dates(s): April 25th-30th
Room booked: Wonderful Room, SNA to Studio Suite
Room received: Studio Suite
Award stay: Yes (points, 5th night free, 35% plat requalification gift)
SNA(s) requested: Yes
Comments: SNAs cleared 5 days in advance, multiple better suites available online before and after check-in for stay dates. Still a good deal.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Lappe
Property: W Barcelona
Dates(s): April 25th-30th
Room booked: Wonderful Room, SNA to Studio Suite
Room received: Studio Suite
Award stay: Yes (points, 5th night free, 35% plat requalification gift)
SNA(s) requested: Yes
Comments: SNAs cleared 5 days in advance, multiple better suites available online before and after check-in for stay dates. Still a good deal.
As far as im aware, if youve been upgraded to a suite, using SNA or upon check-in, thats still considered as a success.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by supatight80
As far as im aware, if youve been upgraded to a suite, using SNA or upon check-in, thats still considered as a success.
I agree, I don't see how this is a fail, based on the first post of this thread.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Well over 1/2 the posts in this thread do not constitute a "fail" as defined.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
So is an upgrade to a club floor room (so common in the US) at Sheraton etc when suites are available for purchase a fail or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.